Traveling from Mill Creek, CA to Crescent City, CA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fhoghvn

Hi,

I will be traveling from Mill Creek, CA (Lassen Volcanic National Park) on 06/02/18 to Crescent City, CA.  I need some recommendations on RV campgrounds to stay at and the best route from Mill Creek.  I have a 44 foot fifth wheel toy hauler. I need a large pull through site with full hookups. 

Mapquest recommends two routes.

1.  36 to I5 North, then 199 to to Hwy 101.

2.  36 to Hwy 101.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Fred

Forget Highway 36 between I-5 and US 101.  It's very narrow and twisty through the mountains west of the Central Valley and Caltrans cautions against RVs and trucks taking that route.  If you Google Highway 36 you'll see it's popular with motorcycists who like those kinds of roads.

If you take 199 you'll have to go over Siskiyou Summit on I-5 at the CA-Oregon border.

CA 299 west from Redding is another alternative, it mostly follows river valleys through the mountains and it's fine if you take your time.

If you have a high speed Internet connection, you can go to Google maps, bring up the road or highway you're curious about and go into Street View (drag the little man over to the road and drop him there).  Then you can "drive" the route by clicking on the road ahead of you.

Attachments

• CA 36.jpg
    CA 36.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 5
I can't help you with the route, but I was interested in Mill Creek popping up. Our family had a cabin in Mill Creek from the mid 30's to the early 2000's. The place was built by my grandfather over many years and eventually became too much for his kids as they got older. All the grandkids are dispersed and nobody could take it over. We were in the area the fall of 2016 and were able to swing by Mill Creek. I guess the store is up for sale again.

Looking at ca 299, i think it is definitely the best route to take at this point.  Since my rv is 44 ft long plus my truck, I just want to stay away from sharp curves as much as possible.

Interesting comment about Mill Creek.  This will be our first time going through there and I'm sure it will be beautiful.

Thanks,

Fred

Back
Top Bottom