EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Trailer Too Heavy For Me to Pull...Need HELP!  (Read 2356 times)

TonyDtorch

Re: Trailer Too Heavy For Me to Pull...Need HELP!
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2018, 09:01:38 AM »
The biggest problem with buying a 3/4 or 1 ton truck is a large percentage of the time you drive that truck.. you are not towing anything.

Wood

• ---
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2018, 09:21:45 AM »
The Heavy Duty Payload option makes a huge difference in the trailering capability for the F150 EcoBoost.   Be careful, though, because it does not guarantee a net Payload (OCCC) or 2900 lbs. Instead, it increases the GVWR by upgrading wheels, tires and suspension, along with an 8 ft box. The Payload/OCCC is still the difference between the truck curb weight and the GVWR, so trim level and options still reduce the net difference.  Ford says the max possible payload on an EcoBoost F150 is 2230 with standard suspension and 2900 with the HD Payload option, so it adds a net of 670 lbs.  If a typical F150 EcoBoost ends up with a payload around 1500 lbs, then adding the HD package can be expected to increase that to about 2170 lbs.

This news article (not direct from Ford) has a layman's explanation of how the HD Payload option helps both EcoBoost and V8-equipped F150's..

http://www.automotive-fleet.com/channel/vehicle-research/news/story/2015/03/ford-offers-heavy-payload-f-150-to-commercial-users.aspx

Actually,  the off the lot CC 4x4 has a payload rating in the 2,000 lbs range, but that includes Ford's soft suspension.

The heavy duty payload package will add around 600 or so pounds to the ratings to around 2,500 pounds, and tighten up that suspension to reduce sag and bounce.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 09:23:20 AM by Wood »

steveblonde

• ---
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2018, 09:23:57 AM »
The Heavy Duty Payload option makes a huge difference in the trailering capability for the F150 EcoBoost.   Be careful, though, because it does not guarantee a net Payload (OCCC) or 2900 lbs. Instead, it increases the GVWR by upgrading wheels, tires and suspension, along with an 8 ft box. The Payload/OCCC is still the difference between the truck curb weight and the GVWR, so trim level and options still reduce the net difference.  Ford says the max possible payload on an EcoBoost F150 is 2230 with standard suspension and 2900 with the HD Payload option, so it adds a net of 670 lbs.  If a typical F150 EcoBoost ends up with a payload around 1500 lbs, then adding the HD package can be expected to increase that to about 2170 lbs.

This news article (not direct from Ford) has a layman's explanation of how the HD Payload option helps both EcoBoost and V8-equipped F150's..

http://www.automotive-fleet.com/channel/vehicle-research/news/story/2015/03/ford-offers-heavy-payload-f-150-to-commercial-users.aspx

I love MAX POSSIBLE  lingo - then try to find it, even with a special order its next to impossible because after they publish the numbers they start to group packages so you cant actually get THAT truck but it does make for great advertising and pr

On a side note we were at the RV show in town on the weekend and on a whole ton of rvs were pasted stars xxxx lbs or 1/2 ton towable they were all dry weights not real weights all meant to hook you
2015 Voltage 3305 Toy Hauler - loaded
2017 Ford Escape my Daily driver - first Ford in 25 yrs
2017 Black on Black F350 Diesel Dually loaded (First Ford Truck after 17 GMs) 5167lbs cargo/weight capacity -DRKHORZ

" If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much space"
From Canada Eh

steveblonde

• ---
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2018, 09:28:43 AM »
Actually,  the off the lot CC 4x4 has a payload rating in the 2,000 lbs range, but that includes Ford's soft suspension.

The heavy duty payload package will add around 600 or so pounds to the ratings to around 2,500 pounds, and tighten up that suspension to reduce sag and bounce.

100% possible on a base truck but not on a lariet or platinum so make sure to compare apple to apples
2015 Voltage 3305 Toy Hauler - loaded
2017 Ford Escape my Daily driver - first Ford in 25 yrs
2017 Black on Black F350 Diesel Dually loaded (First Ford Truck after 17 GMs) 5167lbs cargo/weight capacity -DRKHORZ

" If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much space"
From Canada Eh

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2018, 09:31:36 AM »
Gator, I would be willing to bet those are brochure numbers. Try to find one on a dealer's lot with the specs you stated and then look at the infamous yellow sticker. I doubt the curb weight and payload would be as you stated.

You may very well be correct. If I cannot find a truck on the lot that meets my needs I will order one. Based on the loaded trailer weight if the TT I am looking at I don't think a few hundred pounds one way another will make any difference.

The TT I am looking at has a GVWR of 5600 lbs. That equates to roughly, using 10%, about a 600lb tongue weight. Even using 12% my tongue weight would be  672lbs. Well below the payload of the truck.

The biggest problem with buying a 3/4 or 1 ton truck is a large percentage of the time you drive that truck.. you are not towing anything.

This is the biggest reaso for looking at the F150 withe ecoboost. I know the 250 is not really much bigger than the 150 but I like the idea of the ecoboost. If I went with a 250 I would want the diesel which would increase the cost by about 4K.

Different strokes different folks which is why there is so many varaiations on the same theme i like the comforts and you like them bare - hey its all good

If I could choose options off an a la carte menu I would certainly have a few. Many times the option you want has to be purchased within a package that cost way more than the single option desired. Not to mention the package contains options I care nothing about. Besides, I am trying to keep the cost of our hobby at bay.
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier

CWSWine

• ---
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2018, 10:07:37 AM »
I don't understand why someone would buy an F150 with the heavy payload option.  Surely not for the ride since my neighbor had one and even he agreed my 1 ton GMC rode heck lot better than his F150 heavy payload truck.  He caught so heck from his DW that he ended up trading it on an F150 max tow and yes it rides better than my GMC 1 ton but the only thing he tows in a trailer with two jet skis less than 1000 pounds.   His new truck is loaded with the highest trim package and yellow sticker payload of 13XX pounds.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 10:11:05 AM by CWSWine »
-Dennis
2017 Fleetwood Discovery LXE 40D Diesel Pusher 380HP 1150 Foot Pounds Torque 41.3 feet bath and half.
Toads - 2017 Jeep Sahara & 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee
sold 2017 GMC Denali 3500 Diesel CC 3744
sold 2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Sold 2016 - Montana 3711 Front Living Room

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2018, 10:25:14 AM »
I don't understand why someone would buy an F150 with the heavy payload option.  Surely not for the ride since my neighbor had one and even he agreed my 1 ton GMC rode heck lot better than his F150 heavy payload truck.  He caught so heck from his DW that he ended up trading it on an F150 max tow and yes it rides better than my GMC 1 ton but the only thing he tows in a trailer with two jet skis less than 1000 pounds.   His new truck is loaded with the highest trim package and yellow sticker payload of 13XX pounds.

Conversely, I don't understand why someone would buy a 1 ton dually to tow a 5000lb TT.  Like Steveblonde said in an earlier post "Different strokes for different folks".
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier

Wood

• ---
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2018, 10:39:27 AM »

You spec the HDPP for extra payload while hauling or towing. If you need a vehicle for mall shopping, I'd suggest a SUV.

Personally, I wouldn't want a truck as a daily driver, as I have two sedan for those duties. I like trucks for what it does, simular to having  a hammer for driving nails, or a good drill for drilling...just a tool for towing.

If manufacturers didnít see the need or demand for added payload and towing for their 1/2 tons, I'm betting they wouldn't have made them available, but would steer customers to their 3/4 ton instead, and that what I would have been  looking to purchase. They are there for a reason, and I'm taking advantage of it.

I rent a 3/4 ton from Enterprise to tow my RV, but that thing is huge, and at 6'2, 225, that thing is still a pain in the butt to climb up into. To me, it is worse than getting into my Hondas
My friend's 1/2 ton is much better, and it isn't as long
I enjoy the grace, nimbleness and agility of my cars, that I don't foresee me taking many trips when not towing, so any size truck would be utilized for why I purchased a truck...for towing.

A big 2018 F350 SCrew dually diesel Platinum is not something I would want, unless I had a 15,000 lbs 5th wheel that needs towing.  Not even at the same price of a F150.... I would sell it.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 10:59:49 AM by Wood »

CWSWine

• ---
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2018, 12:49:31 PM »
OK, so you don't care about the ride it's all about the payload.  Putting LT tires and heavy suspension on the light truck makes it ride really rough but if that the ride doesn't bother you then go ahead.   I would personnel would spring for heavy truck and better ride and I would purchase diesel for anything over 10,000 pounds that because I don't like to to listening to the engine screaming and yes I know it doesn't hurt them.  Yes, the standard F150 without Heavy Payload rides better than any of my 1 ton or 3/4 ton trucks.  If I was looking at GVWR of the trailer around 5,000 pounds I would concider a F150 just not one with the Heavy Payload Option. 
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 12:51:20 PM by CWSWine »
-Dennis
2017 Fleetwood Discovery LXE 40D Diesel Pusher 380HP 1150 Foot Pounds Torque 41.3 feet bath and half.

CWSWine

• ---
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2018, 12:59:42 PM »
Interest fact on diesel option.....

I paid 6,500 MSRP for the diesel option but I got 12% off MSRP of the truck so I paid 5720 for the option after taking the 12% discount.  I went to Used Car Prices and found that on a 4-year truck the diesel option adds 6100 to the retail price and 5850 to the wholesale price.  What other option can you put on a truck that you can recoup more than you paid for it? 
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 02:26:20 PM by CWSWine »
-Dennis

CWSWine

• ---
« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2018, 01:25:43 PM »
You spec the HDPP for extra payload while hauling or towing. If you need a vehicle for mall shopping, I'd suggest a SUV.

Personally, I wouldn't want a truck as a daily driver, as I have two sedan for those duties. I like trucks for what it does, simular to having  a hammer for driving nails, or a good drill for drilling...just a tool for towing.

If manufacturers didnít see the need or demand for added payload and towing for their 1/2 tons, I'm betting they wouldn't have made them available, but would steer customers to their 3/4 ton instead, and that what I would have been  looking to purchase. They are there for a reason, and I'm taking advantage of it.

I rent a 3/4 ton from Enterprise to tow my RV, but that thing is huge, and at 6'2, 225, that thing is still a pain in the butt to climb up into. To me, it is worse than getting into my Hondas
My friend's 1/2 ton is much better, and it isn't as long
I enjoy the grace, nimbleness and agility of my cars, that I don't foresee me taking many trips when not towing, so any size truck would be utilized for why I purchased a truck...for towing.

A big 2018 F350 SCrew dually diesel Platinum is not something I would want, unless I had a 15,000 lbs 5th wheel that needs towing.  Not even at the same price of a F150.... I would sell it.

I had a Solitude 310GK 35 foot 5er with 2350 dry pin weight and exceed my GVWR (11500) and close to axle ratings before I added a generator and washer and dryer.  I was faced with selling my GMC 1 ton and SRW and going to DRW or exceed my GAWR if I set up the 5er like I wanted it.  I only use the truck for towing and have no need for one in my daily life so a DRW would become a detached motor for my RV.  I decided to put them together and bought a motorhome.  Now I have over 5,000 pounds of payload and still, have over 3000 pounds of payload left over after loading up for a 30-day trip.   I have 10,000 towing capacity and tow 2017 Jeep Wrangler and I load my Cricket golfcart in the back of the jeep and Kayaks on the roof.  Solved my problem of being overweight and where to carry my toys.  Each of us solves our problems a different way and will never tow another RV PERIOD.  But that's me.....
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 01:43:08 PM by CWSWine »
-Dennis

spencerpj

• ---
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2018, 01:31:32 PM »
Any BETS that the original poster MandM never posts again on this website.  I simple SUV question, and a full out spec war on pickup trucks.  I love it !!!  ::)

Wood

• ---
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2018, 01:45:23 PM »
OK, so you don't care about the ride it's all about the payload.  Putting LT tires and heavy suspension on the light truck makes it ride really rough but if that the ride doesn't bother you then go ahead.   I would personnel would spring for heavy truck and better ride and I would purchase diesel for anything over 10,000 pounds that because I don't like to to listening to the engine screaming and yes I know it doesn't hurt them.  Yes, the standard F150 without Heavy Payload rides better than any of my 1 ton or 3/4 ton trucks.  If I was looking at GVWR of the trailer around 5,000 pounds I would concider a F150 just not one with the Heavy Payload Option.

As I recalled, it was owner's wife who complained about the ride of the HDPP truck, and although I've read how that option is more stiffer than the off the lot F150, I've gathered that it is a good ride, but just a bit stiffer and it pays off with a heavy load by providing a more stable and smoother ride.

Those perspectives are the ones I'm hanging my hat on,.versus a man's wife looking for a softer riding  truck.  In addition,  I have no idea whether his LT tires were  filled to it's towing psi...it was never mentioned.

Congratulations on the Class A.

TonyDtorch

« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2018, 01:55:52 PM »
Any BETS that the original poster MandM never posts again on this website.  I simple SUV question, and a full out spec war on pickup trucks.  I love it !!!  ::)

That's because the Sticker Police turn every towing question into a doomsday event.

xrated

• ---
« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2018, 02:19:34 PM »
That's because the Sticker Police turn every towing question into a doomsday event.

Probably a better option than the guys that tell folks that they can safely tow a 20K 5ver with a Toro garden tractor as long as they use LT tires and buy a set of air bags for the truck.   ;D
2016 F350 Crew Cab Dually King Ranch Diesel
2017 Keystone Fuzion Impact 303
Track Bike  2008 GSX-R750
"If it ain't Fast......It ain't Fun

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2018, 02:44:23 PM »
Just get one of these and never have to worry about weight again. Remember the moto; you can never have too much truck!

http://rvhaulers.ca/
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier

RGP

• ---
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2018, 02:47:17 PM »
Couda, shouda, wouda, you will hear all sorts of opinion about tow vehicles. The only thing that count are the real numbers.

Real number come from the CAT scales and tell you what each axel is carrying. You might have 1000 lbs. on the tongue or 700 lbs. on the tongue, plus you do not know how the WD hitch is distributing it.

So, locate the sticker that tells you what the pay load or maximum vehicle weight is for your tow vehicle is. (it will probably show the max axle loading also) Take your rig, loaded for the road, to the scales and get the true weight on each axle. Re-weigh just the tow vehicle.

Now you have the REAL numbers for YOUR rig, not someone's opinion or best guess. From this you can tell how close or how much over your load limit you are. Once you know where you stand you can decide what you want to do about it. Do you want to buy a big TV, a bigger TV or the biggest TV they make. That is a personal decision, that others cannot make for you.

From my experience weight guesses are usually understated. My tow vehicle is at it's weight limit when we leave on vacation it gains and losses weight depending on gas, water, food, tank levels etc.

Good luck

« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 02:48:58 PM by RGP »

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2018, 02:50:44 PM »
I try to leave a few hundred pounds in case I want to pick up a hitchhiker.
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier

spencerpj

• ---
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2018, 03:15:23 PM »
Just get one of these and never have to worry about weight again. Remember the moto; you can never have too much truck!

http://rvhaulers.ca/
But a post like this will start a debate on parking, parking in a parking garage, city driving, wide hips, CDL vs regular license,  etc etc

Us midwest folks need this winter to end so we can go camping.  ;D

TonyDtorch

« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2018, 05:56:04 PM »
Sorry..but those numbers are for the load the wheels and tires can safely withstand..... and your vehicle's mechanical warranty.   

Those numbers are the theoretical limits done with lots of guidance from corporate attorneys and accountants.

In reality.... People all over the world take a 1/2 ton American truck and put the whole family and a 2000 lb. water buffalo in the back, and drive to town on unpaved roads. ....(Speed is everything)

Legally...as a private vehicle you can modify your 1/2 ton truck (as needed whatever it takes) to pull the biggest 5th wheel toyhauler ever made,.... and you can paint right over the 'yellow sticker'.

If it was me I'd buy whatever vehicle you really want,  and modify it as needed to tow whatever trailer you really want.

I used to see homemade Dual Real Wheel Surburbans towing huge trailers all the time.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 06:31:17 PM by TonyDtorch »

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Cedar Falls, Iowa
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2018, 06:33:15 PM »
I had a nice chat one day with someone who bought a big toy hauler that the RV dealer swore could be safely towed by their half ton Toyota Tundra. After they replaced the transmission on the Tundra for the second time, they bought  3/4 ton diesel pickup. Do not think you can violate weight limits without consequences.
Pam and Kevin plus Lily the cat
2014 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 240RKS For Sale
2015 Ram 2500 Diesel
Tiffin 37PA on order
http://toobusyforwork.com

TonyDtorch

« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2018, 06:35:02 PM »
I had a nice chat one day with someone who bought a big toy hauler that the RV dealer swore could be safely towed by their half ton Toyota Tundra. After they replaced the transmission on the Tundra for the second time, they bought  3/4 ton diesel pickup. Do not think you can violate weight limits without consequences.

I had a friend that had a Toyota pickup (250k) that never towed anything and it's on the 3rd trans. Toyotas are not bullet proof anymore.

No load requires Diesel.

Proper size tires and rear axle size/gear ratio is one of the most important factors for good towing.  The old gasoline powered trucks had no trouble with any GVW.  That split ratio rear axle makes it all possible. 

I used to drive a DOT reg 54k lb gasoline powered (572 c/i Ford) 10 wheel crane truck that went across scales everyday at max GVW... with no cargo.    Lots and lots of gear shifting.. but that gas powered truck faithfully went to work (not quickly) across the country 5 days a week for many years.

If you wanted to spend the money you could put that same engine trans and axle in a Toyota Tundra.    ;)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 07:31:17 PM by TonyDtorch »

CWSWine

• ---
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 07:37:33 PM by CWSWine »
-Dennis

TonyDtorch

« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2018, 07:45:11 PM »
Any properly licensed driver in a privately owned and modified vehicle, if safely done can Legally tow any size and weight legal private trailer. (and does not need to go across any scales to be on the highway).

The law states the vehicles need to be safely operated and it's up to the driver to make sure it does. The Yellow Sticker on a private vehicle is not a DOT weight mandate. Private vehicles can be modified to handle more weight.

The laws requiring people to get non-com CDL drivers license to understand 'how' to drive a large vehicle is a separate issue.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 08:35:37 PM by TonyDtorch »

grashley

• ---
  • Western KY for now.
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2018, 08:18:04 PM »
GATOR:

Is it to late to grab a chair and join you?  I'll bring some chips!
Preacher Gordon, DW Debbie
09 Grand Junction 35 TMS  Progressive HW50C
Andersen Ultimate hitch
2013 F350 Lariat LB SRW Supercab diesel 4X4   TST TMS  Garmin 760
Nimrod Series 70 popup (sold)
It's not a dumb question if you do not know the answer.

TonyDtorch

« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2018, 08:41:35 PM »
 some states allow any 16 year old licensed driver to legally operate this privately owned RV through every state in America.   :o

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2018, 10:10:04 PM »
GATOR:

Is it to late to grab a chair and join you?  I'll bring some chips!

Come on over. I'm on my 3rd bottle of wine. I could use those chips.
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier

spencerpj

• ---
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2018, 07:50:31 AM »
some states allow any 16 year old licensed driver to legally operate this privately owned RV through every state in America.   :o

Land of the free  ;),  and ALL states allow any 18 year old go fight and die for their country to allow this freedom.  Just a shame they can't enjoy a beer or glass of wine after they defeat the enemy.

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #58 on: January 31, 2018, 08:18:50 AM »
In the old days, Anyone in the military was able to drink alcohol on base at the EM or Officer's Clubs regardless of age, but I think that was changed in the '80's. It's my understanding they go by the laws of the state the base is located in. I'm not sure what they do for overseas installations.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Cedar Falls, Iowa
« Reply #59 on: January 31, 2018, 09:39:14 AM »
I had a friend that had a Toyota pickup (250k) that never towed anything and it's on the 3rd trans. Toyotas are not bullet proof anymore.

No load requires Diesel.
250K miles and third transmission wouldnít be a huge issue. A third transmission by 30K miles definitely was. And I agree that no bumper pull requires a diesel, but they sure make towing much easier. No continuous shifting going up or down mountains is a big plus for diesels, and I will never be without an exhaust brake on a big vehicle again. We would be tired at the end of the day driving the gas Tundra for 8-9 hours. With the Ram diesel, we are no longer tired at the end of a long day.

The OP can make up his or her own mind, but ignoring what the manufacturer tells you has consequences. If you are willing to accept the consequequences you can ignore the expert advice. His or her call..
Pam and Kevin plus Lily the cat
2014 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 240RKS For Sale
2015 Ram 2500 Diesel
Tiffin 37PA on order
http://toobusyforwork.com

Hosted by Over The Network