rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: I guess I'm just ranting  (Read 2091 times)

Oscar Mike

Re: I guess I'm just ranting
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2018, 05:32:34 PM »
I no longer book my trip, only the destinations. I don't have a problem paying for a private park, in fact I almost prefer it while traveling. KOA & Good Sam offer a variety of Parks and is usually my first choice when traveling from home to the destination or destination to home.

Isaac-1

• ---
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2018, 05:39:22 PM »
It's also easier to find sites if you stop earlier in the day. At 3-4 pm there are likely to be sites available, but by 6pm most have been taken.

This is true, you can sit out at most no-reservation campgrounds and watch the constant procession of RV's roll in looking for a space to stop after about 4 pm.
2002 Safari Trek 2830

decaturbob

• ---
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2018, 07:53:40 PM »
I may sound selfish but

Iím trying to make reservations for our 3 month summer trip. I want to visit the big 5 parks in Utah and Yellowstone with many points in between. Iím already too late making reservations in some of the public parks.

The RV industry just closed out another banner year for sales. In excess of half a million units sold. So where do you think all these folks want to use their new RVís. Yup you guessed it, Utah and Yellowstone.

The stock market took a 600 pt dump earlier this week. Is it telling us something? Historically the market can be in the bull mode for about 7 years and then it contracts. Weíre overdue. Itís coming. Some will try and time the market, the smart ones get out while the getinís  good.

Whatís the first thing folks dump when the economy contracts? Yup boats and RVís. Iíve worked hard all my life. Withheld buying expensive toys till I got close to retirement. Now retired I want to enjoy this wonderful hobby, not compete with others.

The park service probably didnít properly estimate the popularity of their holdings. With record number of baby boomers retiring daily and working folks with more leisure time itís only inevitable that public parks are going to be stressed. Public money goes elsewhere.

So about that market contraction Ö.. I guess I am selfish!

you have to plan better and well into the future.  I will plan 2019 trip in 3 months that have us going out west.  Also time of year is critical, early spring or late summer....avoid the 3 month june-july-august periods for the popular places out west
proud to have a 2008 Tioga 31M MH

camperAL

• ---
  • Back Into RV'ing
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2018, 03:26:40 AM »
Hi Timejet,

With a lot of baby boomers retiring, I've always wondered if things might get crowded. Along with high demand of RV campgrounds I've figured that some increase in costs at these campgrounds will occur. This also might be incentive to build more campgrounds in places.

Because of this, I plan to reserve my spaces ahead of time. One can always cancel before it costs you. Figure on doing some bookdocking to lower the average cost of staying on the road, and make room for others.   ;D
CamperAL (Indiana)
(2006 Coachmen Mirada 290 KS )

Oldgator73

• ---
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2018, 09:59:33 AM »
Hi Timejet,

With a lot of baby boomers retiring, I've always wondered if things might get crowded. Along with high demand of RV campgrounds I've figured that some increase in costs at these campgrounds will occur. This also might be incentive to build more campgrounds in places.

Because of this, I plan to reserve my spaces ahead of time. One can always cancel before it costs you. Figure on doing some bookdocking to lower the average cost of staying on the road, and make room for others.   ;D

A full refund is not always the case. Read the fine print before you reserve. Some state parks charge a cancellation fee. Some will charge a fee if you change the site. Not much but still aggravating. I would posit some private CG's do the same.
Retired Air Force
2016 Winnie Drop
2016 Nissan Frontier
1952 Wife

Dragginourbedaround

• ---
  • I look out the window and see trees, I'm camping
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2018, 10:11:28 AM »
A full refund is not always the case. Read the fine print before you reserve. Some state parks charge a cancellation fee. Some will charge a fee if you change the site. Not much but still aggravating. I would posit some private CG's do the same.
:)) They also charge a fee for making the reservation. I think it's $5 per reservation, so you can add that to the cost of the site.
Gene

2013 Winnebago Adventurer 37F
2011 Honda Fit

jagnweiner

• ---
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2018, 11:55:42 AM »
Right now I'm waiting until 0001 hours on Feb 7 to reserve a site in Kodachrome Basin - 4 months in advance. We want to stay 5 days, I wonder if I'll have to book every morning for the 5 days.

Tim-

Hope you are successful at Kodachrome.  When we visited Bryce, we stayed there.  It's a beautiful park, a bit of the drive off the beaten path.   When we stayed there, there were only four full hook up sites and the rest didn't even have electric.  However, I believe they have converted a number of the sites.   I was going to recommend Utah state parks, because the window is four months, not six like the national parks.  When we went to Arches, we stayed at Dead Horse Point (beautiful, but no water on site).
-Scott
2000 Itasca Horizon 36LD

UTTransplant

• ---
  • Cedar Falls, Iowa
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2018, 01:30:33 PM »

Right now I'm waiting until 0001 hours on Feb 7 to reserve a site in Kodachrome Basin - 4 months in advance. We want to stay 5 days, I wonder if I'll have to book every morning for the 5 days.

We reserved 3 nights in mid March at Kodachrome in mid January. It was a mid week reservation, Tuesday through Thursday nights. When we made our reservation (mid morning) there were four electric sites available. Two hours later when our friends went to reserve, there were only non-electric sites available. That will be fine since he can charge his CPAP at our place, but it gives you an idea of how things fill up. March and April are popular times at Kodachrome since it gets HOT there beginning in May. And you should be able to get your site by reserving on the first day the reservation window opens.
Pam and Kevin plus Lily the cat
2018 Tiffin 37PA
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk toad
https://toobusyforwork.com

SpencerPJ

• ---
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2018, 06:01:08 PM »
There is a trick at least in State parks here in Indiana.  You can reserve 6 months out, 14 days max stay.  It costs $10 to make any changes after you have reserved. 

Example: Say you want the special site at XYZ park on Sept 1,2,3,4.  back up to March 1, and reserve, right.  Try that and every time that special spot will be gone. 

Well, back up another week and reserve it on Feb 25th, and book it August 25 - Sept 4th.  You therefore get your sought after spot over the Labor Day Holiday.  Then about May 1, call and change your reservation to Sept 1,2,3,4.  They will charge you $10, and refund the difference. 

I was floored when I found out this is how others did it.

butchiiii

• ---
  • A day RVing is better than a Great day at work!
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2018, 10:35:27 PM »
There is a trick at least in State parks here in Indiana.  You can reserve 6 months out, 14 days max stay.  It costs $10 to make any changes after you have reserved. 

Example: Say you want the special site at XYZ park on Sept 1,2,3,4.  back up to March 1, and reserve, right.  Try that and every time that special spot will be gone. 

Well, back up another week and reserve it on Feb 25th, and book it August 25 - Sept 4th.  You therefore get your sought after spot over the Labor Day Holiday.  Then about May 1, call and change your reservation to Sept 1,2,3,4.  They will charge you $10, and refund the difference. 

I was floored when I found out this is how others did it.

Thanks that is great intel!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 02:24:01 AM by Sun2Retire »
Butch & Joanna
Ram 2015 Reg Cab 1500
2015 Keystone Passport 2890RL