Landing Gear on a Fifth Wheel - not sure if this is an issue or not.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skippityboo

I bought a second hand 5th in October and ended up having to replace the right side landing leg. (Ie the one without the motor) due to it failing after I unhitched.

Since the failure of the landing gear I?ve been very nervous about using my landing gear, but I figured that was me just being neurotic and fearful. Forcing myself to trust the technology.

As I was leaving Quartzsite yesterday, hooked up, then lifting the gear, I?m hearing a clicking noise on the left hand side, and the motor stopped temporarily (re started after leaving it a moment still making the metallic clicking noise).

Now I?m guessing this is just the motor overheating and just needing a second to breath before re starting. I?m not sure if the clicking noise is normal or not.

But as I?m alrdy nervous since my failure back in November.... I?m being extremely cautious. (I don?t know how I?d even start to deal with my home falling over)

My question to the forum is this ....

Does anyone have a troubleshooting guide I can go over? Or know of a YouTube video or 3 I can watch to get better informed about landing gear in a 5th wheel. Something that will help me work out if I?m just being over cautious or if there is an actual fault.

I don?t want to have to call out a repair guy when it?s something I could look over myself.

I?m out in the desert and have limited internet (don?t want to spend 2 hrs trying to find the video information not perternet to my situation).

My rig is a 2010 Keystone Laredo 266, it?s approx 8500lbs empty, (I?m guessing 10 /11 full). I?ve not risked unhitching it from my truck, but the landing gear is currently down.

Anyone got any thoughts?

I replaced the same landing gear leg last year and the first time i tried it, it made that clicking noise. on mine, it ended up being where the rod connects to the landing gear from the drive leg. i tightened the bolt too much, putting it in a bind. there is nothing inside that should be doing any clicking if the internals are good..... just a couple worm gears that drive a large screw. If it were me, I  would lift the landing gear legs since you are still hooked to the truck. Unhook that rod from the drive motor side and turned the rod by hand, it should be super easy to turn with the weight off. don't turn it too many times or you landing gear won't be extended the same distance.

I had the same issue on mine and ignored the clicking sound. Well the sound went away and the landing gear failed. Come to find out the bolt that connects the landing gear shaft to the motor coupler had fallen out. Wll the noise I had heard was the bolt backing out and was hitting the mount. I found the bolt and Loctite it and reinstalled. The landing gear works fine how. This bolt is short for clearance with no threads extending from the coupler just a flush fit, that is why I used loctite so it does not happen again.

Here's a short video.  You can jump ahead to 0:45 and miss the opening advertisments.  The screw on the shaft coupling Boonieman is talking about is visible after he removes the motor at 1:20 or so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVO_GLfRgv0

If that's not the problem, the reduction gearbox may be skipping, that requires replacement of the gearbox.

Here's another video which gives a really good breakdown on how everything works and how to reolace a leg assemble. If you're not having issues right now, it may be a good idea to look at your landing gear legs and figure out who manufactured them and the size, just to be prepared in case one needs repairing.  The second link is another video which shows how to grease the lead screw.  It's rather long because it also talks about the various components. I like the idea on how to lubricate the lead screw and I'll be doing that when I get home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL12JJ5Fmis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emcOISsW2PA

Landing gear is nothing more than a simple basic screw jack.  The motor has a gear box attached to it that if its plastic has a tendency to fail.  Look for a mfg lable.  If its a Venture Mfg setup. It is extremely easy to rwvuild.  And Venture will have all you need..  if your fiver is heavy, consider swapping everything for a dual motor setup.  Did mine years ago and added heavy duty reversing relays and up limit switches.  No more problems. 
BTW, if you run the legs up until you hear the clutch clicking there is your problem.  Doing that will tear the clutch up really fast, and or break the tabs off causing your gear box to spin.

donn said:
BTW, if you run the legs up until you hear the clutch clicking there is your problem.  Doing that will tear the clutch up really fast, and or break the tabs off causing your gear box to spin.

I put a black magic marker line on the leg where I am standing. When I get to that line, I stop.

Here is a you tube link to a guy that I have learned a lot from over the past couple of years. He shows how to remove, lube, and reinstall landing gear legs on a fifth wheel. I basically copied him and did the same thing to my rig, and therefore am confident I can replace landing gear legs, the motor, whatever.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9naxSjaA9w

Back
Top Bottom