EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Landing Gear on a Fifth Wheel - not sure if this is an issue or not.  (Read 436 times)

Skippityboo

• ---
I bought a second hand 5th in October and ended up having to replace the right side landing leg. (Ie the one without the motor) due to it failing after I unhitched.

Since the failure of the landing gear Iíve been very nervous about using my landing gear, but I figured that was me just being neurotic and fearful. Forcing myself to trust the technology.

As I was leaving Quartzsite yesterday, hooked up, then lifting the gear, Iím hearing a clicking noise on the left hand side, and the motor stopped temporarily (re started after leaving it a moment still making the metallic clicking noise).

Now Iím guessing this is just the motor overheating and just needing a second to breath before re starting. Iím not sure if the clicking noise is normal or not.

But as Iím alrdy nervous since my failure back in November.... Iím being extremely cautious. (I donít know how Iíd even start to deal with my home falling over)

My question to the forum is this ....

Does anyone have a troubleshooting guide I can go over? Or know of a YouTube video or 3 I can watch to get better informed about landing gear in a 5th wheel. Something that will help me work out if Iím just being over cautious or if there is an actual fault.

I donít want to have to call out a repair guy when itís something I could look over myself.

Iím out in the desert and have limited internet (donít want to spend 2 hrs trying to find the video information not perternet to my situation).

My rig is a 2010 Keystone Laredo 266, itís approx 8500lbs empty, (Iím guessing 10 /11 full). Iíve not risked unhitching it from my truck, but the landing gear is currently down.

Anyone got any thoughts?
2006 Ford F-250 (Diesel)
2015 Rockwood Mini Lite
Yorkies x 2

Boonieman

• ---
Re: Landing Gear on a Fifth Wheel - not sure if this is an issue or not.
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 11:46:29 AM »
   I replaced the same landing gear leg last year and the first time i tried it, it made that clicking noise. on mine, it ended up being where the rod connects to the landing gear from the drive leg. i tightened the bolt too much, putting it in a bind. there is nothing inside that should be doing any clicking if the internals are good..... just a couple worm gears that drive a large screw. If it were me, I  would lift the landing gear legs since you are still hooked to the truck. Unhook that rod from the drive motor side and turned the rod by hand, it should be super easy to turn with the weight off. don't turn it too many times or you landing gear won't be extended the same distance.
2016 Chevrolet Dually/Duramax
2011 Fuzion 322
2016 Harley Trike
3 cherished dogs, Moo, Molly, Mia the one eyed pup 😊
Originally from South Dakota, currently reside in Kentucky

sc4668

• ---
  • 2007 Denali fifth wheel
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 12:03:41 PM »
I had the same issue on mine and ignored the clicking sound. Well the sound went away and the landing gear failed. Come to find out the bolt that connects the landing gear shaft to the motor coupler had fallen out. Wll the noise I had heard was the bolt backing out and was hitting the mount. I found the bolt and Loctite it and reinstalled. The landing gear works fine how. This bolt is short for clearance with no threads extending from the coupler just a flush fit, that is why I used loctite so it does not happen again.

Lou Schneider

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 12:07:17 AM »
Here's a short video.  You can jump ahead to 0:45 and miss the opening advertisments.   The screw on the shaft coupling Boonieman is talking about is visible after he removes the motor at 1:20 or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVO_GLfRgv0

If that's not the problem, the reduction gearbox may be skipping, that requires replacement of the gearbox.

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is a payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2018, 07:43:47 AM »
Here's another video which gives a really good breakdown on how everything works and how to reolace a leg assemble. If you're not having issues right now, it may be a good idea to look at your landing gear legs and figure out who manufactured them and the size, just to be prepared in case one needs repairing.  The second link is another video which shows how to grease the lead screw.  It's rather long because it also talks about the various components. I like the idea on how to lubricate the lead screw and I'll be doing that when I get home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL12JJ5Fmis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emcOISsW2PA
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 07:47:43 AM by Rene T »
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

donn

• ---
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2018, 09:43:24 AM »
Landing gear is nothing more than a simple basic screw jack.  The motor has a gear box attached to it that if its plastic has a tendency to fail.  Look for a mfg lable.  If its a Venture Mfg setup. It is extremely easy to rwvuild.  And Venture will have all you need..  if your fiver is heavy, consider swapping everything for a dual motor setup.  Did mine years ago and added heavy duty reversing relays and up limit switches.  No more problems. 
BTW, if you run the legs up until you hear the clutch clicking there is your problem.  Doing that will tear the clutch up really fast, and or break the tabs off causing your gear box to spin.

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is a payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2018, 11:24:58 AM »
BTW, if you run the legs up until you hear the clutch clicking there is your problem.  Doing that will tear the clutch up really fast, and or break the tabs off causing your gear box to spin.

I put a black magic marker line on the leg where I am standing. When I get to that line, I stop.
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

rbrdriver

• ---
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2018, 07:55:41 PM »
Here is a you tube link to a guy that I have learned a lot from over the past couple of years. He shows how to remove, lube, and reinstall landing gear legs on a fifth wheel. I basically copied him and did the same thing to my rig, and therefore am confident I can replace landing gear legs, the motor, whatever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9naxSjaA9w

grashley

• ---
  • Western KY for now.
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2018, 07:59:37 PM »
Rene,

The videos are awesome!   Learned something and my to do list just got longer!
Preacher Gordon, DW Debbie
09 Grand Junction 35 TMS 
Andersen Ultimate hitch
2013 F350 Lariat LB SRW Supercab diesel 4X4
Nimrod Series 70 popup (sold)
It's not a dumb question if you do not know the answer.

Hosted by Over The Network