30 Amp Surge Protectors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shaunsmo

Hello all, 

I want to get your thoughts about surge protectors?  Are they truly needed?  What's been your experience and it they're a good brand out there that won't set me back several bills?

I bought a new 2018 FR 32BHDS and I want to make sure I protect my new home away from home. 

shaunsmo said:
Hello all, 

I want to get your thoughts about surge protectors?  Are they truly needed?  What's been your experience and it they're a good brand out there that won't set me back several bills?

I bought a new 2018 FR 32BHDS and I want to make sure I protect my new home away from home.
No you can get along just fine till that one time. I tried to get buy with out one and it cost me about $450.00 to repair the circuit board in the washer from a low voltage event that lasted less than 5 seconds. You will have more low power events than over voltage.
I like my portable surge guard because I can check the power with out parking in the site as with a hard wired one. I was in a state park and had to try 3 different power pedestals before I found one that was good.
Bill

Yes, Bill's point is well taken.  I'm not sure whether my Surge Guard has protected me from any surges (yet), but a number of times it has helped me spot inadequate power at power pedestals so I can choose a different site.  It' been 5 years since I bought mine, which was a portable 50A "Surge Guard" brand unit.  My recollection is it might have been around a hundred bucks.  In looking now, I see they offer ones with an LCD display that are $300, give or take, and then others that seem to be real economy models, for less than $70.  I don't know whether the cheap ones do everything you need them to do, but should at least offer some protection.  Others can probably advise on the current crop of surge protectors.

First there are surge protectors and SURGE PROTECTURS.  You need to know the difference.

The first, is not unlike the little six outlet "Surge Supressor" strips you get all over the place. Many plug therir computer and cable modem and printer and such into them (myself included)  They make 30 and 50 amp units as well.  These are really spike supressors. Though they do provide limited protection against ONE power line issue (Spikes) they are no good against surges (Sustained high voltage) or brownouts (Sustained LOW voltage). or any other fault.

Now there are some in teh 200-500 dolllar range, These include the Progressive Industries PT-30c and HW-30c

These contain replacable SPIKE supressors.. (THe low cost stuff) and in addition they monitor voltage and frequency.

If any of those goes high, or low, they cut you off to protect you.

I"ve seen parks where the outlet voltage drops below 90, voltages this low will affect your air conditioners and possibly some other stuff.

I've seen high voltages as well, this bothers your electronics and may take out heaters (Fridge and water water)

And in teh case of a 30 amp plug..  Well there is a common 240 volt outlet that it will fit in just fine, and many are the electricians that look at a TT-30 outlet and ASSUME (you do remember how to spell that right) and wire it for 240 volts (it is supposed to be 120)

THe expensive units, with LCD displays that show voltage and current (EIther local or remote) .. Well they will say 240 volts, do not bypass  Or some such.. and nothing bad happens

The cheap ones simply blow up (internally, not dangerous) and let your hardware fry.

If you purchase a $300 protector, there is a 100% chance you are out $300.
If you go without a protector there is a very small chance that you will have damage and that might be less than $300.
If you experience a low voltage condition, a protector can shut off the electric preventing damage to the air conditioner.
If you buy an autoformer, you will have some surge protection and a very good chance of operating normally when voltage is low.

I really appreciate the information.  I am definitely going to purchase one that is adequate for my TT. 

I had no clue there was a difference in the naming convention but I appreciate the schooling. 

John's post jogged my memory.  I said originally mine was a "Surge Guard" brand.  That is incorrect; it is a Progressive Industries model.  As near as I can tell, its current equivalent is the SSP-50X.  The 30A equivalent would be the SSP-30X.  Around $100 and well worth it.

Edit:  $88 on Amazon with free shipping if you have Prime.

Go to the 'search' feature at the top of the page and do a search on surge protectors or guards.  I think you will find a lot of discussion on them.  For me, I did elect to spend over 200 to buy one and have never regretted it.  At least when I plug in at many different campgrounds I do not worry about the condition of the power.  If it is bad, the device will not let me connect.  If it surges, the device isolates me.  Yes it is insurance and I spend a lot more on that over the lifetime of the coach betting that I will lose.

Bill

I had no clue there was a difference in the naming convention but I appreciate the schooling.

There isn't a naming convention like that - I assume the JFD was merely trying to make a point.

The RV "surge protector" devices come with different levels of capability. The simplest (and least expensive) protect only from micro-second long voltage variations, aka "surges". The next step up is a unit that does that and checks for miswired outlets at the moment you plug in. A still higher level of function does those things and also constantly monitors for high and low voltage, interrupting power before it reaches dangerous levels.

Obviously the best unit is the one that provides the most protection, but the price is commensurate.  It's an insurance product - it is just an expensive extra until the day comes when it saves you from a disaster.

This chart from Progressive Industries shows the functions of their various models. They no longer offer the lowest level (surge only) type.
http://www.progressiveindustries.net/portable-hardwired-comparisons

Back
Top Bottom