5th Wheel Tow Limits (2500 CC Duramax)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jpg.crna

Hello. My wife and I are looking into buying our first RV. Neither of us are new to camping but this will be ?our? first camper. I currently own a 2015 Silverado 2500 CC Duramax with 6?6? bed. We were originally trying to decide between 5th wheels and travel trailers. We eventually decided we would like a 5th wheel better. However, once I began looking at the actual numbers listed for my truck I started really wondering if I can do a 5th wheel and remain within the listed limits for my truck.

The numbers for my truck are as follows:
Curb Weight is just under 7,400#
GVWR is 10,000#
RAWR is 6,200#
Total 5th wheel weight is 17,900#
CCC listed in my door jam is 2,281# (this is the number that got me thinking)
Tires are 3,193# each.

The RVs we were looking at are:
Cougar Half Ton 29RDB - UVW 8,155#, CC 2,100#, GVWR 10,255#, Hitch weight 1,455#.
Grand Designs Reflections 28BH - UVW 8,895#, CC 2,100#, GVWR 10,995#, Hitch weight 1,500#.
Jayco Eagle HT 29.5BHDS - UVW 8,655#, CC 1,475#, GVWR 10,130#, Hitch weight 1,670#.

There were a few others but they are pretty much in line with these specs.

After really sitting down looking at these numbers and following the 20% of the RV?s GVWR for hitch weight rule I am thinking I could easily end up over my payload capacity with any of these RVs (and these are lightweight models).

I see guys towing 5th wheels with my truck all the time (it doesn?t mean they are legal or safe I guess). I?m just a little surprised that after my tonneau cover, some tools in swing cases in the bed, a beagle, a golden retriever, a one year old, me, and my wife; a moderate load in the trailer (say 1K, I think loading to 2K would be a LOT for us but I could be wrong); and a 5th wheel hitch; that I am skirting so close if not over my payload.

Am I doing my math wrong? Is the fact my truck is a CC holding me back? Do I need to search out an even lighter 5th wheel (for instance the grand designs 150 series 290BH is an unloaded weight of 8294# with a hitch weight of 1280#)? Can I even stay within my limits with a 5th wheel period, requiring me to change gears and go with a TT?

Thanks for any help, I want to stay safe and this is a lot to get figured out for the first time.

This topic and the 3/4 Tons trucks with the very puny payload has been discussed on here many times, and you are correct, the 3/4T trucks like yours is not very capable for towing a 5ver of any size......I know personally, as I previously owned a 2011 F250 Crew Cab, 4x4, 6.7 diesel that had a 2148 lb payload.  All the brands that are built like that are pretty much in the same boat as far as the payload and GVWR.  All three of the trailers that you mentioned above will put you right at, or slightly over your payload capacity.....just the trailer itself.  You also have to consider the approx. 200 lbs of 5ver hitch, and you also stated that you have added to the truck...tonneau cover, tools, etc.  You will certainly be overloaded with any of those three with your current truck.  Sorry, but it's just the way they are built....and believer me, I was as surprised as anyone when it came time for me to get a 5ver to tow behind mine.  I ended up changed gears, so to speak, and bought a tow behind, but it was still right at the limit because of the amount of stuff I added to the truck and the weight of the trailer.  I now own a Dually 1 Ton, which is overkill for my present trailer, but I do have plenty of "extra" if I decide to go with a much heavier trailer in the future.

As a bit of advice, totally ignore the empty trailer weight numbers and only use the trailer GVWR for doing you calculations.  Same with pin weight....ignore the published pin weights, they are for the empty trailer.  Always use the GVWR to calculate the pin weight and use the 20% factor when doing so.  This will get you pretty close to real world numbers for what you need.

"I see guys towing 5th wheels with my truck all the time (it doesn?t mean they are legal or safe I guess). I?m just a little surprised that after my tonneau cover, some tools in swing cases in the bed, a beagle, a golden retriever, a one year old, me, and my wife; a moderate load in the trailer (say 1K, I think loading to 2K would be a LOT for us but I could be wrong); and a 5th wheel hitch; that I am skirting so close if not over my payload."

yes you do see alot of people doing it - BUT - there are a couple of issues with it. They are legally over weight so in the case of an accident there are potential issues. the biggest difference between your 2500 and a 3500 is the rear spring, all GMs have the same rear end, same brakes etc etc but the 3500 series trucks have an additional leafspring so you have a choice, add a leaf, find a totaled 3500 and use his spring pack or buy airbags NOW HERE IS THE LEGAL PART - UNLESS CERTIFIED BY AN ENGINEER YOU HAVE NOT LEGALLY CHANGED THE WEIGHT RATING un-legal part, the biggest issue from a handling part is the pin weights on those trailers will squat the truck so bad that you will bottom out, your headlights will shoot the moon, you wont have very good steering or brakes ( your truck needs to be level in order to have those last two)

xrated is 100% correct

but that is how people get around it - NO adding airbags does not change the truck rating, yes i know they are 5000lb airbags blah blah blah but it doesnt change the rating PERIOD. and i have seen it and it is becoming more prevalent whereby law enforcement agencies are scaling recreational vehicles some even have portable scales and will scale you at the side of the road ( ive seen them do it in Idaho but they have never scale me personally)

cheers steve

Let me be the first, welcome to the forum. All your questions will get answered here.
This may help:
http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,111545.0/topicseen.html

Welcome to the Forum!!

Yes, your calculations are correct.  No, your truck can not handle those FW campers and your family.  Sorry, but thanks for asking!!  Steve and X gave you the reasons you already knew.  That one year old and wife are MUCH too precious to risk your safety.

The GOOD NEWS is your truck CAN handle a really nice TT style camper.  Where the FW puts 20% of its' weight on the truck, the TT only places 10% - 12% of its' weight on the truck.  Run those numbers and you and the truck will be much happier.

Weigh your truck.  Likely numbers are....... 10,000GVWR.  Scaled weight ready to travel between 75 and 8000 pounds.  Meaning at the absolute top end you will have around 2 to 2500 pounds of real world available payload.  Subtracy 200 pounds for hitch leaving you right at 2000 pounds for pin weight.  20% of a fivers total weight is defined as pin weight.  Meaning you can safely handle a fiver of no more to 10,000 pounds ready to travel.

Truck twin here. Everyone above is correct. I just went through this looking at different fifth wheels that my truck could handle and there are definitely a few out there, mainly in the 25 foot HT range,  but for what you get in those FWs (very little living space) you?re better off with a larger TT where you will have more selection.

Thank you all for the replies. You have all confirmed what I thought to be true. We are now looking for a good travel trailer. I'm a little disappointed, but I certainly value the safety of my family and the others' on the road. I'm sure we will be happy with a TT as well. This also gives me a reason to get a new truck eventually when we want a bigger trailer :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom