Storing RV in the South for Winter and using for school vacation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captainbob2112

Hello,

We are new to RVing and are from Upstate NY. We are interested in finding RV Parks in Florida that we could store our travel trailer at for the winter. During school vacation call the park to have them get the RV out and ready for use. Then after our stay return it to storage. Are there any parks that have this accommodations? It's not a very easy accommodation to Google. 

There are a gazillion (well maybe not a gazillion) RV parks in Florida. Determine what location/area you prefer and then contact the parks in that area. Easy, peasy.  ;)

Do you plan on taking the trailer and traveling the southern US, or are you planning on staying in one place all summer? You will need to find some place that can properly service the trailer (winterize it.... yes, even in Florida) and the batteries will be the biggest issue, as they will probably be damaged from sitting all winter, not being used or charged.

Charles

Welcome to the forum.

A lot of RV parks have permanent residents.
If you visited a park - which is a good idea if possible and you came down and stayed a week or so you might
run into someone that has a pickup truck and would do that for you.
OR while you were here you could go around to different parks and check them out and ask your questions.
but that takes time so you should have a plan in advance.

You didn't say if money mattered as some parks are Very Expensive and others are very run down.
Also the farther South you go the higher the price usually, because it's usually warmer the farther South you go.

I agree with CharlesinGA that you will hurt your batteries by letting them sit for long periods uncharged.

If your expecting someone to Winterize your trailer after you leave that would take a leap of faith that it was done or a lot of money
especially if you didn't know them personally.  And how they do things may not be how you would do them - so there's that to consider.

I going to assume (because you didn't give us a lot of info) that you would be flying down - renting a car? - and then camping for a week or so
over Christmas break and/or Spring break - is that right?  Then you plan on taking it back home for Summertime use up North?

BruceinFL said:
There are a gazillion (well maybe not a gazillion) RV parks in Florida.
You are correct, there are at least a gazillion RV parks in Florida. However I do not feel that you would ever need to winterize in Florida. It just doesn't get cold enough for long enough to warrant it. It got down to 29 the other night and that is the coldest I can remember in a long time. Here is a list of the temps in Orlando last month:

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/orlando-fl/32801/january-weather/328169

SeilerBird said:
You are correct, there are at least a gazillion RV parks in Florida. However I do not feel that you would ever need to winterize in Florida. It just doesn't get cold enough for long enough to warrant it. It got down to 29 the other night and that is the coldest I can remember in a long time. Here is a list of the temps in Orlando last month:

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/orlando-fl/32801/january-weather/328169

Hey Tom - not to be picky  -  but the chart shows on 1/18 it was 28? not 29?  ;D ;D ;D    And not everyone is as far South as Orlando.

I have an outdoor thermometer that tracks highs and lows and it shows the lowest I had was 24? and I know that there were other days
that were very close to that and I had to run the furnace many times this Winter.

However I will confirm - thru TV news casters and residents of FL that this is one of the coldest Winter's in a long time, in this area.
I have friends in Crystal River and I see they are usually 2?-4? colder then the rest of the area's forecast in Central FL
And NO because this is my first Winter to spend in FL I did NOT bring any cold air down from up North.  :p

So if this is a fluke Winter then I would hope to agree with you that Winterizing in FL shouldn't have to be done.
But I seem to remember that they got SNOW in the pan handle area this year.  So where in FL does make a difference.
Mother Nature must not have got the memo - not sure if it will get next years memo either - but I sure hope so.  8)

Back
Top Bottom