Shifting question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wijames2002

When just driving around town, do I drive in "Drive" or "Overdrive"? For some reason the concept of overdrive just isn't registering with me.

Shouldn't matter if you have it in Overdrive or not. Overdrive is just an 'Extra' gear.  Picture a 4 speed stick shift car. Now picture that the manufacturers added a 5th gear, and called it Overdrive.  Well around town, you would never shift to that 5th gear, because you need to be going 50 mph or so to do that.  But once above 50 mph, you shift to that 5th gear.  Your RPM on your tach drops, hence your engine is working less.  Engine working less = better gas mileage.  But your transmission will automatically make that decision.  So, unless there is something unusual about your RV (and others will correct me), always just leave in the default setting of Overdrive. 

I've never had a gas MH with an overdrive setting.

But I have a full size van with the OD feature and it's normal to live it in the OD setting.
I assume the time you would not use the OD setting would be towing up or down hills.

Otherwise leave it in OD.

A lot depends on conditions Overdrive is normally used for Long flat drives.. In Town you are stopping for traffic, red lights, stop signs, and may well never actually go into overdrive, so you may choose to switch it off.

Very hilly country or under some wind conditions you may find OD switching on and off automatically. If this happens often switch it off.

If it goes into over drive and stays there for miles and miles and miles.. That's when you use OD.

It's an automatic transmission, so put it in Drive and let it select the gears.  If you have an OD button of some sort, it is more likely to be an OD lock-out to prevent its use than a way to select it.  Even if you can select it, the "automatic" part will use whatever gear is optimal for the driving situation.

I'm guessing you have the GM 4L80E transmission, which only has 4 gears anyway. It also has torque converter lock-up for improved fuel economy in light duty cruise conditions.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
It's an automatic transmission, so put it in Drive and let it select the gears.  If you have an OD button of some sort, it is more likely to be an OD lock-out to prevent its use than a way to select it.  Even if you can select it, the "automatic" part will use whatever gear is optimal for the driving situation.

I'm guessing you have the GM 4L80E transmission, which only has 4 gears anyway. It also has torque converter lock-up for improved fuel economy in light duty cruise conditions.

How can I tell which transmission I have?

If the transmission seems to be hunting a lot, I'll turn off Overdrive. Otherwise, I just let it do its thing.

How can I tell which transmission I have?

Do you have the chassis owner manual for the coach? Might be in there.  In any case, for that year & make of coach it's a 1998 Chevrolet P32/P37 chassis with the 454 (7.4L) GM V8. That was always coupled to a GM 4L80E or 4L85E 4-speed automatic for the motorhome chassis becauue it's the only one capable of handling an 18,000 lb GVWR.  Those two trannys are essentially identical from a owner/driver viewpoint.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
traxster
Back
Top Bottom