Real Time and History Weather for National Parks and other areas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AStravelers

Real Time and History Weather for National Parks and other areas

Towards the bottom of this posting is a link to weather for very specific locations and directions on how to use the website.  If you want to skip all my lead in verbiage, just scroll down.

So much of the time I see postings in forums where people ask about certain places to stay in the off seasons, and there are many replies like, ?Oh, no, it is winter time and the weather will be absolutely freezing cold with constant snow, etc.?  However when you really view the 30 day history, the weather may actually be find for many people. 

We travel a lot in the shoulder seasons and winter.  It is so great to be able to visit places and not have hordes of people around and campsites available. 

To do this we want to have specific weather history for the exact places we want to visit.  Places like Zion NP, Grand Canyon NP, Big Bend NP and many others.

However entering a place name in most weather forecast websites, such as http://www.weather.gov/, https://weather.com/, https://www.wunderground.com/, etc, gives you the weather many miles away. Sometimes 50-100 miles and a difference in hundreds to a thousand or more feet in elevation. 

An excellent example is Zion NP.  Entering ?Zion National Park? in weather websites has given us the weather in Cedar City, Knab, or Hurricane.  Hurricane is not so bad, it is not that far away. The the other two have much colder weather than Zion.

Here is a graph of the last 30 days of weather, right at the campground in Zion we would be staying at:

OK, the forum won't let me put the image here.  Scroll to the bottom for the image.

Most days of highs in the 60?s with lows in the 40?s, with bright warm sun, is very pleasant weather.  Yes there are a few days of cold unpleasant weather, which we could just wait out, or leave, or not go if the weather forecast is predicting a winter storm coming.  Farther down will be info on how to find this info.

Another example: Grand Canyon NP.  Down right chilly weather, but very doable with highs around 50 and lows around freezing, except for a 2-3 days of very cold temps.  We have been here in winter with weather like this.  It is chilly, but with bright sun, it is quite pleasant.

OK, the forum won't let me put the image here.  Scroll to the bottom for the image.

Granted it won?t give us the potential weather extremes, such as if a winter storm comes through.  We use the area weather forecasts to watch for weather extremes and leave if we believe the weather will be worse than what we will tolerate for a few days.

OK, enough of the talk! 

Here is the link to Mesowest website where you will find locations to thousands of weather stations with exact GPS locations so you can verify you are seeing the weather where you want to visit and not some place 50 miles away and a thousand feet in elevation difference.

How to locate Mesowest Weather Stations

1.  Go to:  http://mesowest.utah.edu/
2.  Click on the state you want.  You will see a few black dots with red numbers in white boxes. Each is a real time weather station with current & history data for up to the last 30 days.
Don?t stop here, go to the next step to see all the weather stations available. 
3.  In the ?Data Selection? area on the left side of the screen, in the ?Network area:? click on the drop down arrow and select ?all networks? and click on ?Refresh Map?
4.  You should be seeing all the weather stations available.
5.  Look for the ?+ and -  symbols? in the lower left of the screen.  These let you zoom the map in and out.
6.  To scroll the map, use your mouse and ?left click and hold? a point on the map.  Now moving your mouse will scroll the map to the section of the map you are interested in.
7.  Zoom in closer and scroll the map to the area you are interested in.
8.  Click on any black bullet, each of which is a real time weather station.
9.  This will bring up a box labeled ?Current Stations Observations?.  You are now looking at the last 24 hour readings for that weather station.
10.  To look at the history readings for up to the last 30 days, click on ?Additional Tabular and Graphical Displays? located at the bottom center of the box.
(Note: I like to right click on ?Additional Tabular and Graphical Displays? and then select ?Open in a new Tab or Window?.  This way I keep the tab or window I was on in my browser so can easily to back to the screen I came from)
11. You should now be looking at detailed info for the last 24 hours
12.  To see the history data, click on ?Change to Graphical Display? on the left side of the screen about half way down. This will bring up as screen with the last 24 hours of data in graphical display format.
13.  To view the 2, 5, 7, 14, or 30 day history, click on ?Time Period [Previous 1 day] drop down arrow?  and from the drop down list select the time period you want and then click on ?Change Graph? (located one line down, all the way to the right)

Attachments

• Zion 30 day history.png
    Zion 30 day history.png
    31.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Grand Canyon 30 Day.png
    Grand Canyon 30 Day.png
    34.6 KB · Views: 13
All of those black dots are airports. Some have full weather reports and others automated reports of wind and temperature.

BruceinFL said:
All of those black dots are airports. Some have full weather reports and others automated reports of wind and temperature.
The majority definitely are not at airports.  While some are, most are weather stations located away from airports.    Note: is important to follow steps 3 & 4 to see the majority of weather stations.  That is the main reason I find MesoWest weather stations so useful.  The ones I usually am interested in are actually located at the places I am interested in, not at city/town airports.

To the best of my knowledge all of these weather stations are automated. They report every hour.  Some even more often than every hour, although I doubt I need or want info more than every hour.

I am not sure what "full weather reports" means.  What the weather stations report is just what is gathered from the sensors.  Wind speed, temp, humidity, etc. 

For those truly interested in see the location of the black dots, copy the GPS location from the web page of the weather station and paste it into your favorite mapping app or program.  For example the weather station within a couple hundred yards of the campgrounds in Zion is at: 37.204722 -112.977778

Weather Underground is another app that has literally thousands of weather stations, usually personal stations at someone's home, but some others as well. They also let you see radar, etc.

Larry N. said:
Weather Underground is another app that has literally thousands of weather stations, usually personal stations at someone's home, but some others as well. They also let you see radar, etc.
I use the Weather Underground app and also access the Wunderground.com website on my laptop.  It is one of two weather sites I use extensively, the other being NOAA.

I am unable with see the last 30 days of weather history for the weather station with the Weather Underground app on my smart phone.  Do you have some instructions on how to display the history for each weather station from the app.

When I go to Wunderground.com and show the weather for Zion National Park and click on history, I get the weather history for St George.  St George is somewhat warmer than Zion, being 1500' lower in elevation.  If I show the weather for Springdale, UT, which is right at the entrance to Zion, the history shows me the history for Colorado City, AZ about 1000 feet higher in elevation. 

Both histories are very useful, but it is very handy to be able to see the current weather and 30 day history for the exact weather station I select.

Hello everyone,

+1 for Weather Underground. I often use its "Almanac" function to research a place's average weather on a certain month over the years.

Cheers,
--
  Vall.

Thank you for this information. My Wife and I are wondering when to leave for Yellowstone from South Mississippi. This web site will allow us to see the weather history from last year's time frame to determine when to start our trip.

Once again, thanks.

Jump

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom