New Rv damaged at dealer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Atgibson88

Hopefully I can explain this the right way. I'm looking into buying a newer rv because I do travel for work. Been looking for awhile trying to find the right one, mostly been looking at toy haulers. The only day I found one that I really like. When I get to the dealer its brand new never sold or used, but there was a problem with the bedroom slide that they said they fixed there at there service department. I guess my main question is they said it is technically used now so there would be no warranty. Is that right or are they trying to slip one by? If anyone knows any thing I would appreciate your knowledge about it.

If no one has owned that unit before, it is new. I feel the warranty issue is the dealer hiding behind poor construction or poor repair. I would keep looking for another unit.

Or you could ask for a huge discount since the warranty is normally not worth the paper it's written on anyway. Besides that, doesn't the manufacture give the warranty not the dealership?

I would think the lack of warranty is a clue that something is really wrong with the unit. A big discount doesn?t help if you can?t use your rig because it is broken.

I guess my main question is they said it is technically used now so there would be no warranty. Is that right or are they trying to slip one by?

They are blowing smoke at you, and that's not a good sign. The price would have to be very, very attractive to get me to bite on that.

A vehicle only becomes "used" if it has had the title issued to some person or company.  However, the manufacturer could declare it to be "as is" (no warranty). For example, if the rig was damaged enough, the manufacturer might sell it "as is" to the dealer rather than pay to ship it back to the factory for repair.  Then the dealer might fix it up, perhaps in a "quick & dirty" manner, and then sell it as "used".

I might be willing to buy that trailer after a careful inspection, but I have 20+ years experience with RVs and a lot of tech skills to draw on. For a newcomer to RVs, the risk of not spotting a potential problem area gets much higher.

You didn't mention the price, which can be a great leveler when the situation if "iffy".  RVs are typically heavily discounted from MSRP, with 15% discount being almost a given and 20-30% not unusual. Some dealers offer discounts, but them cheat by charging for things that should be included as a normal part of the sale.  For a "new" rig with no warranty and an unknown repair history, I would be expecting to pay maybe 60% of MSRP, with no other fees except tax, tag & title.  If the deal isn't in that ballpark, I would walk.  I might walk anyway after looking at the repairs and asking a lot of questions, but the price has to be worth the risk before digging deeper.

I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole and don't believe what ninety percent of RV dealers and their salesman tell you

jack L

Have you ever owned an RV?

If not, then we almost always recommend buying used for the first one.
And in this case if it wasn't titled it wasn't used in most peoples eyes.

So in this case I would RUN away and look elsewhere.

What did you plan on putting in the toy hauler?

A lot depends on what may be wrong.  I bought a brand new toy hauler from a dealer as-is in 2006 with very minor hurricane damage.  It was a $27k unit I got for $9k.  It needed nothing as there were only a few dents from flying debris in the aluminum skin.  No warranty and it served me well until I sold it 3 years ago.

I wouild insist on a warranty. There was already ONE problem, who knows how many more.

Now if the problem showed up before an "Owner" took possession it is still classed as "NEW". only if the title was transferred to an "Owner" is it used.

Wow!  I'm a bit amazed at the number of people who would not even consider buying this late model but "as is" RV, yet still recommend buying "used".  If somebody had owned the trailer for 3 months, damaged it and then traded it in, would the problems be fewer or less serious?

But it could indeed be a risky choice for an inexperienced buyer.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Wow!  I'm a bit amazed at the number of people who would not even consider buying this late model but "as is" RV, yet still recommend buying "used".  If somebody had owned the trailer for 3 months, damaged it and then traded it in, would the problems be fewer or less serious?

But it could indeed be a risky choice for an inexperienced buyer.

I was thinking the same thing Gary. If the discount was substantial enough, somebody with some skills might do well with this unit.

RedandSilver said:
Have you ever owned an RV?

If not, then we almost always recommend buying used for the first one.
And in this case if it wasn't titled it wasn't used in most peoples eyes.

So in this case I would RUN away and look elsewhere.

What did you plan on putting in the toy hauler?

Who is "we"
I am on our third "new" trailer. Each one is bigger than the last one and I and a lot of my friends would never buy a used one.
Too many people buy used where the seller is getting rid of it because it has some major fault.

Just read many of the posts here and you'll see what I mean

Jack L

If I could buy a brand new RV for 1/2 price or less ....I'd sure look into it.

As for the no warranty that suites me fine.  I trust my work more than some entry level employee banging on my RV.

As for it being a used vehicle...  No.  If it has never been registered to someone, it's still a new vehicle,  It could be sold as a new 'Salvage' vehicle with no warranty...but not a used vehicle.

JackL said:
Who is "we"
I am on our third "new" trailer. Each one is bigger than the last one and I and a lot of my friends would never buy a used one.
Too many people buy used where the seller is getting rid of it because it has some major fault.

Just read many of the posts here and you'll see what I mean

Jack L

When you sold your trailers did they have "Major" faults?  If not,  then there are used trailers out there.
When buying anything used it's Buyer Beware. 

Many of us recommend a used RV especially for a first timer.  Sorry I used "we" and it included you - I should have said "Many of us".

Since we know almost nothing about the OP I assumed (I know that's dangerous) that it was going to be his first RV and I have
no idea of his skill set to fix an RV slide that might give him problems if a shotty fix was applied.  To be on the safe side I said RUN away.
There also was no mention of money.  If it was a $18K trailer and he could get it for $10K well that might make a big difference
in running away or not.  But we don't know that and I believe that MOST dealers are out to make a big profit so I doubt a super deal
would come from what little info we have - but that's just my opinion.

If the OP never comes back we will never know.

A lot of talk about super good deals on slightly used RVs because of some major fault.  May I offer another common reason for such a sale - I have seen it on 3 of the 4 motorhomes I looked at before purchasing the one I have.  That reason is MEDICAL.  Many time, owners of recent vintage RVs are older people who plan to use them extensively for travel in their later years.  Such was my case and I found an 84 year old gent whose doctor had strongly recommended against any further travel and his wife put the kabosh on it herself.    The coach was older but nice and well maintained and they had bought it new.  They had receipts to show that they maintained it well.  The deal was pretty decent considering what else we saw for prices.  So don't hesitate to take a close look at coaches being disposed of for medical reasons or even death.  Now it is beginning to appear that I will be the one claiming medical reasons for selling if things continue as they are now.

Bill

Bill N said:
A lot of talk about super good deals on slightly used RVs because of some major fault.  May I offer another common reason for such a sale - I have seen it on 3 of the 4 motorhomes I looked at before purchasing the one I have.  That reason is MEDICAL.  Many time, owners of recent vintage RVs are older people who plan to use them extensively for travel in their later years.  Such was my case and I found an 84 year old gent whose doctor had strongly recommended against any further travel and his wife put the kabosh on it herself.    The coach was older but nice and well maintained and they had bought it new.  They had receipts to show that they maintained it well.  The deal was pretty decent considering what else we saw for prices.  So don't hesitate to take a close look at coaches being disposed of for medical reasons or even death.  Now it is beginning to appear that I will be the one claiming medical reasons for selling if things continue as they are now.

Bill

Macabre as it is, being a fellow AF alumni (only 17% of those that join last till retirement) I will herald your life and sacrifices into the wild blue yonder. Putting anything between us previously, I am sorry you are in ill health.

Oldgator73 said:
Macabre as it is, being a fellow AF alumni (only 17% of those that join last till retirement) I will herald your life and sacrifices into the wild blue yonder. Putting anything between us previously, I am sorry you are in ill health.

Thanks and peace to us both.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom