When is length a factor??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mship

Greetings All - we sold our Sandpiper fifth wheel and 3500 Sierra Dually. Kids are too big for the crew cab and the family is more comfortable overall in our 2016 Yukon XL Denali 6.2 with max tow rating of 7900 pounds. The travel trailer we are considering is 38? long with a dry weight of 7300 lbs. We are at the limit once lightly loaded and are wondering when length comes into play. Salesman swears - shocker!! - that with the Blue Ox hitch he sells, weight will be distributed and sway won?t be an issue. I?d love to hear from anyone with experience towing a similar set up. Many thanks!!

Welcome to the forum!
Others will answer but I can tell you there is no way your SUV can handle that trailer.  When loaded the trailer will be close to 10,000 #.  Also, the length is too much for any SUV.  You need your wife to follow you in the SUV. 

I own a Yukon XL, 4x4, tow rating 8200#, HD tow package, yada yada.  You will get more technical advise than you can process on your post here.

I'll tell you first hand, I have a 20' TT, weighs probably 6000# loaded, 5100# dry weight, and I would not go much bigger at all.  I have a neighbor with similar Suburban set-up, pulled a 25' camper out west, weighed 7200# loaded, came home and immediately bought a Dodge 2500 pickup.

I'm envious of your newer Denali, but you will be very disappointed if you even slightly push the specs, or come close to the specs. 

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Don't even think about it!
AMEN!!

Here is why:  That 7900# max tow assumes only 2 passengers at 150# each.  No cargo.  Subtract the weight of all passengers (less 300# allowance), the WD hitch and all cargo in the Denali.  THAT is your real max tow, and that number will be closer to 7400#.

The camper starts at 7300#.  Now add for all options in the camper, the weight of 2 FULL Propane tanks, a battery, pots and pans, food, clothes, bedding, bath towels, toiletries, lawn chairs, charcoal grill, tool box, ........You will be much closer to 10,000# than you are to 7300#.

You can get away with a couple hundred pounds over, if you like white knuckles.  This rig will be a TON - literally - overweight.

Maybe I'm a wuss, but even weight issues a side I wouldn't pull anything close to 30' with an SUV or 1/2 ton truck.
They just don't have the weight and stability to handle anything beyond perfect towing conditions and situations.

IMO you should be looking at trailers under 30' and go from there.  Or seriously upgrade your TV.

Welcome to the forum.

Many people have a Motorhome that's not 38ft and you want to pull that behind a SUV?

You can ignore our advice and do what you want but don't say you were not warned.

High winds could tip you over and emergency stopping would be much longer than normal with a proper sized unit.
If anyone is hurt - guess who would be held responsible? 

You could get a 40ft or more MH and tow the Yukon behind it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom