RV's from Cruise America

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mmurr

I am considering selling my Toyhauler and buying a used class c motorhome. I would like something in the 19-24' range. I am wondering if anyone has any knowledge or experience with used RV's from Cruise America?

Suggestion:  In the search box at the head of this page, type in the words Cruise America ....... and view over 200 threads ...... no waiting. :^)

Yes, use SEARCH to find previous pros and cons.

It's pretty much an emotional debate. Some people are convinced that any used rental vehicle is a disaster waiting to happen, while others like the value, the professional maintenance, and the used vehicle warranty.  Those few reports from who have bought them seem positive, but they may be of the mindset that doesn't worry much.

One thing to keep in mind, Cruise America coaches are custom built with very spartan interiors and few bells and whistles.

Howdy,

We've rented Cruise America motorhomes a few times for our RVing vacations over the years, and these units didnt positively impress us: they looked worn out and not well maintained.

Based on that experience we'd not buy nor recommend anyone buying a used unit from them.

Cheers,
-- Vall & Mo.

I don't know that any generalities can be made, just from the fact that the unit is from Cruise America.  You'd have to go look at some of them to be sure.  But yes it would be important to keep in mind that the previous users (renters) are generally folks with very little RV experience... hence they may not be as well cared-for as a privately owned unit.  But I've seen plenty of private units that are torn to shreds and not maintained too... so there's that.

Bottom line, with any used unit (which I highly recommend for maximum value) you've got to know what you are looking at and do thorough research and inspection prior to buying.  Check out our Library link above for many helpful articles, inspection checklists, and more.  But you can get great deals with the right amount of patience and shopping.

I think that the one generality that can be made is that a Cruise America Branded RV will be a barebones design, utilizing some more robust materials (fabrics) with minimal luxury features.

When I looked, I thought their prices weren't anything special.  It is awfully cold this winter and you are in a great time to buy a distressed motorhome from anyone.  Why limit your search to one rental agency?

I cannot think of any reason to evaluate a Cruise America (or El Monte) coach any different than another used coach. First of all, the floor plan and features would need to match the buyers wants & needs.  If it passes that test, the condition becomes paramount and any used rig requires a careful review of that.  LAST is the financial part, i.e. price, warranty, fees, etc.

One thought that comes to mind is the phase "drive it like a rental".  However, that really means little if it were maintained well over the years.  I'd look to see what repairs may have been made to it and if the work looked like it was done by someone who cared about what they were doing.

I think it can be taken as a "given" that any rental was thoroughly used and that needs to be considered in the buy decision. Afterall, the rental companies don't keep them around just for decoration!  But they also have to keep them in working order and in reasonable cosmetic condition to be able to rent them again, so there is some balance there.  Plus, there is some actual effort applied to ready the rig for re-sale with a warranty, something that few RV dealers do with their used units.

I'm going on year 6 with my Cruise America Majestic 23A RV.  Last fall I had my first major expense:  ball joints and wheel alignment- $1,700.00.  And this year I will replace the rear tires (did the front last year).  But other than routine maintenance I have been happy.  Yes, it is a bit Spartan.  But I bought it to camp in and spend more time in  the outdoors.

mmurr said:
I am considering selling my Toyhauler and buying a used class c motorhome. I would like something in the 19-24' range. I am wondering if anyone has any knowledge or experience with used RV's from Cruise America?
What toyhauler do you own?  I am considering purchasing one in the future.  I want a fifth wheel Grand Design 351M or something equally as equipped.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom