Grand Tour 45RL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZinLuvR

Trying to get as much information as I can about the Grand Tour's.  We have found a 2017 that we have put a deposit on.  Love the floorplan, has the options we need.  But, we have seen very little, almost none, reviews or feedback on this model.  Anyone out there have one?  We have toured the factory in Junction City, OR. and were impressed with the build quality.  It looks like they are doing things right.  They are also building the new Horizon's there as well, which are really something to see.  The DW really loves the 45RL, so I'm just hoping for the best with this model.  How has Winnebago been when it comes time to honor their warranty?  Thanks.

I've been in one and looked around, what a beauty. Make sure it has plenty* of OCC. Winnebago has a bunch of experience designing and building large coaches and high-end coaches like the old Ultimate Freedom so the Grand Tour build quality should be quite good (I like the fact it was built in the old Country Coach factory with most likely former CC employees.)

My only concern is the engine, I think it has the venerable Cummins ISL which we have in our Horizon. If you are going to pull much of a load, I think it would be under powered. If I was going to buy a high-end coach, my choice would be a Cummins ISX engine. This is the engine used in over the road truck tractors - a real million mile engine.

*plenty of OCC means >= 5,000 pounds

Yes, it has the ISL 8.9, 450 horse.  The OCC is a new on me, not sure what it means.  What do the letters stand for?  Toured the old CC factory in Junction City.  It is impressive how they are built.  I think the Grand Tour and the new Horizon are being built there.  The new Horizon is a beauty with the tag model taking the place of the old Tour 42QD.

This site has an extensive Glossary for terms like that (Glossary button on the menu bar). See http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php?action=Glossary#Occupant%20&%20Cargo%20Carrying%20Capacity

Heck, I had to look up "venerable" :)

I was kind of shocked about the ISL as well, but the side radiator is nice. 

Horsepower is horsepower, and the ISL delivers it at relatively low rpms, around 1600 for full hp & torque.  450 horses is adequate for up to around 45,000 lbs of vehicle, which happens to be the GVWR of the 45RL.  I'm not saying that a 600 hp ISX wouldn't be nice, but it's substantial extra bucks to buy and feed (fuel).

Thanks for that "OCC", I thought it had something to do with combined carry.  I figured 450 horse would be the minimum I was looking for, going to be towing an Explorer at a little under 5,000 lbs.  I didn't see that there were any engine options on the Grand Tours, but I guess for the right amount of $$$$, anything is possible.  Question is, do I have enough patience to stay in the granny lane on the steep inclines?  The DW loves the coach and this thing already cost more than I wanted to spend, so there's the answer.  Keep the combined carry weight as low as possible and enjoy the ride.  Looked at a Tiffin with the 600 horse, but it was way above the my price range, good thing the DW didn't like the cabinet pulls or the handle on the shower door. :)

I hear ya!  It's hard to call a $520K coach "low-priced" or an 8.9L, 450 hp engine "small", but use of the ISL & the XCL chassis is one of the ways Winnebago keeps the Grand Tour near the lower price end of the luxury coach class.  Competitors with larger engines and the SLM chassis run upwards of $700k!

Hey, your wife is happy and all your friends are going to be extremely jealous of that gorgeous coach! Try to remember that when the cars whiz by you on long grades.

I've got a GVWR of 44,000 lbs + a JKU Wrangler on the back with a detuned 400 hp ISL - Allison 3000.  Granny lanes are fine :)  No just kidding. 
I don't know any different because its the first DP we have had, but I've never felt it to be underpowered.

Yep, the wife is happy, nuff said.  The lowest price we found for a 600 ponies coach was running $400k for a slightly used Tiffen.  We were told a 500 horse coach was coming to a dealer near us, something one of the Tiffen boys was running around in, or so the story went, but it never showed.  When I see those long grades coming, I'll just have to do some deep breathing and yoga chants or something.  :)

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Learn to enjoy the journey as well as the destination.  RVing is supposed to be relaxing, not racing.

^X2^ There's a few times for us that the trip was a lot more enjoyable than the destination.

Back
Top Bottom