EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Baby Solar Ordered  (Read 471 times)

kportra

• ---
Baby Solar Ordered
« on: January 24, 2018, 04:19:16 PM »
We were planning on adding a little solar before summer comes around anyway and the potential 30% tariff helped me pull the trigger.  We have a small travel trailer and are mainly weekend (looong weekend) boondockers.  We didn't want a permanent and expensive installation.  We HATE running the generator for hours at a time.  Hubby has a CPAP and trailer seems to have phantom load (maybe radio, fridge control panel, propane sniffer).  We have 2 group 24 batteries that are fairly new but still have to charge every day with the CPAP use.

So...after much research and review reading, we went for a 100W Renology monocrystalline suitcase setup.  Comes with a 4 stage charge controller.  We can move it to follow the sun and it will store away when we actually have services.  I'm pretty excited to see how well it does.  I'm not really expecting that we will get fully charged with just 100W (depending on shade/weather etc) but it sure should help us need the generator (inverter type) fewer hours and provide more peaceful camping.

I may post my experiences with it this summer.  Is it summer yet?  Or even spring?
2017 Heartland Prowler Lynx 18LX
2006 Dodge Ram 1500

Kevin Means

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Tactical Flying
Re: Baby Solar Ordered
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 06:33:22 PM »
That Renogy system is pretty popular. On a sunny January day, it should put 20 amps (or so) into your batteries - as long as you keep it facing toward the sun. Depending on your usage, that could be a big help.

Kev
2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Towing a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited LJ or an Acura MDX
RVI Brake 2, Minder TM-66 TPMS, 970 watts of solar
(Can't wait to spend more time RVing)
Lakeside, California

Gary31

• ---
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 10:53:20 AM »
I have the same thing and like it. I purchase my suitcase to use in the day when we are all about and not in the camper but still want to keep our ice maker going. I look forward to shutting down the genny and having fresh ice all day for my refreshments. I also use it on the weekends to charge the battery at the storage lot without running the genny, I still fire up the genny at least monthly to exercise and keep everything topped off and working.
2015 Carbon 31 Toy Hauler
2013 F250 Lariat HD  4x4 Turbo Diesel
Toys-
2017 RZR S 900
2005 Honda Rancher

Dragginourbedaround

• ---
  • I look out the window and see trees, I'm camping
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 05:04:39 PM »
We are another happy buyer. We bought it for two weeks of dry camping at the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta. It worked as advertised. We were able to cut our generator use to three hours a day or less. We will buy another 100 watts and give boondocking a serious try on this years eight month trip.
Gene

2013 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
2011 Honda Fit

kportra

• ---
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 12:22:35 PM »
We are another happy buyer. We bought it for two weeks of dry camping at the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta. It worked as advertised. We were able to cut our generator use to three hours a day or less. We will buy another 100 watts and give boondocking a serious try on this years eight month trip.

Can you hook two of these suitcase solar units together?  I think the controller on the one we got is 30 amps.  That would be AWESOME sauce.
2017 Heartland Prowler Lynx 18LX
2006 Dodge Ram 1500

John Hilley

• ---
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 03:51:44 PM »
You could just connect both to the batteries, each with it's own controller. You could also run two through the same controller if it is large enough.
2003 Winnebago Adventurer 38G
1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport
1999 Winnebago Brave 35C
  Handicap Lift & Hospital Bed

Frank B

• ---
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2018, 02:14:18 PM »
Can you hook two of these suitcase solar units together?  I think the controller on the one we got is 30 amps.  That would be AWESOME sauce.

Now you're getting the idea!  ;D

The only issue with portable setups is that they have to be set up and taken down each time you move.

Frank.
Linux:  Free, open, elegant.
06 GMC 3500 Duramax crew/long pulling 2010 Arctic Fox 30U with 1700 lb Reese Titan Class 5.
1.2 kw solar

Hosted by Over The Network