Trailer Too Heavy For Me to Pull...Need HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MandM

Hi All,

We are in the process of purchasing a 30' Trailer (7700 dry) and would like to hear any thoughts on the best vehicle type to do the job.  Many seem to prefer a pickup but we would rather use an SUV if possible.  Can you please tell me if you think an SUV would be comparable and any specific models.

Thanks
Mitch & Monica

You would need a 3/4 ton truck to safely tow that trailer,  with gear, food, water,clothing etc it would easily surpass 10000 lbs and the last thing you want is for the tail to wag the dog ( tow truck). Look in the library for more info. What is the GVRD of your truck ?

And don't use the dry weight when choosing a tow vehicle. Use the trailer's GVWR. GVWR is Gross Vehicle Weight Rating if you don't already know. If you are unfamiliar with some of the acronyms that get thrown out around here, click on the glossary tab above to get explanations.

namumac1 said:
You can get a Suburban in the 2500 or a Yukon XL

You would need to find a good used one since they haven't been available for a few years.  Fleet buyers can get a new one for big bucks.

lynnmor said:
You would need to find a good used one since they haven't been available for a few years.  Fleet buyers can get a new one for big bucks.

Chevy /Gmc makes the Suburban /Yukon 2500 hd which is a 3/4 ton as of 2017 the diesel version is coming soon as well at a 1ton 3500 version ask any fleet GM guy to get you one they will np or buy a used one from Budget or Avis etc they are easily found

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2017/07/chevy-suburban-3500hd-heavy-duty-vs-chevrolet-suburban/

Another option would be a 1 ton, 6 seat pickup with a cap. Just be aware of the weight of the cap using some of your available payload. The price difference between a 1 ton and a 3/4 tons about $800-$1000. Physical size is exactly the same.

Yes the trailer is too heavy for an SUV.  There is a reason trucks are the preferred vehicles to tow with.

If you haven't purchased the trailer yet and you don't want a truck then you should choose a smaller trailer.
If you have purchased the trailer then you will need to get a truck, IMO.  And for the most part there is no such thing as too much truck.

Personally I don't think "Dry Weight" should ever be published as the only time that might apply is driving it home when new.
You didn't say if it was new or used.  If used many times the previous owner will leave a few things in it for you, so it's already above
dry weight to start with.

Now if you really don't want to buy a truck - buy a 32-36ft motorhome and pull the SUV you now have.  Problem solved.  ;D

With a 7700 lb dry weight, you are talking a GVWR in the 9000-10,000 lb arena and that's is going to exceed the capability of most any late model SUV.  Ford has an Expedition rated for about 9200 max and The GM Yukon XL goes to about 8400, but after adding passengers and gear in the SUV, there isn't enough tow capacity left for that size trailer. A full size van like the GM Express or Savannah 3500  would probably mange it - they can be had with tow capacity up to 10,000 lbs.

Realistically, though, you should be looking at a 2500 or 3500 pick-up.  An upscale trim crew-cab model is every bit as nice a driver as a big SUV.

There are plenty 1/2 ton trucks that will tow that trailer safety and with plenty of payload to spare.

1. F150 with the 5.0, or 3.5 Eco boost with the heavy duty payload package.

2. Chevy Silverado with the Max Trailering package will handle it and leave you with plenty of payload to spare.

A 3/4 ton truck won't hurt, but it will not be necessary for safe towing on that trailer.

the 2005 Ford Excursion with the V10 is about the only one, unless you can find a GM 2500

I used to have a 1500 Silverado with Max Trailer Package pulling a 5,500# trailer.  Even with an Equalizer WD it was as much as it could handle.

You need a 2500 truck or an old 2500 Excursion or 2500 Suburban at least for the kind of trailer you are considering.

I priced an F150 Ecoboost, 4x2 Supercrew, 145" WB, 3:73 rear. GCWR for truck is 17,000 ponds with max loaded trailer weight of 11,700 pound. Priced out at $37,800. I believe this truck would pull that trailer with no problems.

Wood said:
There are plenty 1/2 ton trucks that will tow that trailer safety and with plenty of payload to spare.
I respectfully disagree.  There are a FEW ? trucks that MIGHT handle the load.  The F150 WITH HD PAYLOAD is one, but they are hard to find.

Remember, that trailer will drop 1000# or more onto the bumper, and your payload (not the advertised payload) must handle that, plus all passengers and cargo carried in the truck.  Many nicely equipped ? ton trucks will have yellow placard payloads of 1500# or less.  That is NOT enough to safely handle that TT.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Here is our experience.

This is the weight info for our TT:

Dry Weight 7,470 lbs. GVWR 10,500 lbs. Hitch Weight 1,025 lbs.

We wanted a 1/2 ton truck but quickly realised it was not possible as we couldn't find any with the CCC we needed, that's not to say there aren't any out there, but we couldn't get one. 

Even whilst looking for a 3/4 ton we struggled to get the CCC.

I am so glad I came to this forum before we made our purchase or we could have made a costly mistake.

Sure there are quite a few configuration of each 1/2 trucks that will not  have the specs for that trailer,  but besides the Ram, each manufacturer has quite at least a crew cab 4x4 (Double Cab for Toyota) that will safely handle that trailer just fine, especially Ford and GM.

That 1,500 lbs payload you mentioned is the 1/2 ton with the worse towing configurations, and even the off the lot CC 4x4 with the 3.42 rear will handle that trailer,  and meet all capacities, but I will swap to LT tires and maybe bilstiein shocks.

That Max Trailering package from GM will take a 1,000 lbs hitch and ready to camp gear with payload to spare.

That F150 5.0 and the 3.5 EB CC HDPP, 4x4 got even greater payload and towing ratings than GM, and there isn't a "might" in the equation, it will haul that trailer safely, and all four seats full of passengers.

That is why Ford and GM made such higher rated 1/2 tons...to haul more, and pull more than your typical off the lot 1/2, and most travel trailers fall within those capacities.

jackiemac said:
Hi and welcome to the forum.

Here is our experience.

This is the weight info for our TT:

Dry Weight 7,470 lbs. GVWR 10,500 lbs. Hitch Weight 1,025 lbs.

We wanted a 1/2 ton truck but quickly realised it was not possible as we couldn't find any with the CCC we needed, that's not to say there aren't any out there, but we couldn't get one. 

Even whilst looking for a 3/4 ton we struggled to get the CCC.

I am so glad I came to this forum before we made our purchase or we could have made a costly mistake.

If you are planning on maxing out that trailer, the only 1/2 ton I would trust would be the Ford F150 with the heavy duty payload package, CC 3.5 EB. (2400 lbs plus payload) even on the XLT 4x4, but dealers rarely carry those on the lot, and owners hang on to those that are out there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom