RVforum Donations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Betty Brewer

Moderator Emeritus
So here I am  at the 2018 RVForum Event in  Quartzsite, AZ  a Rally that began for some of us in 1995.  Each year  I  give attendees the opportunity to express their gratitude for membership in the RVForum by passing an envelope.  Many of us have found tremendous value in the information we've shared and  learned on the RVForum .  I pass around a white envelope for donations but if you are not  attending Q rally, just look at the line  on home page that says, DONATE and easy peasy you too can contribute to sharing the lifestyle , the information and the value gained as we share the road!

We are Framily and support each other as such!

Hi, info from a conversation i had with Tom last year:

Based on someone's donation of $1 PayPal took $0.33, so the net donation was $0.67.

Paypal has several different ways and fee scales to receive money, including some discounted rates for charities and fundraisers.  I'm not sure what arrangements Tom has in place, so I won't conjecture.  However, in general, Paypal charges a fixed transaction fee plus a percentage of the amount, so small donations could get hit harder than larger ones.

If they are taking a cut next time I?ll do it differently.
One can send money by PayPal to friends and family without a charge.

I consider Tom a friend.

I prefer to not use PayPal either. I?d like all funds to go directly to this great forum. Can I send a check to an individual or am I over thinking this?
Thanks, Jeff

jackiemac said:
Hi, info from a conversation i had with Tom last year:

Based on someone's donation of $1 PayPal took $0.33, so the net donation was $0.67.

I dont believe this is accurate information.

Attachments

• fees-page.pdf
    36.5 KB · Views: 5
Paul & Ann said:
Hopefully Tom can advise, but that info was from a communication between us last year. Perhaps it has changed?

[quote author=Paul & Ann1]I dont believe this is accurate information.[/quote]

Sorry Paul, the example that Jackie quoted was from an actual transaction, and agrees with the table linked in your message, for folks who pay by credit card. I have no desire to handle credit card transactions, and PayPal makes a convenient way for folks without a PayPal account to donate.

PayPal handles the transaction and credits our account with the net amount. The fee is $0.30 + 2.9% of the transaction amount. Check the math and you'll see it was accurate to $0.001. The fixed part of the fee ($0.30) is a decreasing percentage of the total as the transaction amount increases. Fortunately, typical donations are significantly larger than $1.

Occasionally folks ask to pay by check, and I send them the info privately.

Paul & Ann said:
That info us for friends and family.

See below which may be what RV Forum falls under

https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/how-can-my-charity-or-nonprofit-use-paypal-to-collect-donations-faq1068

Tom said:
Sorry Paul, the example that Jackie quoted was from an actual transaction, and agrees with the table linked in your message, for folks who pay by credit card. I have no desire to handle credit card transactions, and PayPal makes a convenient way for folks without a PayPal account to donate.

PayPal handles the transaction and credits our account with the net amount. The fee is $0.30 + 2.9% of the transaction amount. Check the math and you'll see it was accurate to $0.001. The fixed part of the fee ($0.30) is a decreasing percentage of the total as the transaction amount increases. Fortunately, typical donations are significantly larger than $1.

Beat me to it

Tom said:

Ok, I got you now Tom.  Jackiemac's example could lead one to believe that Paypal would take 1/3 of your donation if you paid by credit card regardless of the amount.  I would guess other people would believe the same.

I sent you a donation this AM please Private Message me to let me know how much you received.

Thanks

Paul

[quote author=Paul & Ann]Jackiemac's example could lead one to believe that Paypal would take 1/3 of your donation if you paid by credit card regardless of the amount.  I would guess other people would believe the same.[/quote]

That's why I don't quote it publicly. I believe the (private or semi-private) communication Jackie referred to explained it was an extreme case and that the total fee decreases as a percentage of the transaction amount.

I sent you a donation this AM please Private Message me to let me know how much you received.

All donations receive a personal 'thank you', but I had several appointments today, and I'm trying to get caught up.

For clarification, we (I) appreciate donations in any amount. The person who can only afford $1 still receives a personal 'thank you' (it's not an automated reply).

Tom said:
That's why I don't quote it publicly. I believe the (private or semi-private) communication Jackie referred to explained it was an extreme case and that the total fee decreases as a percentage of the transaction amount.

All donations receive a personal 'thank you', but I had several appointments today, and I'm trying to get caught up.

For clarification, we (I) appreciate donations in any amount. The person who can only afford $1 still receives a personal 'thank you' (it's not an automated reply).

:))

Paul & Ann said:
Ok, I got you now Tom.  Jackiemac's example could lead one to believe that Paypal would take 1/3 of your donation if you paid by credit card regardless of the amount.  I would guess other people would believe the same.

Thanks

Paul
Apologies Paul, I was just trying to show that there were charges being applied. 

[quote author=jackiemac]See below which may be what RV Forum falls under[/quote]

Jackie, for clarification, we are not a non-profit (501 c) or other charitable organization.

Tom said:
Jackie, for clarification, we are a not non-profit (501 c) or other charitable organization.
OK, in future I will just wait for you to reply so I don't confuse folks, including myself!  :eek:

Back
Top Bottom