Slide out awning weather guard

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mnppartain

I am at my wits end on this. I have searched online, contacted Dometic, but I have still not gotten the answers I need.

I have a 2003 Winnebago Adventurer with Dometic slidetoppers. The model numbers are 86101CQ.0031-B and 86101CQ.0051-B. I am about to replace the fabric on the toppers, but wanted to look into putting the aluminum weather guard on as well. I looked up the parts diagram on Dometic's website, and it shows the aluminum weather guard, which I assume is an option. I called Dometic, talked to two different ladies, and they keep telling me that I need to buy an Elite slide topper. Unfortunately, the Elite topper is nothing like what I am after. I have seen numerous motorhomes with the guard in place on the toppers, and I can find pictures galore. So, I bring my questions here, once again, to the experts.

1. Does anyone know where I can buy the weatherguard for the slidetoppers? It does not mount to the rail like the patio awning does, so I'm not sure if there is a difference in the two.

2. Can I buy a patio weatherguard and use it? Can the weatherguard be cut to fit? It looks like it can, but I've never tried it.

Any help you guys can give me is greatly appreciated. I've attached a picture of what I am after.

Attachments

• 15AE.jpg
    15AE.jpg
    341.6 KB · Views: 75
You should be able to buy the Weatherguard flex metal piece as a replacement part, probably for the Elite awning. Then install it on yours instead (the fabric will be proportionally narrower, so adjust the topper measurements accordingly). There is nothing magical - the flexible metal strip slips into the track on the sidewall and has its own track that the fabric slips into.  Just make sure the track slot opening is the same size (most all of them are). PPL Motorhome Parts Dept is usually an excellent source for ordering replacement parts, but you probably need a model number for the awing whose you want.  I've found it best to avoid telling a dealer you are re-purposing a part. They often get worried because people try things, mess up, and then want to either blame the part supplier or return it for a refund.

An alternative is to buy a used topper that has the shield from an RV salvage yard. You don't care if the fabric is still good - you just want the parts. Has to be the right length, though, cause you cannot easily trim the weatherguard shield.

Thank you, Gary. That's the same thing I was thinking, but it's either my hick way of talking, or something else that has everyone I've talked to confused. I have one final question. My patio awning's weather guard is attached to the RV by the vinyl on the awning. The slidetoppers I have seen with the aluminum attach directly to the awning rail. What is used to attach them to the rail?
Thanks,
Matt

Try this:  https://www.rvautoparts.com/610500-168-Carefree-RV-Awning-Cover-For-Patio-Awnings_p_310735.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjwjpjkBRDRARIsAKv-0O0_y5Mpwh9sEhaTF-fKgPzx7mh1pUQEVGueR21rB-w7RBNaX-weK8kaAg9vEALw_wcB

Hey Donnie! Welcome to the site! Noticed your first post and see you're in King's Mountain. I did a bunch of electrical work at Oglebay-Norton about 20 years ago. Met a lot of nice folks while there. I can't remember what the name of it was, but there was a great restaurant in town, and another good one just south of the plant.

OK, I'm new at this, and I'm good at asking dumb questions.

Short of buying one of these weather guards (which looks like a great product, and which I will probably shop for eventually) is there any way to brush on some sort of coating to the first few exposed inches on top of the rolled-up awning? Maybe some sort of UV-resistant flexible roof coating?

All I am looking for is something to get me by for one summer (and spread out having to pay for even more remodeling costs right now).

Stop worrying.  Your awning won't dissolve in one season. Or two or three. At worst it may fade or leaf-stain a little, and that usually requires years.

There are awning repair tapes up to around 6" wide. I suppose you could apply a strip of that over the upper portion.https://www.campingworld.com/rv-awning-repair-tape---6quot%3B-x-10%E2%80%99-54925.html

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom