Revcon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CVN73 Sailor

I have found some adds for a Revcon motorhome for sale. After doing some research about the RV I have a few questions. Does anyone know why they stopped making the RV's? What am I looking at for an RV rebuild, restore, repair? Would I be better off with something newer that I can still get parts for? I am not able to do big repairs but can take care of minor ones. The heavy duty stuff I would have to send it out for repair. I know the Revcon is a class A and I had settled on a class C rv. I am not looking to go full time but do want to travel the country from time to time. What say the experienced  RV group? Thanks in advance for your input.
Rick.

Rick-

Revcon was similar to the front wheel drive GMC motorhomes of the 70s, only even more "high end", as I understand it.  They originally used the drivetrain from the Olds Toronado, just like GMC.  When that drivetrain was discontinued in the late '70s Revcon started making their own.  I don't know exactly why they ceased manufacturing, but I assume it had something to do with economic viability.  They were substantially more expensive than comparable "conventional" motorhomes.

GMC motorhomes have a cult following and a fair amount of parts support.  (My brother has one)  I think Revcon has a similar following, but I'm pretty sure the "cult" is a lot smaller.  I think you may have some problems finding parts. 

If it were me, and your primary goal is to enjoy traveling (as opposed to spending time and money working on the RV), I would buy the nicest, best maintained used RV you can afford within your budget, setting aside some money for the inevitable things that will need repaired.  Not to be a dream killer, but most major RV rebuild and restoration projects end up being way more expensive that what the end product is worth.  That is particularly true if the only work you feel able to do yourself is the minor work.

You didn't state what year or model your considering.
Many times the components in a RV's are done by companies still in business even if the RV manufacturer is out of the business.
So parts, some parts are still available.  Most RV's are assembled from a list of parts the builder ordered for a certain model.

The overall condition is probably one of the biggest things to look at - this is assuming that you like the floorplan enough to
consider a RV not made any more.  I like my floorplan and the condition was very good when I bought it and it's no longer being made.
Then again I looked for some time before I found my unit that met all my must haves.

Usually (but not always) IMO a RV builder stops making RV's when they are no longer making enough profit because of low sales numbers.
Of course there are probably other reasons but money or lack of it is a good bet on why a company stops - again IMO.

I agree with the other poster that you should buy the biggest best RV you can afford UNLESS a project is what you desire more
than using it to go camping or RV'ing.  Be Forewarned that many older RV's CAN turn into moneypits and take a long time to restore
depending on the condition you started with them - however unseen damage is often turned into a money magnet.  :( :mad:

Revcon was a high end brand in its day, but it's day was 30years ago now (production ceased in 1999). Most newer models are built at least as well as the 80's-90's vintage coaches, so what was hot stuff back then is ho-hum now.

Why did they cease? One major problem was the loss of the GMC Olds Tornado drive train (GM stopped building it).  Revcom tried building its own, but that added to expense and production time. Furthermore, RVs were growing in size by the early 90's and that size & type of chassis was inadequate for the larger & heavier rigs that buyers wanted. Even Ford and Chevrolet, with all their resources, had to scramble to upgrade their motorhme chassis offerings to keep up with the demand for ever longer & heavier chassis.

Owning a Revcon is a labor of love and needs the support of a cult of like-minded owners.
Learn more about them here:
http://www.revcon.org/What

I owned a 1971 Revcon,  they are a very nicely built coach.

As far as I knew,  Revcon was still in business and making these really cool 4 wheel drive wilderness motorhomes.

Revcon actually pre-dates the GMC motorhome.  Revcon founder John Hall came up with the idea to use the Olds Toronado drivetrain in a motorhome, but before GM would agree to sell them he had to construct a prototype and do extensive testing to ensure the drivetrain was up to the task.  They were impressed enough with the results that not only did they agree to sell the drivetrains to Revcon, they started work on their own GMC motorhome.

This site may be of interest to you:

http://www.cifumotorsports.com/revcon/

Here's another:

http://www.policeinterceptor.com/revcon[1].htm

I would like to thank all those that responded to my questions. I think it best to drop the idea of a rebuild and look for something that has been well maintained and in my price range. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom