correct battery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seabreeze331

My "google" skills fail me.
Any direction for finding the correct battery for a Onan 5.5HGJAB-1038D ?
It is factory installed in a 2005 Monaco Lakota.

I have an Onan 5.5. It doesn't have a battery. It uses the chassis or house batteries. 

Why do you think you need a battery?  Are you having a problem starting it?

Two options.. ONE: As the other poster said MOST RV's the generator runs on the house batteires.. HOWEVER it is my understand there are exceptions.... If yours is one of 'em  Suggestion 2: Remove to auto parts store and let them figure it out. (Remove the battery that is)

BEFORE removal be sure to clearly mark positive and negative leads. I recommend red/black paint, nail polish or tape.

The Lakota is a 5W, so no chassis battery. However, it might be wired to the trailer house battery bank instead.

Any medium size 12v cranking battery will do, say one with a 450 CCA rating. In fact, since most RVers don't use the rig in sub-freezing weather, a battery with a 450 MCA (instead of CCA) rating should be plenty. MCA is rated at higher temperatures than CCA.

There should be a spec statement in the owner manual for your model of genset.  Usually in the front section there will be something about Starting Batteries but the actual spec if often in an Appendix at the back.  You can download the current version of the HGJAB manual at
https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/manuals/CO_5500_7000_EVAP_Man.pdf

I checked the above document and it calls for a minimum 450 CA

I have no idea when the battery was new. Stamps on it are gone.
The battery is for both "house" and generator start.
I'm sure the only reason it still functions is due to being charged when plugged into shore power. It probably will not hold a charge very long.

The manual gives me 450cca but doesn't specify deep cycle, one 12V, two 6V, marine or auto. The rack can accommodate any arrangement but I didn't want to over power it or go to more extreme than necessary.

Just a standard A/C delco auto looks like a fix.

I just put a new carburetor on it with crossed fingers that it would start. Got lucky and after the third try it runs really good.
Can't believe it cost almost $300 for something a rebuild kit (not available) would fix.

seabreeze331 said:
The manual gives me 450cca but doesn't specify deep cycle, one 12V, two 6V, marine or auto. The rack can accommodate any arrangement but I didn't want to over power it or go to more extreme than necessary.

Just a standard A/C delco auto looks like a fix.

You can't have "too much" starting battery.  Adding more than the minimum won't overpower the generator, it will just let it crank longer, or crank when other uses have partially drained the battery.

On the other hand, you don't want just an automobile starting battery since it's also the house battery.  Starting batteries are designed to give a quick jolt of power, then immediately get recharged by the engine alternator.  Long, slow discharges like using it for house lights and power will quickly kill it.

A 450 CCA or larger marine/deep cycle battery is the minimum requirement and may serve if you don't do much boondocking.  But a pair of 6 volt golf cart batteries will give the more reserve to use for the house lights and are generally the most bang for the buck.

In any case, you need some kind of functioning battery in your 5th wheel before you take it on the road.  Among other things, it supplies the power to apply the electric brakes via the breakaway switch in case the trailer ever separates from the tow vehicle.

Thanks Lou. Had not even thought about the brakes.
Not much difference price wise for two 6V or a really good deep cycle so the twin 6's win.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom