TV removal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yonder

I've been reading about TV removal for days and cannot get any traction.  I apologize if this has already been covered. 2008 Itasca Horizon 40TD .... bedroom LCD flat screen TV . I have read a hundred posts but no one seems to have discussed the rigid, (VERY RIGID) non-swivel mount that mine has. I have removed ten screws but that puppy still has a tight grip. Can't  see behind. Has anyone successfully removed a bedroom TV from a similar model without tearing the whole wall loose?

edit by staff - changed message icon to topic solved

Winnebago goes 110% out to secure things inside the cabin, I had the same dilemma when I was removing my old tube TVs in my Horizon. It was a challenge to decipher their engineering. If nobody here has an idea, Winnebago owner relations can email you the structural diagram for that TV mounting.

On my mount, there is a wall rack system, then a mount on back of TV.  The TV hangs on wall mount, and at the bottom of TV, are set screws that secure to the mount on wall.  Grab a little mirror and flashlight, too hard to get head against wall and see.

I agree, Winnebago does a fantastic job at securing things.  It took a lot of research and trial and error to figure out like the fireplace, the fridge, and our main TV in the side living room.  That one was exactly like Spencerpj's only the screws were on the top rail behind the TV.  Once I figured it out, it all made sense and was a great mounting job.

Well I managed to remove the one in the main LR area after disassembling some cabinetry. Made me feel sorry for the bloke on the assembly line who put this thing in. The bedroom TV is still laughing at me. No worries, I'll win eventually. It doesn't know I'm trying to decide between cutting torch or sledge hammer.

spencerpj said:
SawZall works great too  ;)

Now that's not a bad idea if all else fails. I'll do that if it gets to the point that I give up on non-destructive options.  I would like to be able to re-use this mount although I'm not sure I could actually get it back together with a new TV ... and I am trying to consider the next guy who would have to tackle it.

Hey Yonder,

Is there anyway you could provide some photo's? I am deployed and bored to no end here. I have plenty of time to reverse engineer your BR TV mounting system. I also, googled your make, model year of your RV, but not sure if I am looking at what you may have.

Yonder
I have the same mount in my 09 Journey. It has two parts - a frame attached to the sidewall with wood panel sides and a bracket attacked to the tv itself.
The top of the frame has a rail that the bracket attached to the TV hangs on. To get the tv down, look up under the rear of the tv for the bottom portion of the bracket attached to the tv - you will likely need to remove all cabling to the tv to be able to see this. There are a couple of small screws thru that bracket that attach to the wall bracket holding it with the bottom tilted back. Remove those screws and the TV will swing forward to the vertical position. It is a very simple mount that makes it very easy remove the tv once you clear the mass of wires to be able to see the bottom of the bracket. That said, it isnt obvious how to do it until you get the wires out of the way!

I've used the 3D drawings on Winnebagoind resources page to figure out where a lot of the hidden mounts are, but I can't get them to work on your year.  Maybe I have the wrong software, but I can only bring up the 3D drawings back to 2010.

Tried to attach pics but mine are too big to be allowable will try to reduce and send.

bobmacc: you're very accurate description gave me the courage to remove all the cornice boxes and proceed. I had seen those two screws before but couldn't get to them. So now I have them out as well as two on the side metal brackets that are perpendicular to the wall and the television but there is still something holding it. I'm trying to get in there with a mirror so I can see further. I guess Winnebago Itasca was very proud of their televisions and figured nobody would ever want to replace them ;)

Victory! Thanks Bobmacc! Your instruction, plus deft application of a mini Wonder Bar and Hammer to release the stuck bracket on the bottom and we got her off. Thanks much I owe you a beer or two!

Yonder
Glad you got it off. If you have a TV over the dash, it has the same mount. With a couple if beers and hammers, you and I could likely take the whole coach apart. Mine had both sidewalls replaced so I got more experience fixing things than I ever expected but enjoy doing most jobs! Good luck

Bobmacc: Yes, I enjoy tinkering, repairing and fixing too. Not sure how a guy can successfully own and use an RV without an aptitude for tinkering.

I'm in the process of building a tray for the top of my dashboard so I have a place to put things while rolling. I'll post some pics soon.

Yonder said:
..... I guess Winnebago Itasca was very proud of their televisions and figured nobody would ever want to replace them.
I suppose the good news is nobody would be able to steal your TV  ;) . Glad you got it out, thanks for checking in.

Back
Top Bottom