Help! I got a leak!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wijames2002

After a hard rain last night, I realized that I have a leak around an old satellite dish that was on the roof. The dish has been removed but the base is still there. Would it be better to just lap seal the whole area good or try to remove the entire base and patch it with eternabond tape and lap seal that? Suggestions?

I'd remove the base and seal with either lap sealant or Eternabond tape (or both).  Should not take a lot - just some screw holes and one gap where the coax cables went through the roof.

If the whole area is damaged for some reason, you could always cover that section with a piece of new roof membrane, glued and edge-sealed. Patch size EPDM kits are available. I doubt if that would be needed, though.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
I'd remove the base and seal with either lap sealant or Eternabond tape (or both).  Should not take a lot - just some screw holes and one gap where the coax cables went through the roof.

If the whole area is damaged for some reason, you could always cover that section with a piece of new roof membrane, glued and edge-sealed. Patch size EPDM kits are available. I doubt if that would be needed, though.

Thanks, I think that's what I'm going to do. It also has the hole where the raise/lower system was too. I ordered a role of Eternabond this morning. Now to find something that will remove the water stains in the inside. In my unit its cloth.

Here in Europe we have a sealant called Tec7, I use it on everything.
Get up there and have a really close look. The smallest hole or loose screw will bring in loads of water.
One you get familiar with your roof the weak areas will be easy to identify.
If I was patching I would use a plate of Aluminium cut to size.

Back
Top Bottom