Grey water fluch question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedandSilver

I'm just curious - When I drain the grey tank there is the initial flush and then after a minute or two it slows down.
Then there is a second whoosh sound and it appears more water is running out like it did at the first pull of the handle.

I keep the grey and black tanks closed for about a week at a time, then after I dump the black tank I follow with
the grey tank and what happens is described above.  I don't believe that the tanks are full as I'm alone, and have never
seen any signs of a backup - which I would assume if it did backup the shower would be the lowest point and it would
show there, but never has.

Does this happen to anyone else?

As far as the flow of water, I'm thinking that the initial flow is the water just running out with no restraints. When it slows down it may be because the vent pipe is not letting enough air into the tank so the water slows down. The drain pipe is 3" and the vent may be no bigger than 1-1/2" possibly even 1-1/4". Then when the water level gets low enough, air will get into the tank through the top 1/3 of the drain pipe and allow it to drain fast again. That's all I can think of which may be causing this.

From your post it sounds like you do not have a see thru fitting on your drain system. They come in real handy when cleaning out both tanks. It does sound like there is a slight pause due to a vacuum affect on your plumbing. As a simple example our drinking water comes in 2 gallon plastic containers. When you first open the valve to fill the cup you get a decent amount of flow, but in a short while it slows to a trickle. Punching a small hole in the top of the container solves the problem... :))

Yep, I get the same pause. I do have a clear fitting and I can see it happening. Rene has nailed it.

Back
Top Bottom