Tires for a 44 ft fifth wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fhoghvn

I need to replace my tires on a 44 foot fifth wheel Dutchmen Voltage toy hauler, triple axle and need recommendations.  My current tire size is:  ST235/80R16E.

Thanks,

Fred

Although we're only 36', we've run Michelin XPS Rib with no problems. We are on our second set.

When we bought our fiver (used) it had 235/8016-E?s on it. I don?t recall what brand they were because I didn?t even recognize the brand. The first thing I noticed when we got it home was one of the tires had a big swelled ?goose egg? on the inside of one of the tires, even though the tread looked great. We went with the Goodyear G614 RST tires. I put on the 235/85 size, load range G, which was slightly taller than the originals but they had plenty of clearance. There are quite a few tire makers now that make some great tires, even from overseas, so actual brands is something you should research pretty closely instead of just internet opinions.
  Although some E rated tires were right in the capacity range, quite a bit of our driving is out in the Dakota?s in the summer and it gets plenty hot. It is amazing on those trips to see how many RV?s on the side of the interstate changing tires. Maybe not so amazing considering how many people pass me like a bat outta hell while towing and we usually run between 65-70 MPH depending on conditions.
  They are kind of expensive, but I am the kind of person that probably goes overboard when it goes to safety margins. So, depending on how you drive, the driving conditions you expect to be in, and how you load up your RV, and your personal risk comfort level should maybe go into your considerations for your tires selections. Also, if you consider upsizing tire load ratings make sure your rims can handle the extra pressure. The E rating tires I had were 80 psi, the G rated tires I have now are 110 psi. Luckily I didn?t have to swap out my rims.
  Happy travels to you.

Trailer length is not a factor, except that a longer trailer implies a greater weight. Tires need to be selected  to meet the axle load requirements (GAWR) and driving speed.

Most ST tires are limited to 65 mph, but there are a few that are rated for higher speeds. If 65 mph max is ok with you, stick with ST tires because they carry more load for a given size. If you like to drive at 65 or higher, you will want either a higher speed ST or an LT type tire. However, an LT tire in that same size may not have the necessary load rating, so you might have to step up to a Load Range F or G.

If those ST235/80R16E tires were original equipment, chances are they are barely adequate for the axle load (weight) they need to carry. RV makers are notorious for skimping on tires to save a few bucks.  A typical ST235/80R16E is rated to carry up to 3520 lbs @ 80 psi. If your trailer has 7000 lb axles, I would be looking for a tire with a greater load capacity, which probably means a slightly bigger tire (if it fits). If they are 6000 lb axles, then what you have should be fine and you can shop for brand and price.

Taskmaster (Provider) makes a decent ST235/80R16E and so does Maxxis. Goodyear has a newer Endurance model which is supposed to be better than their older Marathon line of trailer tires.

Thanks everyone for your opinions and suggestions.  I will definitely consider all comments.

Fred

I was very much interested in the Goodyear Endurance tires that Gary mentioned. I started looking at them online and one thing that caught my eye was that they are made in the USA.
I've been using Goodyear Marathons for a few years and have been pretty much satisfied with them. When I started looking a little closer at the Endurance tires, I found that they are rated for 2830 lbs. The Marathons are rated for 3420.
So be careful about that. In my case, I had the trailer weighed at a CAT Scale. The rear weighed in at 10,520.  4 Endurance tires are rated to carry 10,320. So they would not work for me. The 4 Marathons are rated to carry 13,680.

I found a discrepancy as far as the load capacity of the Endurance. I have to do a little more research. 

Update: I did more research. I chatted with a representative from Goodyear and he said the tires are a replacement for the Marathons and are rated for 3420 lbs just like the Marathons.
I have to buy 2 new tires so I am definitely going with the Endurance mainly because they are made here in the great US of A.  :)) :D ;)

Just a reminder, tire industry standards are very consistent about replacement tires having, at the very minimum, the ability to equal the load capacity of the original sized tires that came on the trailer and depicted on it?s certification label/tire placard.

Almost any tire with more load capacity than the ones that came on your trailer is going to require different wheels. The new USA made ST255/85R16E tires provide 4080# of load capacity at 80 PSI but they have a minimum rim width of 6.5?. Other ST235/80R16 tires with higher load capacities will physically fit your current rims but the higher PSI required to take advantage of the increased load capacity my not be supported by your current wheels.

Triple axle trailers notoriously have very close wheel/tire spacing. Most axle manufacturers will not recommend anything closer than 1? apart. That may rule out the wider 85 series 16? tires.   

As Gary and Boonie said, make sure the tires EXCEED the axle capacity.  If the camper has 7,000 lb axles or 3500lb per tire, do not replace with 3500lb capacity tires.  Step up to at least 3800 lb or more.  Give yourself a bit more safety margin.

My camper came from the factory with the same ST 235/80R16E yours has. The previous owner replaced them with Load Range F, which have a 3960# load limit.  They can handle 95psi.

Yes, my camper has 7,000 lb axels so I will definitely look at replacing them will at least 3800 lb or more.  My rims are JANTE16X6J so I will research to see what they are rated for.

Fred

I found out by looking inside the rim that my load capacity for each is 3960 lbs.  So I'm going to go with F or G tire.

Fred

I'm a big fan of LT tires. ST tires are ridiculously notorious for being unreliable.

I've ran LT tires on triple axle, dual axle, and tandem dual trailers for 15 years and have yet to suffer a blowout. Some of these trailers are loaded down to 30,000 lbs every day of the week.

LT tires are tested much more rigorously than ST tires which is why their capacities tend to be a little lower than ST tires. 

Thanks for answering back Fred, it helps other people with the same questions.

Boonieman, aka Danny

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom