New York Times on Quartzsite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lou Schneider

Site Team
The New York Times sent a reporter to cover this year's Rubber Tramp Rally in Quartzsite, which went on the same week as the RV Forum Rally.  It was held at the far east end of the I-10 frontage road in the BLM 14 day free camping area.

I thought RTR and Bob Well's Cheap RV Living website and Youtube channel was just about urban boondocking and how to camp on city streets without attracting too much attention.  But it looks like it's grown into more than just that.

The Real Burning Man

I was in KOFA for a few days with Kevin and others (BTW, Thanks Kevin and others, had a GREAT time!).  Plan was to move up to Quartzsite and join Escapees Boomers group.  Rode Harley out to check them out.  Apparently, Boomers and RTR were in adjacent areas in the BLM area just east of town (Diamond Mine??).  Early on, Escapees area apparently became RTR's overflow area.  The road and traffic going into that area were a complete deterrent for me.  Nasty pavement, then nastier rock strewn dirt road, with non-stop traffic. Leaving area on the Harley, going slow on crappy asphalt, got passed on the right by a van, no warning, whipped in front of me and buried me in sand. :eek:.  Checked Boomers FB page later and saw complaints about RTR invasion, and specific warning about an RTR stalker.

I'm not as dumb as I look.  Found a place out a couple miles west of Love's and got my Quartlzsite fix from there.  8)

11 months out of the year QZ is .. well. Desert. You can park on the blm land and as far as you can see there is miles and miles of miles and miles.. Last half of jan they hang out the NO PARKING, LOT FULL signs.  When last I was there I took the old dirt road North to the rally (slow trip. no issues but I'm in a car) and the pavement back to Tyson's Wash.  I had few issues.. N/B SR-95 however was a parking lot.

Wow, if you don't do anything else, you've got to watch the "pooping in a car" video.  There's a link in the Times article.  I got as far as where he keeps the dog food. 

Back
Top Bottom