newbie - fridge access with slides in

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tea Sipper

Hello everyone ,
I am new here to the forum.  My husband and myself are excited to welcome a new season in our lives.....  Empty Nesters  :D 
We are trying to figure out what floor-plan works best for us. 
How important is it to be able to access the fridge when the slides are in?  This eliminates a lot of nice trailers if this is super important.
I have more questions, but don't want to overload yall too soon. 
Thanks

Hi and welcome to the forum. 

We need to put one slide out out if we need in for a few bits and bobs, but it's not an issue. It's usually if we are parked up somewhere and want to make a quick sandwich or get something out.  It only takes a few seconds to move it and as long as there is space to do so, it is fine.

Ours is quite near the door though and only needs one slide out moved.

Three things we looked for when we were looking was:
1) We wanted to be able to start the furnace and heat the RV with all the slides closed. None of our floor registers are covered by the slides.
2) We wanted to be able to open up the fridge and get to the sink without opening up the slide. Also all the switches for lights and water pump are accessible.
3) Be able to get into bed without having to open the slides. My DW just rolls in but I have to climb over her to get to  my side. No big deal.

No access to the refrigerator or bathroom is a none starter.

Denny

For us, it wasn't even something we looked at.  But as it turned out, we have needed access to it while on the road.  In our current 5th wheel, we can get to the fridge even though the slides block it.  It allows us to just open it, and if we put what we want within reach (stuff to make sandwiches usually), it is no problem.  And a gallon of milk barely squeezes between the door due to the slide.  It works for us.  I don't think it would have been a deal breaker though.

In 12 years with a fiver with no refer access with the slides close, I just do not see see an issue.  Our fiver has slide out selector valves, so if we stop and absolutely have to get to the refer it takes me all of 10 seconds to close the other two valves, go inside and open the LR slide enough to walk in and open the refer.  Just not the big deal many try to make it out to be.

Our fiver has access to the refrigerator, bathroom, kitchen sink, dinning table and bed with both slides in. That was a requirement when we purchased. We love our floor plan. :) :))

If you want access and need the slides open, please read the manual as some manufacturers required that the unit is level before opening the slides.  So, in some cases is not as easy as opening the slides alone.  As some suggested you need to find one with access with slides in or get used not to have access to the refrigerator.  Many have access to the bathroom but not to the kitchen appliances.

That is one of the reasons I have the coach I have. I can use it with the slides in. There are only a couple of drawers in the bead room that are blocked. Never buy or seriously consider anything if you don't run the slides in and see if you can use it.
Bill

If you plan on making meals on the road, it can be very important, but if you just want to make sandwiches, get a snack, or a bottle of water, that can be solved by using a small to medium sized cooler while traveling. The important thing is having the floorplan work for you, not what works for us. If a floorplan that works for you when set up on a site is "perfect" for you, but has shortcomings when the slides are in, sometimes a workaround can be done to make it suitable for you. It really depends on your situation, and what you are comfortable with.

Tea Sipper said:
How important is it to be able to access the fridge when the slides are in?  This eliminates a lot of nice trailers if this is super important.

They are not nice trailers if access is difficult.  We stop for bathroom, lunch breaks and overnight often so we want full access without moving a slide.

We can get to the fridge with the slide in, but can?t open the bathroom door wide enough to fit. It?s generally not a big problem to run the slide out a foot or so to access the bathroom. Since you can get away with a cooler for keeping lunch or snacks fresh, access to the bathroom with the slide(s) in may be a higher priority.

Since you are talking about a trailer, you are going to be stopped anyway if you want to access fridge [or bath], so opening a slide is only a minor nuisance. I would call that a minor "negative" but not an important "showstopper".  Moving a slide out temporarily is hardly a big deal - just the push of a button.

Our last TT had the bathroom door blocked when the slide was in. We'll never do that again (although we loved the camper otherwise) but I would not let the fridge being blocked stop me from buying an otherwise perfect rig.

As far as being level before using a slideout, I'm very strict about that when setting up. On the road, however, I don't see a problem deploying the slide since it will simply pivot on the hitch a bit as the weight transfers outward. No frame twisting involved.

Rene T said:
Three things we looked for when we were looking was:
1) We wanted to be able to start the furnace and heat the RV with all the slides closed. None of our floor registers are covered by the slides.
2) We wanted to be able to open up the fridge and get to the sink without opening up the slide. Also all the switches for lights and water pump are accessible.
3) Be able to get into bed without having to open the slides. My DW just rolls in but I have to climb over her to get to  my side. No big deal.

What Rene doesn't explain is why these are important items. When traveling, sometimes it is necessary to do the Walmart/Cracker Barrel/Whatever parking lot camping, and good parking lot etiquette dictates that slides usually should stay retracted. Another consideration is that sometimes, slide motors or electrical controls to slides do fail, hopefully in the retracted position, and you do not want your vacation to be ruined because you could not get to the fridge or in some cases even use the bed (think mattress folded in half with slide retracted).

Charles

Another thing to think about is packing the refrigerator before a trip. Many don?t have the luxury of off-street parking, and my street is too narrow to safely open the slide all the way. When we absolutely have to we put traffic cones out and have someone watching, but it is a massive inconvenience. For me, refrigerator and bath access with slides In was non-negotiable. YMMV.

CharlesinGA said:
What Rene doesn't explain is why these are important items. When traveling, sometimes it is necessary to do the Walmart/Cracker Barrel/Whatever parking lot camping, and good parking lot etiquette dictates that slides usually should stay retracted.

Even if you never use Walmart or any other parking lots for overnight stays, we find it very nice to be able to pull into a highway rest area and access everything in our MH without touching the slides.  Every cabinet in our rather large kitchen is fully accessible with the slide retracted as is everything else in our coach.  We wouldn't want it any other way.

And don't forget those (rare) times when you are subject to snow or an ice storm and it is much better to be able to keep the slides in.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Since you are talking about a trailer, you are going to be stopped anyway if you want to access fridge [or bath], so opening a slide is only a minor nuisance. I would call that a minor "negative" but not an important "showstopper".  Moving a slide out temporarily is hardly a big deal - just the push of a button.

Except that some manufacturers require the unit be level and stabilizing jacks be deployed before opening the slide.

Except that some manufacturers require the unit be level and stabilizing jacks be deployed before opening the slide.

Yeah, but they recommend a lot of things that are often just CYA or parroting of traditional wisdom. For years two different departments at my coach builder's factory issued  written slide deployment instructions that were the exact opposites of each other. Both swore their instructions were the correct one and that dire things could happen if I did not comply. They were both wrong...!  ???

As new RV'ers a couple years ago, we wouldn't have known the difference (especially since our first RV didn't have slides). It was when we purchased our second RV we realized what a pain it was to maneuver with the slides in.  You could still get to the fridge and bathroom but you had to cartwheel up on the couch to avoid running your hip into the kitchen counter top.  I'm pretty limber but cartwheels are not in my repertoire  :p

In our current RV we can access anything and don't even need to put the slide out for an overnight or two; the slide just gives us extra space.  As much as we stop in route to go to the restroom and get in the fridge, I can't imagine not having easy access to either.

Some might say the same about installing the portable braking system each time we head out, but I don't mind it.

As I get older, I realize what I'd never put up with, some folks don't think twice about.  Personal preference I guess.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom