If fulltiming what to buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
fifth wheel all the way.
there is a difference between tt and 5er tow cap. 5er is larger.
with a tt, you must buy a bunch of stabilizing gear to even get to half as stable as a 5er right off the lot. read the GCVW rating on your truck all are different.
a tt sits lower than any 5er will. 5ers do sit much higher than any tt will.
in most conditions a 5er is more stable than a tt except in a 90 deg cross wind. wall size there. (even a extra legal loaded lowboy commercial truck can be blown over).
a 5er gets you more bang for the buck. including inside space.
better built 5rs have far stronger frames than any tt.
tt or 5er the cheap ones are well... cheap.
5er you lose pu bed storage. you gain hidden storage in the coach. tt no in coach storage.
5ers do cost more than the avg tt, for a reason.
search the web, go to dealers lots and walk through a lot of coaches.

i am going to buy a rear kitchen montana. seeing on line thought gag. but in real life i love it.
spend a year just looking.
used... someone else took the cash hit. seller hiding problems?
new you get all the problems that are unknown. and get a tax hit. (yes i will buy new).
also look into state tax and reg. set your domicile to that state for a smaller tax hit. might even save big on the sales price?

no mater your choice just get out there and enjoy life.

Laura and Charles pretty much hit the high points.  I will only add, that my wife has a bladder issue, she has to use the facilities about every hour or so.  In our Class A, I don't have to stop and find one, don't even have to pull over or even, slow down, she just goes back and uses it.  I can't even imagine how annoying that would be if I had to even pull over and stop every time. 

I would do it, but it would be annoying. 

I would go with a 5th wheel. I am doing my research for the last 6 months and on every webpage or forum post I read they say 5th wheel > TT.

You need to figure out your needs and a good layout before making the purchase.

There are some good brands out there but weight is a big factor. Seems like if you want a good quality unit for full timing, 1 ton truck is a necessity.

Fivers have front living, front bath, and front kitchen models. There's no lack of floorplans out there, but it's hard to decide what is best for you. What aggravated us when we were looking was some of the dumb stuff manufacturers do. We looked at a new Pinnacle that looked great.... until we got to the bedroom. Instead of a decent wardrobe, they put a window in the front, and a sofa all the way across inside. 40+ foot of fifth wheel, and less than 24" of wardrobe unless you don't want washer and dryer.

Oldgator73 said:
I?ve seen that area as a lounge.

http://rvdailyreport.com/products/dutchmen-unveils-komfort-front-lounge/

The problem for us is that my wife has trouble negotiating stairs. She sometimes goes a day or two without leaving our motorhome because of that. I suppose I could modify the space into a large storage area if we decided to go that route...

NY_Dutch said:
The problem for us is that my wife has trouble negotiating stairs. She sometimes goes a day or two without leaving our motorhome because of that. I suppose I could modify the space into a large storage area if we decided to go that route...

Remove the bed and make that area a man cave.

If stairs are a problem (as they are to my wife),  then a 5th wheel is out.

Many have 6 narrow folding steps just to get up to the entry door.... and then 3 more up to the bathroom.

sightseers said:
If stairs are a problem (as they are to my wife),  then a 5th wheel is out.

Many have 6 narrow folding steps just to get up to the entry door.... and then 3 more up to the bathroom.

Yeah, that's pretty much what we're arriving at too. A TT is looking a lot better in that regard. We're doing some preliminary planning for when age and infirmity takes us of the road with a motorhome, but we're still able to spend the winters in warm country. We're thinking of looking into parks in Florida that offer a seasonal rate for the winter months, and a storage rate the rest of the year, while leaving the RV in place or the park moves it on and off the site on request. We know of a few that do one or the other, and a few more that have said they could work something like that out. Hopefully it isn't something we need soon though...

Back
Top Bottom