Differences between Ford and Chevy 7 pin trailer connectors?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evalbert

Anyone know, are older (2002) Chevy and Ford (2005) 7 pin trailer power connectors different?

I have 2 RVs that I will be using with a 2002 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD truck.  The first is a Lance 1996 10' over the cab drop in camper - this camper came on the truck when I bought it used.  I found that everything worked except the backup lights on the camper.  In checking out this problem, I realized that the wiring diagram for the camper shows the backup lights as "yellow wire" on one of the six connections on the edge of the plug, with the center plug being "ground", while the Chevy 7 pin connector shows the center plug being "backup light".  I found that the past owner had rewired the camper connector to change the yellow back up light connector to the center plug and the ground to an outer edge connector, but the yellow center connector wire was loose.  That I can fix by reattaching the wire, but I also have a 2006 Forest River 5th wheel I need to pull with this truck - that I used to pull with a Ford 250 SD (stolen last summer).  I can't get to that trailer at this time since it is in another state, but as far as I can remember both that trailer and the truck had a standard 7 pin connector where the center pin was "ground" and backup lights was on the outer edge.  I think I need to have the connector on the Chevy truck replaced with a modern standard 7 pin (or 8 pin) connector so I can attach both RVs using the standard wiring (I'd rewire the Lance back to its standard too).

Any one else have this problem or know if the Ford and Chevy connectors are different?  I can't find a Ford diagram on line.

In theory the connectors are standard across makes and models however there are a couple of differences.

1 Brakes... May or may not be connected  LIkewise back up lights, Rare that they are connected

2: Battery charge line, again may or may not be connected.

But the pin outs are the same.

Search online, download and print out a Bargman wiring diagram.  It is what RV manufacturers have used almost for ever.  They are all the same.
GM products almost never have the fuse installed for the battery charge line.  In the under hood fuse panel, I think it is post 1 there is a dummy fuse.  Replace that with the correct 30A fuse and you will have power.

Thanks for the suggestions.  My Chevy does have a 40 amp fuse in the RV charge line circuit, but it still has the GM plug port, so I think you are right in that I'll need to get another more standard plug port installed.  I'll look up the Bargman plugs. 

There is no single purpose assigned to the center pin - it is altogether optional. It may have no function at all (not wired) or may be used for whatever is deemed useful. RV trailers commonly use it for back-up lights, but utility, cargo, horse etc. trailers may have different needs. Plus, as you have seen, truck campers can be a bit unique.

You will also find some rather unique plug wiring on motorhomes that have separate stop & turn lights. Nobody has come up with a good way to handle the two extra wires needed, so the wiring solutions tend to be rather creative!  ;)

Thanks to all.  I've visited a trailer dealer who helped me figure out the proper way to wire the Lance camper into the right configuration for my Chevy truck.  Have also verified that the plug on the truck is the proper one for use with the standard plug on my 5th wheel.  Good to find help on line here quickly.  :)

Today I spliced the original Lance wiring into the more modern truck to RV cord.  All went well and all the RV functions are now correct and working, including the backup lights and charging circuit.  So we're ready to go camping.

Thanks for the suggestions and help.  Nice to have this forum. :) :))

Ed

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoyL57
Back
Top Bottom