Determine My Limit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

butchiiii

Hi Folks,
Let me see if I have this towing thing figured out right. We are looking at a Montana
5th wheel which lists it's dry weight at 13257 plus the cargo capacity of 2980. Together
that comes to about 16250 total. So if I'm correct my pin weight will be 3250. Also looking
at a TV which lists the CCC on the door pillar at 4380. Question is this enough truck for
the 5th wheel? Please let me know if I have made any erroneous calculations here.
Thanks for the help everyone.

I would say so as long as you don't load your truck with more than a thousand pounds. Once you subtract the pin weight from your CCC you have 1,223lbs to play with. Use about 90% of that tomgive you a bit of cushion and you have 1,101lbs for all your stuff in the truck. When we had a 5th wheel we didn't carry much in the truck. Just the wife and me and a cat and a few tools. Not near a thousand pounds. How comfortable do you feel with the setup?

Using your numbers, your available payload is right at 1132 lbs.  Don't forget to deduct the 5ver hitch weight from that number also, which should be somewhere around 175 to 200 lbs or so.  Let's say 200 for the hitch, so that takes you down to 932 lbs of available payload after hooking the trailer up.....provided you have 20% pin weight....which may or may not be exactly accurate, but it will be close.  Another factor to consider is that payload sticker on the door post was the actual payload when the truck was built.  If this is a pre-owned truck, there may have been some "stuff" added to it after it was built....tool box, bedliner, etc.....which also will deduct from the stated payload number.  If it's a new truck that hasn't had anything extra added to it from the time it was built, it should be pretty accurate.  Another thing is that some of the later model truck, Ford is one of them, does NOT include the arbitrary 150 lb driver weight, when they state the payload, so if that's the case with this truck, you also have to deduct driver weight also. 

X-rated is exactly correct.

Note the pin will not weigh exactly 3250#, but that is a very good estimate to use.

Payload NEVER includes any passengers.  However, Max Trailer Wt DOES include two 150# passengers since 2015, and slide in camper Max Wt includes a 150# passenger in every seating position.  Confusing?  YES

Thanks guys for the info. Another question does the CCC include a full tank of gas or is that
something that we have to deduct from the total? The hitch and passengers I understand that's
pretty clear.

butchiiii said:
Thanks guys for the info. Another question does the CCC include a full tank of gas or is that
something that we have to deduct from the total? The hitch and passengers I understand that's
pretty clear.

ccc is passengers and cargo all fluids are included aswell as a full tank of fuel

As Steve said, CCC is everything YOU add, but it already includes all fluids for the truck, including a full fuel tank, full window washer fluid (3 or 4 lb  ;D ) oil, etc.

Thanks Mr Blonde and Preacher. That helps me understand a bit better. I've been researching TV and
was trying to get a feel for what I was looking for. I may pick up this 1 ton 2014 Ram diesel. Dealer
offered it to me for $27k and it only has 69K miles. What do you guys think? Is this a good deal or not.
Thanks for the feedback.

butchiiii said:
Thanks Mr Blonde and Preacher. That helps me understand a bit better. I've been researching TV and
was trying to get a feel for what I was looking for. I may pick up this 1 ton 2014 Ram diesel. Dealer
offered it to me for $27k and it only has 69K miles. What do you guys think? Is this a good deal or not.
Thanks for the feedback.

That will depend on what part of the country you are in and the trim level of the truck - wash, idaho, montana will give you great procing and selection check out autotrader.com to compare

Back
Top Bottom