rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Wall and cabinet painting  (Read 1143 times)

elbeau54

• ---
  • A man"s got to know his limitations.
Wall and cabinet painting
« on: January 29, 2018, 11:10:15 PM »
I m going to get to paint the inside cabs and walls soon.Looking for those that have done this and their choice of paint to make it stick to surface. Thanks
Elwood Anderson  Timmonsville S C

kdbgoat

• ---
Re: Wall and cabinet painting
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 05:49:40 AM »
Miss Mermaid painted the doors on her cabinets. I'll see if I can find the topic to link to. I don't remember a whole lot of the particulars, but I remember she put a lot of effort into getting them clean, and used a rattle can to do the finish. There have been a few here that have done their walls also. Hopefully they will see this topic and respond.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

Ernie Ekberg

• ---
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 05:49:55 AM »
I would think any quality paint would work. Last month I had a 5th wheel here for floors and the client had done just that. Made a huge difference
Ernie Ekberg, Weatherford, Tx
Prevost Liberty Classic XL
www.ernieekbergflooring.net

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 05:55:24 AM »
Found it. I had in my mind it was more detailed though.

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,103404.msg932674.html#msg932674

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

Old_Crow

• ---
  • Former Phantom Fixer
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 06:09:51 AM »
I remember reading a thread where someone painted his walls and the paint made the vinyl "wallpaper" shrink and pull away from the wall.  Don't remember if he said what kind of paint he used, but if it was me, I'd stick to a water based interior type paint on the walls.
My bro-in-laws's ex-wife painted the walls in their Winnebago.  She used regular flat latex wall paint.  Would have looked great if she hadn't used colors that belong in a Mexican restaurant.   :o
Wally Crow
Retired 30 year ASE Master Auto Tech
Y2K Bounder 36S F53
'03 Jeep Wrangler Sahara

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 06:17:28 AM »
I think Supermanotorious did his also. But I could be wrong. It's getting harder to remember a lot of stuff anymore.

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

spencerpj

• ---
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2018, 06:50:00 AM »
The walls and cabinets are two very different surfaces, and should not be viewed the same.  Walls, I agree, any water based, or anything agressive will eat at the wall paper and make a mess you want no part of, I would use water based primer first.  Cabinets, depends on the surface.  Proper prep work is key.  I have found the the answer is in the prep and (sanding) and a good oil based primer.  Oil based soaks in, and dries hard as a rock.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2018, 10:14:42 AM »
But nothing "soaks in" if the surface is a vinyl "paper" or synthetic veneer, or mica.  However, a good quality primer, whether oil or latex, should work well enough if the surface is clean and any "shine" removed (sanded lightly).

The wallboard used in many Rvs is also "paper" veneer, so similar considerations may apply. In general, though, a good wash to remove grease and wax, a light sanding to degloss, use of a good primer (e.g. Zinsser 123 Plus) followed by a quality brand of paint. The expensive paint from Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore really is better. That's what the pros use.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 10:20:42 AM by Gary RV_Wizard »
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Raidmagic

• ---
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 08:49:42 PM »
I'm in the process of painting mine right now. I'm using Behr paint and primer from Home Depot. It's going on well and sticking nicely.

elbeau54

• ---
  • A man"s got to know his limitations.
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2018, 09:37:21 PM »
Got it all painted,post some pics soon as i rest for a week
Elwood Anderson  Timmonsville S C