1991 Ford 460

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paula Deen

Just bought my first Class C, and really excited! It's a 1991 "American by Cobra" Got it for a sweet deal! It has 87,000 original miles and over all in good shape for being a 91. Anyways, my question was does anybody know how much horsepower and torque these engines put out? Ford 460 7.5L Big block, 4 speed automatic with overdrive (off) switch. Any other useful information about these engines and RV's and how to maintain them best would be great. Thanks!

230 hp @ 3600
390 ft/lbs at 2200
For starters, if it still has plastic tank radiator, more than likely original. I?d change it out for all metal radiator. Fuel pump has probably been upgraded with that many miles. I?d change Ignition module and keep old one for spare. Check all exhaust manifold bolts/nuts. I?m assuming your doing a complete tune up, belts,and all fluid changes including transmission and rear end.
  Great engine IMO. Doesn?t need a lot of rpms. Note peak torque rpm. My 460 powered MH is running 62 mph @ 2200, which is perfect for me.
  Hope you enjoy your new adventure.

Yes it is getting a full tune-up and then some... Thank you so much for all of that great information!

Big blocks were notoriously hard on timing chains.  Unless you have proof get it done too.  Fuel milage is likely going to be around 6-8MPG.  Dont get too excited,  it is what it is.

jubilee mentioned exhaust manifold head bolts, and that is what broke on my 460. Common problem back then I guess. Otherwise the motor ran well. I had a 1977 class C and back then there was no fuel injection on the motor. Injection is way better and you will have it.

Bill

billwild said:
jubilee mentioned exhaust manifold head bolts, and that is what broke on my 460. Common problem back then I guess.

X3. I broke a couple bolts and warped a manifold. Ended up replacing with Banks stainless headers ($) never had another problem, and I ran it hard as it was in a 40? motorhome towing a Jeep

Your 460 has a double row roller timing chain, not a morris silent timing chain. It will easily go 200,000 miles.

Richard

Back
Top Bottom