Ford CMax Inspection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Larry0801

I had a 2013 Ford CMax using the Blue Ox Baseplate BX2639 and have experienced loosening of the attachment bolts which have been torqued twice by different companies. Recently my Ford dealer noticed frame damage (not caused by loose attachment bolts). Specifically, the attachment flange of the upper support frame to the uni-body of the vehicle (toward rear of car next to baseplate mounting bolts) failed. This was a vehicle frame failure, not a baseplate failure. It appears due to metal fatigue as a result of forces applied to the support frame through the baseplate while towing. I DO NOT KNOW if this issue is an isolated occurrence on my car or not. The baseplate attaches to the vehicle with six bolts (three on passenger side and three on driver?s side at the top of the baseplate). The baseplate has approximately 6-8 inch drop to the baseplate cross bar (attachment point for RV tow bar). There are no attachment points at the bottom of the baseplate, or its crossbar, to the vehicle.

If you own a Ford CMax using this baseplate, you may want to inspect for loose attachment bolts and the upper support frame flange (toward rear of car next to baseplate mounting bolts) for possible vehicle metal fatigue or damage. Also inspect the lower frame support (which is factory welded to the upper support frame) for metal fatigue or damage. This inspection requires removing the front bumper assembly of the vehicle.

I hope you have reported this alleged failure to both Ford and Blue Ox for their analysis. And if you believe that the base plate design caused the problem, report it to NHTSA as well.

Was this "appearance" of towing damage something a dealer tech or service manage came up with, or a pronouncement from Ford engineering? I'm not disputing it cause I have zero info, but it's a very serious claim for all the parties involved.

Another concern is that it isn't just the CMax that uses that frame. It's known as the Global C frame and is shared by many other cars:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_C1_platform

Be aware, make sure you're looking at the Global C, not the C1 section.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom