Docking lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yonder

I'm still trying to get familiar with the details and the goodies on this coach. It baffles me that the docking lights work only with the ignition switch off. Aren't they supposed to be to help you see when you're backing up at night? Could it be that these were wired incorrectly 10 years ago at the factory? 2008 Itasca Horizon 40 DT

If they are like mine, they work with the ignition off (parked), or with the engine running AND the tranny in Reverse (as it would be if you were backing in to a site.) 

The combo is to prevent you from driving down the road with the docking lights on and drivers behind you thinking headlights are coming at them.

Try having someone outside check while you are in Reverse gear.

Hmmm ... will do though they sure did not seem to be on when backing into a dark barn the other day.  But it was daylight outside so maybe there simply was not enough contrast.  Thanks for the concept explanation which, clearly, makes sense.

I have almost never used mine because it is hard to figure out when they will work,  and when they do they don't point where I need them (too much to the side,  too little to the rear) . 

Mine points off to the side so as to annoy anyone next door and provides as little light as possible where I need it for connecting my utilities!!  ;D

Mine (not a Winnie product) worked any time I flipped the switch. They were at the sides of the coach, so didn't really help much in parking (docking), but the back-up lights were more than sufficient for that.  The so-called docking lights were great for illuminating around the coach at night, though.

I would guess that bright lights on the sides of the coach would be a negative, maybe even illegal, if on while driving down the highway.  Accidentally or because some yo-yo thinks its "cool".

Mine work like Ed's, but they don't illuminate what's directly behind the RV very well. I don't think they're supposed to. I always thought they were intended to illuminate the area along the rear sides of the coach, so you could see someone who's giving you hand signals when they're helping you back into a site. I just used them last week when a friend was guiding me into a site at Quartzsite and they worked great.

Kev

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom