XP-SP2 windows will not maximize on start up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JerArdra

5/23/2007

ALL,

I have tried everything but to no avail.  Please...any ideas!

When I click on a shortcut to start the RV Forum or my email or whatever the initial screen is minimized (small size).  Then I must click the in the upper right corner of the screen on the maximize box to make it become a full screen.  I used to get a maximized screen.

How can I make my Windows XP-SP2 return to initializing programs with the maximized full screen as it did originally???

JerryF  :)  :)

When on Smaller screen use your cursor and stretch it out  the next time it should come that way.

Jerry, what browser, or is this happening on all programs?  Try closing the window with the shift key held down.  Or try Shayne's suggestion, resize the window, then close it.  It should remember the new size even if it doesn't remember being maximized.

JerArdra said:
How can I make my Windows XP-SP2 return to initializing programs with the maximized full screen as it did originally???

Jerry, most programs store the last window size and state in the INI file of that program. You might want to go to the program folder of that app and double click the INI file to see what's going on. It's not an executable so your default word processor should open it as a text file. You'll recognize the dimension line as it will have the "position" values separated by commas. Also, unless you have made a lot of Preferences/Options changes, most programs will re-create the INI file if it does not find one -- and insert the default settings. So I sometimes just rename the INI to a BOB file extension to force the program to re-create. Rename the original vs. deleting it so you can get it back if necessary.

However, the state of the window should be stored in the INI so if you maximize the opening screen of an app prior to closing -- it should store that for the next opening.

Not all programs use INI files to store window information.  Firefox, for instance, does not, but stores this info in the localstore.rdf file in the user profile.  Other programs may use the registry or other proprietary files for this info.  The shortcut to start a program can also override the program settings and specify if the window is to open maximized, minimized, or normal.  I would check the shortcut(s) first.

You mean I got something right about a computer    LOL That's a first.

MS Internet Explorer 7 will remember the window size and position when IE is closed while holding down the Shift Key.

I tried your ideas and the closest I got was Shanes idea BUT I had to resize the screen by dragging at each corner.  When I tried it by dragging on the sides it did not work.

I'll keep tying to see if I can get it to bring up the windows MAXIMIZED>

JerryF 

Jerry  Recheck everything again.  An old friend, a mechanical genius'  told me one thing about autos that holds true for almost everything I can think of.  "If you have 40 check points of a project and something is wrong, you go to point 1 then 2 then 3 and so taking each point in order and never skip a point or take it out of order.  If all fails return to point , then 2 and etc., should that fail return to point 1."  I thought it strange when he told me that many many years ago.  Dang if he wasn't right then as he would be now.  If you've checked everything, and it still does it, evidently Something is aloof, and needs to be corrected again.  Try slowing down when rechecking and go to point 1.  Worth a try.  Good Luck
    OOPS  something else if you have that program that someone elsewhere can take over your computer, perhaps Ned or some of the other knowledgeable people can assist you.  Wish I could but this dummy has trouble keeping his cap on.

Jerry,

Is this IE7 you are using?

Shayne is right about using the mouse to stretch the window to the size you want, but then you have to close IE holding down the Shift Key.

For some reason IE does not always remember to re open Full Screen, which is a format I often use.  

If Maximized is the size you need, then after stretching it, IE should remember the size using Shift/Close

Steve,

Thanks.  My IE7 now opens maximized because I used your idea.  I opened IE7, clicked on maximize (upper right corner), and then closed it by holding the CTRL key > File > Exit.

I only with my other short cuts would do the same.

JerryF 

Sorry   Gents  I should have mentioned that also but  not knowing these blamed things,  I do forget  I guess the same as they do LOL Thanks for putting the final touch on Steve

Jerry, sorry I misspoke when I said use the shift key, it's the control key as you discovered.  Of course, if you used Firefox, it always remembers its window size and locaton :)

No sweat Ned, one of the articles I found on the WEB said first try shift and if that doesn't work then try Ctrl.  Shane, it's not over yet; I would still like to have the other shortcuts, other than IE7, come up fully maximized so keep thinkin'. 

C'mon folks, as my elementry school teacher used to say,  keep those "thinkin' caps on."

By the way, thanks for all the help so far.

JerryF  :)  :)

Sorry Jerry  I've exhausted my P Brain besides  using up all my knowledge  I have to trade my ball cap in for a dunce cap so I can go eat at Applebees.  LOL

Jerry, try changing the Run parameter in the shortcut properties to Maximized.  However, not all programs will honor that setting and will resize their windows when they start up.  But it's worth a try and can't do any harm.

Ned,

This is another problem I have.  For example in a real program, like IE7, where you right click on the program itself to create a shortcut the shortcut proprieties have a choice of a normal, minimized, or maximized window at start up. 

But in shortcuts that I have created to access web sites, such as getting to the RV Forum, this choice of a normal, minimized, or maximized window is not available.  BTW, I create these shortcuts by right clicking on the desktop, choosing create a shortcut, and adding the URL and shortcut name.

Is there any way to create a shortcut to access web sites in which its proprieties include the choice of a normal, minimized, or maximized window at start up?

JerryF

URL shortcuts should use the default window open behavior of the browser.  There is no way that I know of to change the window open behavior from those shortcuts.

Back
Top Bottom