RV Purchase

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jehutch

Looking to purchase a 2004 Fleetwood Bounder 38N motorhome with 22,000 miles.  Date code on tires show 2012.  $2000 to replace current Michelins.
Any suggestions on cheaper brands or stick with Michelins?
Any members with experience with this model?
What to beware of?
Problems?
Good points?

Appreciate any help/advise/cautions/suggestions...!

New member, just joined.

Welcome to the forum!  You might want to consider joining FMCA.  They offer members discounts on both Michelin and Continental tires.

Lots of excellent tires available at lower prices than Michelins (or the Goodtear RV tires as well).  Identify your tire size and load range and start shopping. Some of the excellent brands with lower prices include, Toyo, Yokohoma, Cooper, Hankook, Kumho, Sumitomo, Firestone, and BF Goodrich. And no, those aren't "China bombs" - they are all respected international brands.  You might also find some deals on Continental and Bridgestones in your size.

BF Goodrich is a Michelin-owned brand and in the 19.5" and 22" sizes they are often identical to their Michelin counterpart, yet lower priced.

I bought Michelins thru the FMCA Michelin Advantage program. I got them from the largest tire DISTRIBUTOR in Georgia, who also does tire repair/installation on trucks at their Atlanta warehouse. I was told that my price (LT225R75/16) was $10 each less than their cost!. I did not consider their installation and balance cost unusual. They told me they did at least one motorhome a week on the FMCA program and actually had one office person who was an expert at knowing the system and its paperwork. It was easy and painless (other then the damage to the wallet).

If I had done anything else I probably would have bought Toyo on the best deal I could find, as I have read a lot of good things from folks on the RV forums about them.

Charles

jehutch said:
Looking to purchase a 2004 Fleetwood Bounder 38N motorhome with 22,000 miles.  Date code on tires show 2012.  $2000 to replace current Michelins.
Any suggestions on cheaper brands or stick with Michelins?
Any members with experience with this model?
What to beware of?
Problems?
Good points?
Appreciate any help/advise/cautions/suggestions...!
New member, just joined.
Welcome to the world of Bounders. I just used the FMCA program to put Continentals on my coach. They were over $100.00 cheaper each than the sale price of the Michelins.
Yes I have a little experience with Bounder.
Bill

Just remember you get what you pay for. Also watch the DOT code on the tires, first 2 numbers is the week and the last 2 is the year. ( 0618 ) would be week 06 of 2018.

Just remember you get what you pay for.

Conceptually true, but price is not always a reliable indicator. For example, where brand name recognition is an important factor, advertising and distribution channel overhead can substantially increase pricing without any real benefit to the buyer.

I will put the Continental's up agents the Michelins any day. I already have over 8000 miles on them. I think they ride as good or better than the Michelins.
Bill

I believe that Michelin makes good RV tires, but so do other tire manufacturers. And some of them cost substantially less than Michelins. Any good brand of tire should have no trouble lasting 7 to 8 years on an RV if they're properly maintained. We have Michelins now, and while they've been good tires, I doubt we'll replace them with Michelins. We're not going to wear our next set of tires out (unfortunately) we're going to age them out - just like we did our Michelins.

Kev

BFGOODRICH 225/70R19.5 - $293.44 each through FMCA.  Not too shabby.  That's a lot less than what my current tires cost and I have the exact same brand on right now.

How much time did your current tires have before you replaced them?  Was time or tread wear the reason for replacement?

I ask because I recently purchased a 2013 Winnebago Vista w/ 17,000 miles on original tires.  At five plus years on them I am starting research on what/when to replace them.

banjosimpa said:
How much time did your current tires have before you replaced them?  Was time or tread wear the reason for replacement?

I ask because I recently purchased a 2013 Winnebago Vista w/ 17,000 miles on original tires.  At five plus years on them I am starting research on what/when to replace them.
Look at the date codes on the tire not the year of the coach. They could be older. I would look at the FMCA tire discount program.
Bill

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom