Water heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cjcarola

My husband and are looking to get our 1st rv. We?ve narrowed it down to the Jayco 36bts. Looking at the options we aren?t sure on some. Is a tankless water heater a good one. What about the heat pump for AC?
We are looking to order in next couple of weeks.trying to get as much info as we can. Just found you guys . Looking forward to being here.

Tank less water heaters have pros and cons to them mostly it comes down to they are better for full hookup and not as good when water is limited as they need continuous flow to work well.
The heat pump is one of the better options that I've seen it keeps you from using propane for heat when you have electricity and it's not too cold.

we also like our heat pump
is the tankless water heater electric or propane? If propane I would look into how much it will use, if electric you won't be able to boondock or if you only have 30 amps available you might not be able to run it and the AC or heat pump at the same time
if it were me I would get the standard gas/electric water heater.  JMHO

ASnother difference between tanked and tankless water heaters.....

Tankless burn PROPANE. to heat 2GPM you need more power than 30 amps can give so Tankless burn PROPANE

Tanked, many models can choose Propane or Electric.
Where I park, electric is "Included" (Membership mostly bue even the nightly it includes 50 amps, but then the actual owner of the land that park is on... The power company,, the Country runs it but the power company owns the land).

I would much rather burn FREE electric than Paid for Propane.

Thanks for the input.we are on a learning curve and this helps us make better decisions.

Heat pump is nice source of heating in chilly weather (the RV type heats down to about 38 degrees) and saves on propane for the furnace. 

A tankless water heater is more "iffy", with both pros and cons.  And there are both LP gas and electric models, so not sure what you are considering. Many Rvers have great expectations of "unlimited hot water" when they get a tankless, but they end up being disappointed in the benefits they actually get. Personally, I would choose a 10 gallon tank type heater over a tankless.

I tend to feel tank style water heater is better, particular if you only have 2 people and don't need to run assembly line showers with an RV full of kids.  As to the heatpump, I have one on my coach and like it, though it does have limitations (mine cuts off at temperatures below 37F, some models work down to about 32F).  So the usefulness of the heatpump partly depends on the climate you travel in, it is great for places where the night time lows are in the 30's less so for places with the lows are in the 20's.  For us in a class A with lots of glass for green house effect we rarely need to run heat of any type in the daytime if temperatures are in the operating range of the heatpump.  If the sun is out and we are not in a shaded location, it can be 40 degrees outside, and 70 inside with no heat running.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom