Towing a "Toad"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ELeland said:
I have the SMI stay and play.  It's still in the box.  I may start tackling the installs on all the components this weekend.  anything I should watch out for?

Interesting.  I've researched a lot of different braking systems, but was not familiar with that one.  I scanned through the instruction video and it looks like it hard wires to the battery rather than running off of switched 12v power, so you should be OK if you have to go the battery disconnect route for the steering lock.  If you do end up using the battery disconnect, you would need to make sure the 12V tap is located before the disconnect.

jagnweiner said:
Interesting.  I've researched a lot of different braking systems, but was not familiar with that one.  I scanned through the instruction video and it looks like it hard wires to the battery rather than running off of switched 12v power, so you should be OK if you have to go the battery disconnect route for the steering lock.  If you do end up using the battery disconnect, you would need to make sure the 12V tap is located before the disconnect.

Understood.  I like the idea of the battery disconnect in lieu of the other alternatives to disabling the steering lock.  That one is fool proof and I have a brand new marine disconnect on the shelf left over from my boating days.

It's pretty fool proof; I'd make sure that each time after you disconnect the battery that you go back and make sure the steering is unlocked.

Many newer vehicles do not have a key as was mentioned above. Mine simply has a push button that will switch from Aux. to Ignition and Start is achieved by pushing the button while stepping on the brake pedal. It requires a pendant or remote that has the  door lock/unlock function on it to be very close by before anything will function. (I leave mine in my pocket at all times.) I believe that the pendant cannot be left in the vehicle when the doors are locked but I have yet to prove what might happen should I try it. It does scream and yell at me should I walk away with the pendant while the engine is running!!!! Not sure if what will happen either should it be put in drive by another driver once the engine is running without the pendant present. (Stall maybe??) Looks like I have some interesting experiments coming.

All this to say, how would towing this kind of vehicle be accomplished, other than on a trailer??  (2017 Dodge Journey)

Is a 2007 Jeep Liberty Limited 4 wheel drive automatic transmission capable of towed all 4 wheels down?
Thanks, Craig

Cdmrj999 asked "Is a 2007 Jeep Liberty Limited 4 wheel drive automatic transmission capable of towed all 4 wheels down?"

Yes according to Remco.  No modifications required.

http://www.remcotowing.com/Towing/Store.php 

Alfa38User said:
Not sure if what will happen either should it be put in drive by another driver once the engine is running without the pendant present. (Stall maybe??) Looks like I have some interesting experiments coming.

We visited with friends a couple of years ago - we met them at their house and then drove to the beach in separate cars for the day. As we were getting ready to head home my buddy says "Can you give me a ride home? My keys are on the kitchen table." Apparently he started the car, went back in the house, and for some reason emptied his pockets. The car did not care that the key was nowhere to be found. Not sure if all push-start vehicles work this way but we had a good laugh over that one!

Joezeppy said:
We visited with friends a couple of years ago - we met them at their house and then drove to the beach in separate cars for the day. As we were getting ready to head home my buddy says "Can you give me a ride home? My keys are on the kitchen table." Apparently he started the car, went back in the house, and for some reason emptied his pockets. The car did not care that the key was nowhere to be found. Not sure if all push-start vehicles work this way but we had a good laugh over that one!

My Tacoma works the same way, which surprised me.  I was at a car wash when I left the car running and walked away.  The attendant drove it through the wash and then had to find me for the fob when he shut it off.  I thought the vehicle should go into anti-theft mode if you try to move it without the fob.  I learned that day not to leave it running when I run into a store.

Caution on the Jeep Liberty.. They have at least two different transfer cases.. The version with Full Time 4-Wheel drive,, (as opposed to manually selected 4WD) per JEEP can not be towed,, though that was a 2313, not a 2017.  Rented one for a weekend after my wife died.  Had way too much round running to do that week (fri-sat-Sun-Mon) nice ride, would not mind having one with a manual transfer case.

The transfer case sits at the back of the transmission. It's what splits power to both front and rear axles. Neutral on the transfer case disconnects it from the transmission. Both axles rotate while being towed but not the transmission.

wackymac said:
How does the drive-line disconnect work with 4WD.  Do you need one for the front also?

No front axle disconnect is required.  On my Tacoma, it's the rear driveshaft only.  With the rear disconnected, the transfer case in 2WD, the transmission in Park, auxiliary braking system set up and unlocked steering you are good to go.  I haven't pulled it yet, but that's what the procedure states.

ELeland said:
No front axle disconnect is required.  On my Tacoma, it's the rear driveshaft only.  With the rear disconnected, the transfer case in 2WD, the transmission in Park, auxiliary braking system set up and unlocked steering you are good to go.  I haven't pulled it yet, but that's what the procedure states.

I have over 6k towed miles on my 2015. It is a manual transmission, rear drive disconnect, transfer case in 2wd. No issues.

Leland-

I saw your thread on the inverter and it jogged my memory and made me wonder how things turned out with towing the Tacoma?

Back
Top Bottom