Travel Trailer Longevity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
SargeW said:
Being an "Expert Witness" does not mean that you are the ultimate authority on the subject. A lot of it is based on your ability to convince the court of your credibility. 

....which involves wearing the appropriate courtroom costume - tweed jacket with patches on the elbows, and a bow tie.

As many others have stated, "life expectancy" is greatly varied according to one's definition of "well maintained".  A travel trailer that sits outside but is "annually maintained" can easily deteriorate quicker than one that is kept inside when not in use.  I planned for this long before I ever purchased mine.  UV is very harmful to plastic, fiberglass, rubber, fabric and the caulking seals.  A unit stored out of the weather and with the most basic maintenance (greasing of axle hubs, lubrication of moving parts, thorough periodic cleaning and winterizing or flushing) will last much longer than a unit constantly exposed to the elements.

One of the comments made me want to post this: 

To qualify as an expert in court all that is needed is to be able to express that you have more knowledge on a particular subject than the average person.  The defense attorney may challenge your knowledge base; however, if you are able to answer their questions, most of the time the judge will accept your testimony as expert.

And the cool thing is that once you are deemed an expert in open court, you will be considered an expert (on the specific subject) from then on.

Actually the threshold for being an expert witness is not that hard to meet.  I have testified many times in court as an expert witness on a wide range of LE topics.

True enough, but you were employed as a Law Enforcement officer for many years, so that is a prima facie case for having expertise in that particular field.  A newbie fresh out of police academy would be much more dubious.  Similarly, some people who own and use Rvs becomes quite expert in their care & feeding, but it's a harder sell to convince a court - and the opposing attorneys - that their opinions are in fact expert. 

Expert Witness status is about credibility. No attorney wants to bring in an "expert" who gets challenged by the opposing attorney. They want somebody whose credentials cannot be disputed.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Expert Witness status is about credibility. No attorney wants to bring in an "expert" who gets challenged by the opposing attorney. They want somebody whose credentials cannot be disputed.

Spot on...
As someone who has played this game for some time, in a court of law it's all about credentialing, degrees, certifications, and letters after your name.
There are some here in this forum I unquestionably take advice from due to their proven knowledge and experience, but they would most likely not qualify in court as an "expert witness."

Gary RV_Wizard said:
The suspension components sure care about how many miles the trailer is traveling. Since springs and shackles tend to take a beating while the trailer is in motion, how is one supposed to maintain them besides replacing components as they break or wear out?

You missed the point. Even with very little towing mileage, the trailer could very well be worn out from human wear & tear.
You are right, there are so many different levels of quality in materials and construction how it was used that it would be almost impossible to say how long a unit might last. There are a lot of units that have a statement tucked away in the literature that they are not for continues use. So now you need to define what proper use is.
Bill

Another thing to consider are the mods you make. My wife wanted a full length mirror on the bathroom door. One of the table benches replaced with a chair. Numerous hooks attached to this walls and other such item.

The next owner will probably remove them but we use them.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
True enough, but you were employed as a Law Enforcement officer for many years, so that is a prima facie case for having expertise in that particular field.  A newbie fresh out of police academy would be much more dubious.  Similarly, some people who own and use Rvs becomes quite expert in their care & feeding, but it's a harder sell to convince a court - and the opposing attorneys - that their opinions are in fact expert. 

And you are exactly correct Gary. In my past, spending 25 years in the "blue suit" went a long way towards credibility.
But your experience in a court would also go a long way.  Experience is the best reference you can have.

I've been talking with the lawyers for this case a little bit.  The complication here is that the trailers involved have been used as temporary housing rather than for recreational purposes. Anybody who has seen a 3-5 year old FEMA trailer (for example) would probably revise their opinion of longevity substantially downward. On the other hand, the company does provide ongoing maintenance and professional movers, so there is some care involved.

http://onsitetemphousing.com/

That is interesting. We will all testify that Gary is an expert Know it all or one who is an experts expert. ;) ;D
Who is claiming the trailers aren't lasting?
Bill

It's a bankruptcy lawsuit, but I don't know who is involved or what the specific claims are. I've discussed with one of the attorneys how they might establish  typical TT longevity and offered to do some consulting work (for a fee) to do that, but I recommended they get someone professionally employed in the  RV industry to be the actual "expert witness" and that he/she supplied with the necessary facts and figures.

Back
Top Bottom