rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Axle on a fifth wheeler  (Read 410 times)

Mitzy

Axle on a fifth wheeler
« on: February 01, 2018, 06:07:50 PM »
My husband and I just purchased a 2010 Rockwood fifth wheeler that has to us weird axles on it.  The manual calls them Rubber Torsion Axle Assembly, never heard or seen these types of axles before, always had axles with Leaf Springs.  We get a lot of bounce up and down when traveling down the road and hit just little bumps in the road.   Has anyone else every heard of these axles, or have any feedback about them. I know the previous owner said he had to replace one of the axles and has blown several tires and was told it was because the axles weren't suitable for a camper.   Any information would be greatly appreciated.

grashley

• ---
  • Western KY for now.
Re: Axle on a fifth wheeler
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 06:51:30 PM »
Welcome to the Forum!

There ARE tire suspension / mount systems that do work with campers.   I have no experience with them.
Here are some examples          https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Trailer_Suspension-pc-Axle~Less_Suspension.aspx

If you could find a model number or weight limit for the units, we may be able to be more help.
Preacher Gordon, DW Debbie
09 Grand Junction 35 TMS  Progressive HW50C
Andersen Ultimate hitch
2013 F350 Lariat LB SRW Supercab diesel 4X4   TST TMS  Garmin 760
Nimrod Series 70 popup (sold)
It's not a dumb question if you do not know the answer.

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 07:00:09 PM »
I owned one like that, and several high end brands use them. The most common is the MorRyde suspension.  It's an independent suspension (the wheels move individually) and supposed to be a softer ride.  It includes shock absorbers too.  Some people think they are broken because the wheels can tilt in a tight turn, but that's part of the design.

Here is an overview of one version of the MorRyde Independent Suspension.
http://www.morryde.com/products/87-independent-suspension-system
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

HueyPilotVN

• ---
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 07:14:25 PM »
Torsion Axles have an internal spring similar to the spring in a garage door and the hub is offset.

I have three torsion axles on my Stacker trailer and one on the Trailer Toad that supports the tongue.

The trailer ride is very smooth and does not bounce much at all.

I do think that the axles come in different weight ratings.  Mine are 4,000 pound rated.

Here is a picture of the axle in the Trailer Toad and two of the axles on the Stacker Trailer.

Edit:  The axles are rated for 8,000 pounds per axle.  The tires are rated for over 4,000 each.

« Last Edit: February 01, 2018, 08:50:40 PM by HueyPilotVN »
Bill Waugh
40' Country Coach DP
2 Jeep Commanders
Mustang Bracket Race Car
Retired from the road to Lake Havasu after 35 years on the road

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 11:33:53 AM »
A rubber torsion axle is a somewhat different animal than a rubber shear suspension axle like the MorRyde independent system.  I had overlooked that possibility in my earlier reply, but it now seems likely that Mitzy's Rockwood has the torsion type.  Here is a video on a typical rubber torsion axle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEwBhVyP4Io

Theer are also torsion axles that use mteal torsion bars, but the Rockwood description says "rubber".
« Last Edit: February 02, 2018, 11:36:58 AM by Gary RV_Wizard »
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL