Trailer Too Heavy For Me to Pull...Need HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oldgator73 said:
I priced an F150 Ecoboost, 4x2 Supercrew, 145" WB, 3:73 rear. GCWR for truck is 17,000 ponds with max loaded trailer weight of 11,700 pound. Priced out at $37,800. I believe this truck would pull that trailer with no problems.

That configuration is similar to what I am looking for to tow my 37 ft, 8300 pound dry, 9800 max travel trailer. The CC, 4x4 3.5 EB, HDPP, 6.5 bed, with roughly 2,400 lbs payload, leave me with plenty of payload and towing capacity to spare. I want to install a bed cap and have the ability to tow with plenty of fresh water if need be.

RVRAC said:
I used to have a 1500 Silverado with Max Trailer Package pulling a 5,500# trailer.  Even with an Equalizer WD it was as much as it could handle.

You need a 2500 truck or an old 2500 Excursion or 2500 Suburban at least for the kind of trailer you are considering.

If I was looking for a 1/2 ton to tow a heaver trailer, your comments would not be useful without the year of your 1/2,  especially if it came with the weak 5.3 and four speed transmission.

If your 1/2 ton and Max Trailering package was one of those older 2010 and older model, it wouldn't be of any use when it comes to a newer and more capable Silverado with the Max Trailering package.

I would definitely not make a purchase based on this testimonial.

With the 2013 Ram 1500, two wheel drive I had, using a Reese Dual Cam WDH, I pulled a trailer that had a GVWR of just over 9600#. There was no way I could load that trailer to the max with that setup. I have the luxury to have two certified truck scales to use, and found about 8200# was the max I could do. That took a lot of work adjusting the load in the trailer, and a lot more work adjusting the hitch. I was right at the raggedy edge of my weight limits. In all fairness, the Ram handled the load very well, probably a lot due to the hitch. I had not pulled in the mountains, but had run 6% grades with no problems. I drove in 20 mph crosswinds with gusts up to 30 mph. I had to do an emergency maneuver when a hoopdi decided to make a right turn in front of me from the left lane. The Ram handled it all in stride, with no handling issues, and the braking was way more than adequate.  BTW, that trailer was 34' from hitch to bumper. I pulled that same trailer with an F-250 for a while. The truck could have handled the trailer without a WDH, but I set up my Dual Cam for it anyway to help with sway from crosswinds and passing trucks. I believe it was due to not having hardly any load on the spring bars, therefore not letting the hitch do it's job effectively, but I felt more push with crosswinds and passing trucks with that setup then I did with the Ram.

kdbgoat said:
With the 2013 Ram 1500, two wheel drive I had, using a Reese Dual Cam WDH, I pulled a trailer that had a GVWR of just over 9600#. There was no way I could load that trailer to the max with that setup. I have the luxury to have two certified truck scales to use, and found about 8200# was the max I could do. That took a lot of work adjusting the load in the trailer, and a lot more work adjusting the hitch. I was right at the raggedy edge of my weight limits. In all fairness, the Ram handled the load very well, probably a lot due to the hitch. I had not pulled in the mountains, but had run 6% grades with no problems. I drove in 20 mph crosswinds with gusts up to 30 mph. I had to do an emergency maneuver when a hoopdi decided to make a right turn in front of me from the left lane. The Ram handled it all in stride, with no handling issues, and the braking was way more than adequate.  BTW, that trailer was 34' from hitch to bumper. I pulled that same trailer with an F-250 for a while. The truck could have handled the trailer without a WDH, but I set up my Dual Cam for it anyway to help with sway from crosswinds and passing trucks. I believe it was due to not having hardly any load on the spring bars, therefore not letting the hitch do it's job effectively, but I felt more push with crosswinds and passing trucks with that setup then I did with the Ram.

This is the type of detailed testimonial that would help me determine whether I need a larger truck...from RVer who has been towing with a modern 1/2 ton, as opposed to an old truck, or unknown spec 1/2 ton that was under spec.

After a few years of lurking, I discovered pretty quick that, "not enough truck", are more likely from guys who just like big trucks, and think that if you are towing anything, just get the biggest truck possible.

Besides towing my RV, I have absolutely no use, or desire for a truck...I'd take a fast four door sedan any day. :)

Thanks for the information.

Just spec'ed out a Ford F-150 XL 3.5L Ecoboost 4x2 Supercrew 6.5 bed 3:55 Heavy Duty Payload Pkg

Curb WT-4980
GVWR-7850
Payload-2870
Max Tow Rating-12,700

When I am ready to upgrade our TT I will order this truck. Reason, gas mileage.

Oldgator73 said:
Just spec'ed out a Ford F-150 XL 3.5L Ecoboost 4x2 Supercrew 6.5 bed 3:55 Heavy Duty Payload Pkg

Curb WT-4980
GVWR-7850
Payload-2870
Max Tow Rating-12,700

When I am ready to upgrade our TT I will order this truck. Reason, gas mileage.

that is a very very base model truck with almost no options which may be fine for some but others may want some creature comforts that same rear gear 3.55 is one of the reasons i bought my current truck - the mileage should be good as compared to my chevy with the 3.73, but now i have a dually again with more rolling resistance but a payload of over 5000 lbs and all the creature comforts lol

steveblonde said:
that is a very very base model truck with almost no options which may be fine for some but others may want some creature comforts that same rear gear 3.55 is one of the reasons i bought my current truck - the mileage should be good as compared to my chevy with the 3.73, but now i have a dually again with more rolling resistance but a payload of over 5000 lbs and all the creature comforts lol

Most all the vehicles I purchase are base models. Less crap/less problems. The TT we are looking at has GVWR of 5600 lbs.

Gator, I would be willing to bet those are brochure numbers. Try to find one on a dealer's lot with the specs you stated and then look at the infamous yellow sticker. I doubt the curb weight and payload would be as you stated.

Oldgator73 said:
Most all the vehicles I purchase are base models. Less crap/less problems. The TT we are looking at has GVWR of 5600 lbs.

Different strokes different folks which is why there is so many varaiations on the same theme i like the comforts and you like them bare - hey its all good

The Heavy Duty Payload option makes a huge difference in the trailering capability for the F150 EcoBoost.  Be careful, though, because it does not guarantee a net Payload (OCCC) or 2900 lbs. Instead, it increases the GVWR by upgrading wheels, tires and suspension, along with an 8 ft box. The Payload/OCCC is still the difference between the truck curb weight and the GVWR, so trim level and options still reduce the net difference.  Ford says the max possible payload on an EcoBoost F150 is 2230 with standard suspension and 2900 with the HD Payload option, so it adds a net of 670 lbs.  If a typical F150 EcoBoost ends up with a payload around 1500 lbs, then adding the HD package can be expected to increase that to about 2170 lbs.

This news article (not direct from Ford) has a layman's explanation of how the HD Payload option helps both EcoBoost and V8-equipped F150's..

http://www.automotive-fleet.com/channel/vehicle-research/news/story/2015/03/ford-offers-heavy-payload-f-150-to-commercial-users.aspx

The biggest problem with buying a 3/4 or 1 ton truck is a large percentage of the time you drive that truck.. you are not towing anything.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
The Heavy Duty Payload option makes a huge difference in the trailering capability for the F150 EcoBoost.  Be careful, though, because it does not guarantee a net Payload (OCCC) or 2900 lbs. Instead, it increases the GVWR by upgrading wheels, tires and suspension, along with an 8 ft box. The Payload/OCCC is still the difference between the truck curb weight and the GVWR, so trim level and options still reduce the net difference.  Ford says the max possible payload on an EcoBoost F150 is 2230 with standard suspension and 2900 with the HD Payload option, so it adds a net of 670 lbs.  If a typical F150 EcoBoost ends up with a payload around 1500 lbs, then adding the HD package can be expected to increase that to about 2170 lbs.

This news article (not direct from Ford) has a layman's explanation of how the HD Payload option helps both EcoBoost and V8-equipped F150's..

http://www.automotive-fleet.com/channel/vehicle-research/news/story/2015/03/ford-offers-heavy-payload-f-150-to-commercial-users.aspx

Actually,  the off the lot CC 4x4 has a payload rating in the 2,000 lbs range, but that includes Ford's soft suspension.

The heavy duty payload package will add around 600 or so pounds to the ratings to around 2,500 pounds, and tighten up that suspension to reduce sag and bounce.

Gary RV_Wizard said:

I love MAX POSSIBLE  lingo - then try to find it, even with a special order its next to impossible because after they publish the numbers they start to group packages so you cant actually get THAT truck but it does make for great advertising and pr

On a side note we were at the RV show in town on the weekend and on a whole ton of rvs were pasted stars xxxx lbs or 1/2 ton towable they were all dry weights not real weights all meant to hook you

Wood said:
Actually,  the off the lot CC 4x4 has a payload rating in the 2,000 lbs range, but that includes Ford's soft suspension.

The heavy duty payload package will add around 600 or so pounds to the ratings to around 2,500 pounds, and tighten up that suspension to reduce sag and bounce.

100% possible on a base truck but not on a lariet or platinum so make sure to compare apple to apples

kdbgoat said:
Gator, I would be willing to bet those are brochure numbers. Try to find one on a dealer's lot with the specs you stated and then look at the infamous yellow sticker. I doubt the curb weight and payload would be as you stated.

You may very well be correct. If I cannot find a truck on the lot that meets my needs I will order one. Based on the loaded trailer weight if the TT I am looking at I don't think a few hundred pounds one way another will make any difference.
Gary RV_Wizard said:

The TT I am looking at has a GVWR of 5600 lbs. That equates to roughly, using 10%, about a 600lb tongue weight. Even using 12% my tongue weight would be  672lbs. Well below the payload of the truck.

TonyDtorch said:
The biggest problem with buying a 3/4 or 1 ton truck is a large percentage of the time you drive that truck.. you are not towing anything.

This is the biggest reaso for looking at the F150 withe ecoboost. I know the 250 is not really much bigger than the 150 but I like the idea of the ecoboost. If I went with a 250 I would want the diesel which would increase the cost by about 4K.
steveblonde said:

Different strokes different folks which is why there is so many varaiations on the same theme i like the comforts and you like them bare - hey its all good

If I could choose options off an a la carte menu I would certainly have a few. Many times the option you want has to be purchased within a package that cost way more than the single option desired. Not to mention the package contains options I care nothing about. Besides, I am trying to keep the cost of our hobby at bay.

I don't understand why someone would buy an F150 with the heavy payload option.  Surely not for the ride since my neighbor had one and even he agreed my 1 ton GMC rode heck lot better than his F150 heavy payload truck.  He caught so heck from his DW that he ended up trading it on an F150 max tow and yes it rides better than my GMC 1 ton but the only thing he tows in a trailer with two jet skis less than 1000 pounds.  His new truck is loaded with the highest trim package and yellow sticker payload of 13XX pounds.

CWSWine said:
I don't understand why someone would buy an F150 with the heavy payload option.  Surely not for the ride since my neighbor had one and even he agreed my 1 ton GMC rode heck lot better than his F150 heavy payload truck.  He caught so heck from his DW that he ended up trading it on an F150 max tow and yes it rides better than my GMC 1 ton but the only thing he tows in a trailer with two jet skis less than 1000 pounds.  His new truck is loaded with the highest trim package and yellow sticker payload of 13XX pounds.

Conversely, I don't understand why someone would buy a 1 ton dually to tow a 5000lb TT.  Like Steveblonde said in an earlier post "Different strokes for different folks".

CWSWine said:

You spec the HDPP for extra payload while hauling or towing. If you need a vehicle for mall shopping, I'd suggest a SUV.

Personally, I wouldn't want a truck as a daily driver, as I have two sedan for those duties. I like trucks for what it does, simular to having  a hammer for driving nails, or a good drill for drilling...just a tool for towing.

If manufacturers didn?t see the need or demand for added payload and towing for their 1/2 tons, I'm betting they wouldn't have made them available, but would steer customers to their 3/4 ton instead, and that what I would have been  looking to purchase. They are there for a reason, and I'm taking advantage of it.

I rent a 3/4 ton from Enterprise to tow my RV, but that thing is huge, and at 6'2, 225, that thing is still a pain in the butt to climb up into. To me, it is worse than getting into my Hondas
My friend's 1/2 ton is much better, and it isn't as long
I enjoy the grace, nimbleness and agility of my cars, that I don't foresee me taking many trips when not towing, so any size truck would be utilized for why I purchased a truck...for towing.

A big 2018 F350 SCrew dually diesel Platinum is not something I would want, unless I had a 15,000 lbs 5th wheel that needs towing.  Not even at the same price of a F150.... I would sell it.

OK, so you don't care about the ride it's all about the payload.  Putting LT tires and heavy suspension on the light truck makes it ride really rough but if that the ride doesn't bother you then go ahead.  I would personnel would spring for heavy truck and better ride and I would purchase diesel for anything over 10,000 pounds that because I don't like to to listening to the engine screaming and yes I know it doesn't hurt them.  Yes, the standard F150 without Heavy Payload rides better than any of my 1 ton or 3/4 ton trucks.  If I was looking at GVWR of the trailer around 5,000 pounds I would concider a F150 just not one with the Heavy Payload Option. 

Interest fact on diesel option.....

I paid 6,500 MSRP for the diesel option but I got 12% off MSRP of the truck so I paid 5720 for the option after taking the 12% discount.  I went to Used Car Prices and found that on a 4-year truck the diesel option adds 6100 to the retail price and 5850 to the wholesale price.  What other option can you put on a truck that you can recoup more than you paid for it? 

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom