Long bed towing question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
that depends on the truck 2500 or 3500. What is the truck? What is the payload on the truck? need a lot more info first please

As far as the bed length is concerned, sure. Whether the rest of the truck's capacity is adequate would have to be determined.  Since the Thor 327TB is a 5W, both cargo capacity (Payload) and Tow Rating have to be considered.

I have an 8' box and can't drop my tailgate when hooked up. Other than that, I can't see any issues with an 8' vs. 6.5'. But I imagine that varies depending on the pinbox/kingpin, design of the front of the 5th wheel, etc., anyway.

Truck is a Ram3500 extended cab 4x4.  I wanted to know if there would be clearance issues between the rear bumper and front of the drop.

nk14zp said:
Truck is a Ram3500 extended cab 4x4.  I wanted to know if there would be clearance issues between the rear bumper and front of the drop.

i have a 8ft box on my Ford and can drop the tailgate no problem - the pin box length will make a difference as Joezeppy mentioned

I also have an 8 foot bed and can drop the tailgate with room to spare. If there is any question in your mind, you could measure the distance by dropping a string with a weight on it at the fiver pin and mark that spot on the ground, then do the same thing at the fiver drop and measure the distance between those two marks. Then do the same thing on your truck from the center of the fifth wheel hitch and measure backward to your bumper and even drop the tailgate to see where it ends up. Even if you don?t have the hitch installed yet, you could basically do the same thing by using the approximate location of where the hitch goes. If it ends up looking like it?s going to me kinda close to whether it?s gonna work or not, you could then switch to mega-accurate mode on your measurements. ?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom