Wall and cabinet painting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elbeau54

I m going to get to paint the inside cabs and walls soon.Looking for those that have done this and their choice of paint to make it stick to surface. Thanks

Miss Mermaid painted the doors on her cabinets. I'll see if I can find the topic to link to. I don't remember a whole lot of the particulars, but I remember she put a lot of effort into getting them clean, and used a rattle can to do the finish. There have been a few here that have done their walls also. Hopefully they will see this topic and respond.

I would think any quality paint would work. Last month I had a 5th wheel here for floors and the client had done just that. Made a huge difference

Found it. I had in my mind it was more detailed though.

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,103404.msg932674.html#msg932674

I remember reading a thread where someone painted his walls and the paint made the vinyl "wallpaper" shrink and pull away from the wall.  Don't remember if he said what kind of paint he used, but if it was me, I'd stick to a water based interior type paint on the walls.
My bro-in-laws's ex-wife painted the walls in their Winnebago.  She used regular flat latex wall paint.  Would have looked great if she hadn't used colors that belong in a Mexican restaurant.  :eek:

I think Supermanotorious did his also. But I could be wrong. It's getting harder to remember a lot of stuff anymore.

The walls and cabinets are two very different surfaces, and should not be viewed the same.  Walls, I agree, any water based, or anything agressive will eat at the wall paper and make a mess you want no part of, I would use water based primer first.  Cabinets, depends on the surface.  Proper prep work is key.  I have found the the answer is in the prep and (sanding) and a good oil based primer.  Oil based soaks in, and dries hard as a rock.

But nothing "soaks in" if the surface is a vinyl "paper" or synthetic veneer, or mica.  However, a good quality primer, whether oil or latex, should work well enough if the surface is clean and any "shine" removed (sanded lightly).

The wallboard used in many Rvs is also "paper" veneer, so similar considerations may apply. In general, though, a good wash to remove grease and wax, a light sanding to degloss, use of a good primer (e.g. Zinsser 123 Plus) followed by a quality brand of paint. The expensive paint from Sherwin Williams or Benjamin Moore really is better. That's what the pros use.

I'm in the process of painting mine right now. I'm using Behr paint and primer from Home Depot. It's going on well and sticking nicely.

I've never remodeled my home before, so I really don't know where to start. Luckily, I found the best paint for my RV cabinet. It's a paint kit from Nuvo. This paint is highly recommended as it's a safe, easy, and cheap solution when you just need to add some color to your interior.

I've never remodeled my home before, so I really don't know where to start. Luckily, I found the best paint for my RV cabinet. It's a paint kit from Nuvo. This paint is highly recommended as it's a safe, easy, and cheap solution when you just need to add some color to your interior.
This is almost a four year old post and the the last time the OP was here, they were suppose to follow up by posting pictures and never did. I hope the paint fumes didn’t get to them.

Don't know if it's the best, but the Nuvo package has everything you need for a typical amount of kitchen cabinets. However, there is a possible caveat. The cheapest cabinets are MDF or particle board covered with paper-thin vinyl to give it the appearance of wood. Paint does not stick to the vinyl very well, plus the vinyl layer can peel away, e.g. at corners or seams. I've not ever used Nuvo, so don't know how well it performs on vinyl-covered cabinets.

Be sure to clean the surface well before starting. Kitchen cabinets are often greasy with cooking residue or oily from fingerprints around handles and such. Surface preparation is surely covered in the Nuvo instructions, so be sure to follow them.

Back
Top Bottom