EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: newbie - fridge access with slides in  (Read 780 times)

Tea Sipper

newbie - fridge access with slides in
« on: January 28, 2018, 05:33:37 PM »
Hello everyone ,
I am new here to the forum.  My husband and myself are excited to welcome a new season in our lives.....  Empty Nesters  :D 
 We are trying to figure out what floor-plan works best for us. 
 How important is it to be able to access the fridge when the slides are in?  This eliminates a lot of nice trailers if this is super important.
 I have more questions, but don't want to overload yall too soon. 
Thanks

jackiemac

• Forum Staff
  • ---
Re: newbie - fridge access with slides in
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2018, 05:51:07 PM »
Hi and welcome to the forum. 

We need to put one slide out out if we need in for a few bits and bobs, but it's not an issue. It's usually if we are parked up somewhere and want to make a quick sandwich or get something out.  It only takes a few seconds to move it and as long as there is space to do so, it is fine.

Ours is quite near the door though and only needs one slide out moved.
Jackie n Steve - Happy Scottish Travellers

2017 Heartland Sundance 288rls
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4L Hemi

Home in Scotland eagerly awaiting next trip!

Rene T

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Every day is a payday and every payday I have off
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 06:15:34 PM »
Three things we looked for when we were looking was:
1) We wanted to be able to start the furnace and heat the RV with all the slides closed. None of our floor registers are covered by the slides.
2) We wanted to be able to open up the fridge and get to the sink without opening up the slide. Also all the switches for lights and water pump are accessible.
3) Be able to get into bed without having to open the slides. My DW just rolls in but I have to climb over her to get to  my side. No big deal.
Rene, Lucille & co-pilot Buddy
AKA  Pep N Mem
2011 Chevy Duramax 2500 HD 4X4
2011 Montana High Country 343RL
From the Granite State of NH
& Florida Snowbird in Lakeland FL

rvpuller

• ---
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 06:31:51 PM »
No access to the refrigerator or bathroom is a none starter.

Denny
35 FKTG HH Premier  215/75/17.5 tires. 13" Kodiak Disks
2013 F350 DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 gears
Home Base SC Nebraska

edjunior

• ---
  • Roman Forest, TX
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 07:14:16 PM »
For us, it wasn't even something we looked at.  But as it turned out, we have needed access to it while on the road.  In our current 5th wheel, we can get to the fridge even though the slides block it.  It allows us to just open it, and if we put what we want within reach (stuff to make sandwiches usually), it is no problem.  And a gallon of milk barely squeezes between the door due to the slide.  It works for us.  I don't think it would have been a deal breaker though.
Ed.....KF5INW
2011 F-250 XLT, 6.7L PSD
2010 Forest River Wildcat 28RKBS
"I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!"

donn

• ---
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 07:23:55 PM »
In 12 years with a fiver with no refer access with the slides close, I just do not see see an issue.  Our fiver has slide out selector valves, so if we stop and absolutely have to get to the refer it takes me all of 10 seconds to close the other two valves, go inside and open the LR slide enough to walk in and open the refer.  Just not the big deal many try to make it out to be.

sc4668

• ---
  • 2007 Denali fifth wheel
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2018, 07:35:54 PM »
Our fiver has access to the refrigerator, bathroom, kitchen sink, dinning table and bed with both slides in. That was a requirement when we purchased. We love our floor plan. :) :))

RVRAC

• ---
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2018, 08:08:17 PM »
If you want access and need the slides open, please read the manual as some manufacturers required that the unit is level before opening the slides.  So, in some cases is not as easy as opening the slides alone.  As some suggested you need to find one with access with slides in or get used not to have access to the refrigerator.  Many have access to the bathroom but not to the kitchen appliances.
2017 Leprechaun 311 FS
Toad: 2016 Jeep Patriot
American Dolly
Home: WI
Snowbird 6 months/yr.

WILDEBILL308

• ---
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2018, 08:27:47 PM »
That is one of the reasons I have the coach I have. I can use it with the slides in. There are only a couple of drawers in the bead room that are blocked. Never buy or seriously consider anything if you don't run the slides in and see if you can use it.
Bill
2003 Bounder 38N
300 HP 5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH Trans.
Towing 2014 Honda CRV
Home base Fort Worth, Texas
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain-

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2018, 06:16:33 AM »
If you plan on making meals on the road, it can be very important, but if you just want to make sandwiches, get a snack, or a bottle of water, that can be solved by using a small to medium sized cooler while traveling. The important thing is having the floorplan work for you, not what works for us. If a floorplan that works for you when set up on a site is "perfect" for you, but has shortcomings when the slides are in, sometimes a workaround can be done to make it suitable for you. It really depends on your situation, and what you are comfortable with.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

lynnmor

• ---
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2018, 06:46:08 AM »

How important is it to be able to access the fridge when the slides are in?  This eliminates a lot of nice trailers if this is super important.

They are not nice trailers if access is difficult.  We stop for bathroom, lunch breaks and overnight often so we want full access without moving a slide.

Patnsuzanne

• ---
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2018, 08:12:40 AM »
We can get to the fridge with the slide in, but canít open the bathroom door wide enough to fit. Itís generally not a big problem to run the slide out a foot or so to access the bathroom. Since you can get away with a cooler for keeping lunch or snacks fresh, access to the bathroom with the slide(s) in may be a higher priority.
Venture Sporttrek 27RL
2016 Toyota Tundra extended cab
5.7 V8
Equalizer WD hitch
Tekonsha P3
Eez TPMS

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2018, 08:51:58 AM »
Since you are talking about a trailer, you are going to be stopped anyway if you want to access fridge [or bath], so opening a slide is only a minor nuisance. I would call that a minor "negative" but not an important "showstopper".  Moving a slide out temporarily is hardly a big deal - just the push of a button.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Joezeppy

• ---
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2018, 09:42:43 AM »
Our last TT had the bathroom door blocked when the slide was in. We'll never do that again (although we loved the camper otherwise) but I would not let the fridge being blocked stop me from buying an otherwise perfect rig.

As far as being level before using a slideout, I'm very strict about that when setting up. On the road, however, I don't see a problem deploying the slide since it will simply pivot on the hitch a bit as the weight transfers outward. No frame twisting involved.
Joe & Kim
Upstate NY - Kuyahoora Valley
2010 GMC Sierra 2500HD - 6.0L
2017 Keystone Hideout 295BHS
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th wheel hitch

CharlesinGA

• ---
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2018, 08:23:56 PM »
Three things we looked for when we were looking was:
1) We wanted to be able to start the furnace and heat the RV with all the slides closed. None of our floor registers are covered by the slides.
2) We wanted to be able to open up the fridge and get to the sink without opening up the slide. Also all the switches for lights and water pump are accessible.
3) Be able to get into bed without having to open the slides. My DW just rolls in but I have to climb over her to get to  my side. No big deal.

What Rene doesn't explain is why these are important items. When traveling, sometimes it is necessary to do the Walmart/Cracker Barrel/Whatever parking lot camping, and good parking lot etiquette dictates that slides usually should stay retracted. Another consideration is that sometimes, slide motors or electrical controls to slides do fail, hopefully in the retracted position, and you do not want your vacation to be ruined because you could not get to the fridge or in some cases even use the bed (think mattress folded in half with slide retracted).

Charles
2007 Winnebago View 523H, 2006 Dodge (Daimler-Chrysler aka Mercedes) Sprinter 3500 chassis. Bought Sept 2015 with 18K miles, Prog Ind HW30C, Prog Dynamics PD4645, Chill Grille, Fanstatic Fan Ultrabreeze, PML/Yourcovers.com deep alum trans pan, Roadmaster sway bar

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Salt Lake City area
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2018, 08:32:25 PM »
Another thing to think about is packing the refrigerator before a trip. Many donít have the luxury of off-street parking, and my street is too narrow to safely open the slide all the way. When we absolutely have to we put traffic cones out and have someone watching, but it is a massive inconvenience. For me, refrigerator and bath access with slides In was non-negotiable. YMMV.
Pam and Kevin plus Lily the cat
2014 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 240RKS
2015 Ram 2500 Diesel
http://toobusyforwork.com

docj

• ---
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2018, 08:42:58 PM »
What Rene doesn't explain is why these are important items. When traveling, sometimes it is necessary to do the Walmart/Cracker Barrel/Whatever parking lot camping, and good parking lot etiquette dictates that slides usually should stay retracted.

Even if you never use Walmart or any other parking lots for overnight stays, we find it very nice to be able to pull into a highway rest area and access everything in our MH without touching the slides.  Every cabinet in our rather large kitchen is fully accessible with the slide retracted as is everything else in our coach.  We wouldn't want it any other way.

And don't forget those (rare) times when you are subject to snow or an ice storm and it is much better to be able to keep the slides in.
Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/braking system
WiFiRanger Ambassador/RVParkReviews administrator
Follow our adventures on Facebook at www.facebook.com/weisstravels.net

BruceinFL

• ---
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2018, 08:53:05 PM »
Since you are talking about a trailer, you are going to be stopped anyway if you want to access fridge [or bath], so opening a slide is only a minor nuisance. I would call that a minor "negative" but not an important "showstopper".  Moving a slide out temporarily is hardly a big deal - just the push of a button.

Except that some manufacturers require the unit be level and stabilizing jacks be deployed before opening the slide.
Bruce A.
2004 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK 5W
2005 Ford F-350 SRW 6.0L

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2018, 09:06:23 AM »
Except that some manufacturers require the unit be level and stabilizing jacks be deployed before opening the slide.

Yeah, but they recommend a lot of things that are often just CYA or parroting of traditional wisdom. For years two different departments at my coach builder's factory issued  written slide deployment instructions that were the exact opposites of each other. Both swore their instructions were the correct one and that dire things could happen if I did not comply. They were both wrong...!  ???
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Spring Creek

• ---
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2018, 07:11:53 PM »
As new RV'ers a couple years ago, we wouldn't have known the difference (especially since our first RV didn't have slides). It was when we purchased our second RV we realized what a pain it was to maneuver with the slides in.  You could still get to the fridge and bathroom but you had to cartwheel up on the couch to avoid running your hip into the kitchen counter top.  I'm pretty limber but cartwheels are not in my repertoire  :P

In our current RV we can access anything and don't even need to put the slide out for an overnight or two; the slide just gives us extra space.  As much as we stop in route to go to the restroom and get in the fridge, I can't imagine not having easy access to either.

Some might say the same about installing the portable braking system each time we head out, but I don't mind it.

As I get older, I realize what I'd never put up with, some folks don't think twice about.  Personal preference I guess.
Kurt
2018 Winnebago Minnie Winnie 31K - 2011 Equinox

Old Racer

• ---
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2018, 09:37:20 AM »
If you can not take a quick bathroom break, grab something from the refrigerator or take a nap without opening slides, I want nothing to do with it.  Opening a slide in a rest area? Really?? Must be part of the world we have not explored.

si camper

• ---
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2018, 11:36:39 AM »
No access to the refrigerator or bathroom is a none starter.

Was inside a camper with my DW at a RV show and was commenting about this particular floor plan and not being able to get to the bathroom with the slide closed.  A woman close to us asked what I meant and then stated she had never thought about that until I told her.  I then noticed the salesman behind the woman and he didn't look pleased.  Ushered my wife out to look elsewhere.
Steve & Kim
2015 Sanibel Traveler 33RS
2011 F350 Lariat Diesel Crew Cab
Southern Illinois

RedandSilver

• ---
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2018, 06:09:07 PM »
That is one of the reasons I have the coach I have. I can use it with the slides in. There are only a couple of drawers in the bead room that are blocked. Never buy or seriously consider anything if you don't run the slides in and see if you can use it.
Bill
:)) :)) :))

I'm the same as Bill.  Only 3 bedroom drawers and one cabinet can't be opened with the slides closed.
Yes I have a coach and not a TT.  But one reason for that is I don't have to get out in the rain etc to use it.
The fridge and sink and pantry and cupboards and bed all are accessible with both slides closed - guess I got lucky.

The point about opening a slide in the rain is a good one.  If you do it when it's raining there is a good chance you will have
water on the top of the slide and if you don't remove it with towels etc you will have water on the inside of your trailer.
Even with slide toppers, My MH has water on the slides and I check before I close them for it's presence to avoid water on the floor etc.

Since it appears the OP has NOT bought a unit yet I agree that you need to look at every unit you are considering with the slides closed
and then pretend your going to get a bite to eat and then use the toilet and then take a nap and anything else you can think of that
might happen with the slides closed.

On my way to FL I stayed in a Church lot (with permission) and didn't realize until I got there that the entire lot had at least a 10į slope
so there was no way I wanted to open a slide even with a lot of room to do so. 

So my vote (although the only one that counts is the OP's) would be to find one that you could do anything you wanted to with them closed.
Of course a salesman will tell you just open a slide anytime you want and everything will be fine - but remember he wants a sale and he's
not going to live in it.  You are......
2002 Rexhall Rose Air  Cummins 8.3  350hp
West MI Summer   Central FL Winter

Old_Crow

• ---
  • Former USAF F-4 crew chief
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2018, 06:54:37 AM »
Bill

Hope my wife doesn't see this post.  So far I've restricted her bead and craft supplies to one basement compartment.  No way I want her taking up a whole room in the RV like she does the house.   ;)

More OT, we've only got  one cabinet that's blocked with the slide in.  We can live without whatever's in there for a night or two.
Wally Crow
Retired 30 year ASE Master Auto Tech
Y2K Bounder 36S F53
'03 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

FunSteak

• ---
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2018, 08:19:31 AM »
I will echo others who feel that access to the essentials with slides retracted was important to us.  In fact, it was one of our deal breakers. 

Our coach has three slides.  Two in the rear bedroom, one for extending the bed out the rear, one for a wardrobe closet/drawer unit.  The third is the dinette.

With the slides in, we can't use the main bed, and can't access a couple of the drawers.  This isn't an issue for us, as we have a large over-cab bunk that's plenty big and comfy enough for both of us, should we need to sleep with the slides in.  The dinette slide leaves plenty of space between it and the kitchen area, giving full access to all of the kitchen, storage, bathroom and shower.  That way, we can have all the amenities with the slides in.  It has already come in handy more than a couple of times. 

Do choose whatever is best for you, but I'd suggest at least giving this some consideration.  We immediately loved the layout of this coach, but still sat and contemplated carefully how we'd use it with the slides in or out.  Actually moved around, opened cabinets, etc, to get a clear picture of how it would feel and how we could use everything.

It worked out very well for us.  I wish the same for you.  :-)
JP & Karen
2017 Minnie Winnie 26a

Hosted by Over The Network