If fulltiming what to buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danny Pyle

Hi: my wife and I are thinking of going full time in a couple of years after retiring and was curious of the best way to go, 5th wheel or travel trailer. Right now we have a 24' travel trailer but pretty sure this won' t be enough space for fulltiming. From those who have experience what are the pros and cons?

5th wheel!  Do a lot of research,not all 5th wheels are designed for full time use....even if stated so in the advertisements! There are some (or at least we’re) manufactures, that cancel your warranty it the unit is full-timed in! There are very few true, high quality,full time units made. Some of the best are no longer in business!

My opinion...consider a used (there are many lightly used, well maintained) units out there. Let the original purchaser take the “BIG” depreciation hit!

IMO the new Ford you have may not be Heavy Duty enough to tow a 5th Wheel large enough for you to full time in.

Many times a F350 DRW unit is preferred and or needed.

Buy a Class A and tow the F250 you now have.  That way you only have to buy one more unit.
IF you get a large 5th wheel you might also need a different truck - do you would be buying 2 units.

Do what you want, but it MIGHT be work at least checking that out.  Many many people us a Class A to full-time in.
There's a reason for that..........

With your truck stick with a TT.  You can pull a decent sized TT easily.  Put a canopy over the truck bed, hitch up and go.  I would suggest you look for  TT around 30 feet long.  The correct floor plan snould get you a decent bedroom, ample closet space, and a nice kitchen.  While storage will be lacking in a TT compared to a fiver the covered truck bed and some totes and you will have plenty of storage.
Remember, a fifth wheel will drop approx 20% of its total weight directly on top of the rear axle.  A TT will load approx 12% of its total load 3+ feet behind the rear axle, but with a properly setup equalizer hitch will spread the load across all four wheels.

RedandSilver said:
IMO the new Ford you have may not be Heavy Duty enough to tow a 5th Wheel large enough for you to full time in.

Many times a F350 DRW unit is preferred and or needed.

Buy a Class A and tow the F250 you now have.  That way you only have to buy one more unit.
IF you get a large 5th wheel you might also need a different truck - do you would be buying 2 units.

Do what you want, but it MIGHT be work at least checking that out.  Many many people us a Class A to full-time in.
There's a reason for that..........
^^^^ :)) :)) :)) :))
R&S is right on. You really need a one ton unless you really enjoy white knuckle experiences. :eek:

Thanks for the input from everyone, if we go with class A we would use the wife's Subaru Outback for pulling behind but with a Class A if you have engine trouble your home is in the shop also.

Danny Pyle said:
Thanks for the input from everyone, if we go with class A we would use the wife's Subaru Outback for pulling behind but with a Class A if you have engine trouble your home is in the shop also.
Subaru?s require a flat bed trailer for towing; all four wheels must be off the road. There are a few exceptions in older manual transmission Subaru?s, but not many. It is a sad thing since I love my Subaru.

You already have a truck so do a ton of research and find a 5th wheel or TT with the floor plan you like that fits your trucks specs.  We fulltimed in a 37', triple slide, triple axle 5th wheel towed with Dodge 2500, single cab, Cummins, 5 speed manual. Tow rating was around 14,500 and CCC was 3900lbs. The only reason you would need a new truck is if you found a unit that you just had to have and you could justify trading your truck for. I really think if you looked hard enough you could find an RV that fits your needs and your truck's specs. we are not options people. We are happy with a base vehicle with just few add on's. That also keeps the price down. I know folks that have to have every option available. Not only does that dramatically increase cost but options also add weight.

UTTransplant said:
Subaru?s require a flat bed trailer for towing; all four wheels must be off the road. There are a few exceptions in older manual transmission Subaru?s, but not many. It is a sad thing since I love my Subaru.

Remco Towing shows the Subaru Crosstrek, Forester, Impreza, and Outback 5 and 6 speed manual transmission models from 2017 back as "Towable as is without speed or distance restrictions." back as far as I looked.

UTTransplant said:
Thanks for that info on the Subaru, wasn't aware of that.

Based on the year of your truck as listed, you should have a 6.7 liter diesel ... check your signature.

I'm not an expert so, when it comes to trucks and what they can tow I rely on what I read AND my own experience.

READ: I read that the only difference between F250 and F350 is one overload spring. I added air bag levelers on mine to help balance the level.

EXPERIENCE: I pulled a 35' 5th wheel over 60,000 miles in the four years we owned it with an F250 Super Duty, short bed. Never had any white knuckle experiences though we crossed the Rockies back and forth in every state except NM and in all kinds of weather. Montana is filled with 5er's. Most of them are pulled by 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks.  Most do not opt for the duallies. If yours is set up with the tow package and the tow/haul feature, it ought to handle a full time 5er.

... oh and by the way, assuming money and other considerations I don't know about for you are the same, I would not even consider a TT for full timing. 5er is the only way to go for FT rig ... from weight distribution to turning ability to ease of backing up ...  to ease of hooking up and you name it.

Yonder said:
Based on the year of your truck as listed, you should have a 6.7 liter diesel ... check your signature.

I'm not an expert so, when it comes to trucks and what they can tow I rely on what I read AND my own experience.

READ: I read that the only difference between F250 and F350 is one overload spring. I added air bag levelers on mine to help balance the level.

EXPERIENCE: I pulled a 35' 5th wheel over 60,000 miles in the four years we owned it with an F250 Super Duty, short bed. Never had any white knuckle experiences though we crossed the Rockies back and forth in
every state except NM and in all kinds of weather. Montana is filled with 5er's. Most of them are pulled by 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks.  Most do not opt for the duallies. If yours is set up with the tow package and the
tow/haul feature, it ought to handle a full time 5er.

:)) :)) :))

Yonder said:

EXPERIENCE: I pulled a 35' 5th wheel over 60,000 miles in the four years we owned it with an F250 Super Duty, short bed. Never had any white knuckle experiences though we crossed the Rockies back and forth in every state except NM and in all kinds of weather. Montana is filled with 5er's. Most of them are pulled by 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks.  Most do not opt for the duallies. If yours is set up with the tow package and the tow/haul feature, it ought to handle a full time 5er.
It?s a 6.2L gas.

Oldgator73 said:
You already have a truck so do a ton of research and find a 5th wheel or TT with the floor plan you like that fits your trucks specs.  We fulltimed in a 37', triple slide, triple axle 5th wheel towed with Dodge 2500, single cab, Cummins, 5 speed manual. Tow rating was around 14,500 and CCC was 3900lbs. The only reason you would need a new truck is if you found a unit that you just had to have and you could justify trading your truck for. I really think if you looked hard enough you could find an RV that fits your needs and your truck's specs. we are not options people. We are happy with a base vehicle with just few add on's. That also keeps the price down. I know folks that have to have every option available. Not only does that dramatically increase cost but options also add weight.

Am I reading this right? A triple 6,000lb or 7000lb axle trailer....a GVWR of 18,000lbs - 21,000lbs?  Pulled by a PU that has to tow rating of 14,500lbs? 

ALLOY said:
Am I reading this right? A triple 6,000lb or 7000lb axle trailer....a GVWR of 18,000lbs - 21,000lbs?  Pulled by a PU that has to tow rating of 14,500lbs?

Yep. We had a Dutchman Signature XL 36 RL-BS

http://www.dutchmen.com/media/5108/1998-signature.pdf

I know OP specified TT vs 5er, and we?ve only had ft experience in class a, but want to put in two cents.
If those are the only considerations, 5th wheel, no doubt. We?ve met folks ft?ing in everything from camper vans and up. We?re perfectly happy in our class a setup and would recommend considering it.  You can?t beat a 5er for living and storage space, but we?re managing fine. (Admittedly still tweaking and downsizing and going on two years?.)  We both have office space set up and work full time out of the coach. We usually move every three or four weeks and that?s the key, for us, to the MH over a 5er. If we slow down to like four moves a year, a fw will definitely be a stronger contender. (And my thoughts about that isn?t about set up time?I?m sure experienced 5ers can set up as fast as me, and those few minutes difference don?t matter. It?s the frequency of traveling time increases the frequency of lunch stops, overnight stops, etc. just the convenience to, whatever the weather, make and eat lunch, hit the John, take a nap... without opening the door. And on overnight stops, if we want to do any sightseeing or find a nice restaurant in town, can drop the car in about five minutes.)

You already  have a truck and trailer - why not try full timing in it as is? You will soon learn whether or not you need more space, more options, more money  ???

Meanwhile keep shopping; you may stumble on the perfect unit(my wife has done that twice!)

Yonder said:
... oh and by the way, assuming money and other considerations I don't know about for you are the same, I would not even consider a TT for full timing. 5er is the only way to go for FT rig ... from weight distribution to turning ability to ease of backing up ...  to ease of hooking up and you name it.
  Why wouldn't you consider a TT for full -timing?  We have a tt and I am trying to get a sense of how long/ much people generally use their tt.  Small trips, long trips, full-time?   

Back
Top Bottom