Borrego Springs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GeneS

KOFA.  Check.  Quartzsite, including RV Show, check. Joshua Tree NP, check.  Next stop, Borrego Springs area.  Retirement is good!

Just left Borrego Springs.  Visit Anza Borrego Desert State Park  during the week as a weekend visit will incur a day use fee just to  see the visitor center.  Get a map at the Chamber of Commerce to see where all the  metal sculptures reside.  Hike to Palm Canyon OR  hike The Slot ask  rangers for directions.

Buy some grapefruit from Lions Club booth at the circle.

Eat at Pablitos for  Mexican (very good shrimp cocktail) Beside  Market.

Eat at Kendalls for breakfast
Eat at  Kesling Kitchen on Christmas tree Circle next to  Borrego Art Insittute for  good wood fired Pizza  and good beers on tap.
eat at Krazy Coyote for upscale meal  ( get a reservation)

We boon dock out across from Peg Leg  Pete Monument cost  = 0.

Report your fun here!

Beautiful place. I'd recommend

The Badlands just outside town, stunning and unexpected.

Galleta Meadows Sculptures - there are around 130 of these dotted around the town, the sea serpent is my favourite.

Carlee's for food and cocktails. Great gazpacho and pretty busy in the evenings with a nice atmosphere.

Betty' s recommendations are now on my list for next visit.

Have fun.

Wow. Awesome recommendations. I'm still about 50 miles out having stopped in Brawley for fuel and rations. I came out of Joshua Tree National Park and went due south on Box Canyon Road. Incredible scenery! Continued down through down around Salton Lake and the I guess what's the Imperial Valley. First time in this area and I am way beyond impressed

If I knew I was eating out so much, I wouldn't have had to stop for groceries!. I hate to pull in late, so I wound up stopping in Ocotillo Wells SVRA. Just found me a nice little plot of sand and going to call it a night. I would say I would try the Harley Softail out here in the sand but I've embarrassed myself more than once already :p

GeneS said:
Wow. Awesome recommendations. I'm still about 50 miles out having stopped in Brawley for fuel and rations. I came out of Joshua Tree National Park and went due south on Box Canyon Road. Incredible scenery! Continued down through down around Salton Lake and the I guess what's the Imperial Valley. First time in this area and I am way beyond impressed
I have been to all the National Parks in the country and Joshua Tree is in my top ten. It is amazing and usually very empty. And the night sky there is amazing also. ;D

SeilerBird said:
I have been to all the National Parks in the country and Joshua Tree is in my top ten. It is amazing and usually very empty. And the night sky there is amazing also. ;D
Glad to hear that Joshua Tree is usually very empty. Should be plenty spots in the campgrounds.  We are heading there in a week from Borrego Springs.  It is very busy here.  State Park campground is full.

AStravelers said:
Glad to hear that Joshua Tree is usually very empty. Should be plenty spots in the campgrounds.  We are heading there in a week from Borrego Springs.  It is very busy here.  State Park campground is full.
I have not been there in a few years so let me know if anything has changed. I highly recommend Jumbo Rocks Campground. One of the most beautiful in the entire country. ;D

SeilerBird said:
I have not been there in a few years so let me know if anything has changed. I highly recommend Jumbo Rocks Campground. One of the most beautiful in the entire country. ;D

Based on  your reccomendation in an earlier post, i did stay 3 nights in Jumbo Rocks.  Maybe 50% occupancy midweek.  Perfect central point  from which to launch explorations both in the park and Beyond.

AStravelers said:

If you dont have a definite route in mind, roll in to Joshua Tree NP from the south.  Pick up Box Canyon Road from Mecca.  After 8 or 10 miles of farmland and orchards, the climb starts and winds thru an amazingly scenic box canyon.  At the end, simply cross I -10 and enter the park at Cottonwood Springs.

GeneS said:
If you dont have a definite route in mind, roll in to Joshua Tree NP from the south.  Pick up Box Canyon Road from Mecca.  After 8 or 10 miles of farmland and orchards, the climb starts and winds thru an amazingly scenic box canyon.  At the end, simply cross I -10 and enter the park at Cottonwood Springs.
Before entering the park from the south you might want to check out the Patton Museum on I-10. Very cool if you are interested in that sort of thing.

The General Patton Museum is on I-10 one exit east of Box Canyon and the southern entrance to Joshua Tree, about 4 1/2 miles.

There's free boondocking out back (two rows of sites in the desert) if you want to stay overnight before continuing into the
park.

Attachments

• Patton Museum boondocking.jpg
    Patton Museum boondocking.jpg
    304.6 KB · Views: 15
Lou Schneider said:
The General Patton Museum is on I-10 one exit east of Box Canyon and the southern entrance to Joshua Tree, about 4 1/2 miles.

There's free boondocking out back (two rows of sites in the desert) if you want to stay overnight before continuing into the
park.
So NOW you tell me...

On the road to Cottonwood from the 10 freeway going up to Joshua there are small BLM areas on both sides where you can stay for free also. I think they are marked but I haven't camped there...about 3 miles north of the 10. 8)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom