Is Pro-Guard over my EPDM a necessity every 2-5 years?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigSkyTrailerGuy

I don't know the roof maintenance history on my 2005 Cardinal;  its EPDM roofing is dirty white, and sort of chalky when I crawl on it, but otherwise it's in seemingly fine shape (no holes, no tears).

I've just re-sealed the vents, front cap seams with Eternabond etc. with new putty tape, new stainless screws, then circle-sealed everything with new Dicor lap sealant. 

Fighting melanoma, all that stuff I did was a LOT of work!

>>Is there a vital reason for rolling on a coating $400 worth of Pro-Guard  (other than regaining a white-white roof) to coat it with $400 worth of Pro-Guard?  Is it vital every 2- 4 years in preserving EPDM?  I don't think I have it in me lately to get up there to squeegee and roll...  and certainly not the ready cash...

Without coating it, will the EPDM outlast me as it is?  (But I do want to protect this RV investment if my wife needs to sell it off in the future.)

Thanks --  Brad on Whidbey island.

Personally, It wouldn't be worth it for me. With what you have already done, along with a decent cleaning once or twice a year, depending on where you park it, (trees, etc.) All that's left is check the seam seals that aren't covered with Eternabond. EPDM and TPO should last about 20 years.

There is no reason at all to coat an intact roof, let alone every 5 years.  Roof coats are for use when the original membrane has worn away, which typically takes 15-20 (or more) years. More frequent coating might be desirable for cosmetic reasons, but most EPDM roofs stay decent looking if scrubbed once or twice a year with a strong detergent & bleach solution.

EDPM roofs are designed for the original coating to chalk off over 20 years or so. If the roof hasn't been cleaned in a while there will be a chalky buildup but this is normal, it just hasn't been washed away. 

You can tell the roof is ready for a recoat if you can see places where the membrane has thinned enough that the underlying weaved fabric is starting to show.

Other than that, cleaning once a year (more or less depending on the amount of debris deposited on the roof) and an annual renewal of the caulking around the vents, etc. should be all you need.

Keeping the roof clean will also help keep some of the streaks off the side of your RV also. A lot of the streaking comes from the roof material.

Holy Cats - Every 2 years?  Pretty soon you won't be able to fit under bridges and your trailer will have 3 tons of Pro-Guard on it ;D

Every few years you'll have to put a higher top rung on your ladder to get to your roof. :D

Sorry - I couldn't stop myself.

Back
Top Bottom