EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Propane fill valve  (Read 1157 times)

Deano2002

• ---
Propane fill valve
« on: February 03, 2018, 01:26:00 PM »
went to fill my LP tank and it will not fill, tried 2 places with the same result,  so I took it apart, mechanism inside is bad where the return spring is. I assume the float is a 80% fill stop. Where might I get the whole assembly? Haven't be able to find it yet
1989 Champion LaSalle 34' project

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
Re: Propane fill valve
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 02:20:33 PM »
This is a fixed (ASME spec) tank, not a portable DOT bottle?

What you need is called a "service valve". You can find them online, e.g. Ebay, but mostly for DOT bottles, not the ASME fixed tanks.

I think this one is for a Manchester brand fixed tank, though not sure how many different models there might be:
https://www.rvautoparts.com/V13414-Manchester-Tank-Propane-Tank-Valve-For-Use-With-Manchester-Tank_p_34220.html

Here is another source that might have something:
https://propanewarehouse.com/product-category/propane-valves/cylinder-valves/
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

Memtb

• ---
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 03:00:48 PM »
    Delano 2002, propanewarehouse has a bunch of propane related equipment. I just purchased the “adapter” (OPD/ACME adapter) so I could fill my class c tank at home. I think your looking for the propane tank fill valve ( 1 3/4” ACME x 3/4” pipe), about $35.
Todd and Marianne
Home Base: Winchester, Wy.
Miniature Schnauzers - Sundai, Nellie and Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500,  6.7 Ram 6 speed manual, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom
2007 Bigfoot Class C

Deano2002

• ---
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 03:17:36 PM »

What you need is called a "service valve". You can find them online, e.g. Ebay, but mostly for DOT bottles, not the ASME fixed tanks.

I think this one is for a Manchester brand fixed tank, though not sure how many different models there might be:
https://www.rvautoparts.com/V13414-Manchester-Tank-Propane-Tank-Valve-For-Use-With-Manchester-Tank_p_34220.html

Yes fixed tank under motorhome, do I really need the one with the over fill protection?

Deano2002

• ---
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 03:19:20 PM »
    Delano 2002, propanewarehouse has a bunch of propane related equipment. I just purchased the “adapter” (OPD/ACME adapter) so I could fill my class c tank at home. I think your looking for the propane tank fill valve ( 1 3/4” ACME x 3/4” pipe), about $35.
I really wanted the original as shown but if I can't find it I can't. I'll just by a fill valve

Deano2002

• ---
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 03:24:16 PM »

is the Manchester one for a horizontal tank?

Bill N

• ---
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2018, 03:37:20 PM »
Yes fixed tank under motorhome, do I really need the one with the over fill protection?

If I am reading you right, you need to realize that tanks fill to 80 percent at which point the overfill protection allows any more gas to exhaust.  In other words, this is how you tell it is full.  Don't go cheap on that part.

Bill
Bill & Joan N in Missouri
USAF (Ret - 1961-1981)
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 35U
Workhorse W22, 8.1L Chevy V8
2013 Chevy Sonic Toad
Furbearers:  Heidi-17(Forever), Cats Grace-11 & Squeak-6, Winnie the ShihTzu - 1

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2018, 03:49:13 PM »
the overfill protection allows any more gas to exhaust.  In other words, this is how you tell it is full. 

Pretty sure that most propane fill places will not fill without the overfill protection installed
Scott
Fulltiming in a 2005 Newmar Dutch Star 3810, Spartan, Cat C7 350
Eezrv TPMS, VMSpc, 970W Solar, Trimetric 2030 Battery monitor
2002 Dodge RAM 1500 Quad Cab toad
Stowmaster towbar & Brakemaster toad braking system

Deano2002

• ---
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2018, 04:06:28 PM »
Pretty sure that most propane fill places will not fill without the overfill protection installed
I doubt they can see through the fill valve to whats behind it

Deano2002

• ---
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2018, 04:09:11 PM »
If I am reading you right, you need to realize that tanks fill to 80 percent at which point the overfill protection allows any more gas to exhaust.  In other words, this is how you tell it is full.  Don't go cheap on that part.

Bill
/quote] any good refill place will crack the bleeder valve open and close off once liquid starts to come out at the 80% level, you know this wasn't on my 89 until someone upgraded it

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2018, 04:24:33 PM »
I doubt they can see through the fill valve to whats behind it

"An OPD Valve is easily identified by having a triangular knob with the words OPD marked on the valve itself."
Scott

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2018, 04:37:40 PM »
"An OPD Valve is easily identified by having a triangular knob with the words OPD marked on the valve itself."

That only applies to portable DOT cylinders. ASME tanks do not have the triangular service valve handle. The OPD is part of the fill valve assembly on ASME tanks.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

Deano2002

• ---
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2018, 04:41:25 PM »
That only applies to portable DOT cylinders. ASME tanks do not have the triangular service valve handle. The OPD is part of the fill valve assembly on ASME tanks.
you are correct, all in one, if you look at Gary's post you can see what mine is in the link
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 04:48:09 PM by Deano2002 »

Sun2Retire

• Photo moderator
  • ---
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2018, 04:48:05 PM »

Ah sorry I misread, thought the question was regarding portable cylinders
Scott

seabreeze331

• ---
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2018, 06:14:48 PM »
I would think that any LP store would have the valve and could install it also.
My local dealer that fills my home tank replaced a change over valve on a 5W for me.
Durwood  (Dt)
Hail from the North (North Carolina) transplanted to the FL panhandle

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2018, 06:49:04 PM »

Bill

Sorry, but the OPD shutoff is not connected to the Fixed Liquid Level Gauge ("vent" or "bleeder valve") on an ASME tank in any way. The OPD is a float operated mechanical flow shut off device, while the Fixed Liquid Level Gauge is a calibrated tube with a manual valve that is opened while filling and indicates the tank is full when the small amount of escaping gas changes to liquid. The OPD is intended only as a backup to the Fixed Liquid Level Gauge. ASME tanks had mandated overfill prevention devices (OPD's) many years before they were mandated on DOT cylinders. Both OPD's serve the same purpose of course, but are different designs due to the separate fill and service valves on ASME tanks and the combined fill and service valves on DOT cylinders.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 06:51:49 PM by NY_Dutch »
Dutch

Deano2002

• ---
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2018, 07:18:40 PM »
I would think that any LP store would have the valve and could install it also.
My local dealer that fills my home tank replaced a change over valve on a 5W for me.
problem is mine is old, I most likely will have to modify mine to accept the new one. My set up mounts with a four bolt flange to the tank, the special fill valve then screws into it via 3/4" npt

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2018, 08:13:01 PM »
problem is mine is old, I most likely will have to modify mine to accept the new one. My set up mounts with a four bolt flange to the tank, the special fill valve then screws into it via 3/4" npt

It's not that old in RV and ASME tank years. I had no problems getting parts for the ASME tank on a 1986 National/Dolphin Class C I restored for a client a few years ago. 3/4" NPT x 1-3/4" ACME is the standard fill valve size used in most smaller ASME tanks like the ones in RV's.
Dutch

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2018, 10:19:14 AM »
Dutch has given you good info. ASME spec tanks require overfill protection and had it as standard long, long before the DOT spec changed to require OPD valves. This is not a new thing with fixed (ASME) tanks and parts should be available.

is the Manchester one for a horizontal tank?
I said I think it is and that is as far as I'm gonna go.  I leave it to you to verify with the manufacturer or parts supplier.
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

Deano2002

• ---
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2018, 06:02:11 PM »
Dutch has given you good info. ASME spec tanks require overfill protection and had it as standard long, long before the DOT spec changed to require OPD valves. This is not a new thing with fixed (ASME) tanks and parts should be available.
I said I think it is and that is as far as I'm gonna go.  I leave it to you to verify with the manufacturer or parts supplier.
I bought one off of Amazon, looks similar to the one you linked and, they "do not" make the style I have anymore, mine has a square flange that bolts to the tank and the brass fill valve screws into it. like nothing else I've seen

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2018, 06:21:59 PM »
The fill valve has the same 3/4" NPT thread size as old one. It screws into the existing flange...
Dutch

Deano2002

• ---
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2018, 05:24:32 PM »
yes, that is correct. Oh maybe they are all like this
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 05:26:36 PM by Deano2002 »

Deano2002

• ---

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2018, 06:17:16 PM »
Not all ASME tanks are set up like that, but it's not all that uncommon either to find that flange setup on older tanks. The fill valve/OPD is just unscrewed from the flange and the new one screwed in. The flange may need a new gasket, and make sure the new float is oriented identically to the old one for proper operation after reinstallation. And leak checked while refilling of course. I think the company that made the flange style tanks either went out of business or was bought by one of the others.
Dutch

Deano2002

• ---
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2018, 05:13:03 PM »
Not all ASME tanks are set up like that, but it's not all that uncommon either to find that flange setup on older tanks. The fill valve/OPD is just unscrewed from the flange and the new one screwed in. The flange may need a new gasket, and make sure the new float is oriented identically to the old one for proper operation after reinstallation. And leak checked while refilling of course. I think the company that made the flange style tanks either went out of business or was bought by one of the others.
I cut off everything behind that flange so that the new one will slip through and thread into the existing threads, it was all one cast other that brass fill valve, yes had planned to do all you mentioned, might have to make a gasket, don't know where I could find one that size.

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2018, 06:15:52 PM »
I cut off everything behind that flange so that the new one will slip through and thread into the existing threads, it was all one cast other that brass fill valve, yes had planned to do all you mentioned, might have to make a gasket, don't know where I could find one that size.

Automotive parts stores usually have uncut gasket material available. Or possibly a local LP distributor may have the correct gasket on hand. You're dealing with a couple of hundred PSI in the tank, so make sure you get it right. When the refiller adds the first purging charge would be a good time for a leak check with a soap solution. And do make sure they purge the tank first before attempting a full 80% fill since it's been open to the atmosphere.
Dutch

Deano2002

• ---
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2018, 06:52:40 PM »
Automotive parts stores usually have uncut gasket material available. Or possibly a local LP distributor may have the correct gasket on hand. You're dealing with a couple of hundred PSI in the tank, so make sure you get it right. When the refiller adds the first purging charge would be a good time for a leak check with a soap solution. And do make sure they purge the tank first before attempting a full 80% fill since it's been open to the atmosphere.
I'm sure I have rubber gasket material out in the garage. They will know what to do when I tell them it has been open? I go to where we get our LP for  our home. They used to fill up the coach when they filled the home tank, now I have to drive it out of town

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2018, 07:51:19 AM »
I'm sure I have rubber gasket material out in the garage. They will know what to do when I tell them it has been open? I go to where we get our LP for  our home. They used to fill up the coach when they filled the home tank, now I have to drive it out of town

Yes, just tell them the tank has had the fill valve replaced and needs to be purged. Have a small spray bottle of soap solution handy to spray on the reinstalled parts to check for leaks while it's being filled. The attendant should know enough to stop immediately if any bubbles appear.
Dutch

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2018, 08:25:01 AM »
This article should explain what purging is and why it is important. It's a bit long winded, but it explains everything.
http://home.earthlink.net/~derekgore/rvroadiervfulltimingwhatisitreallylike/id45.html

For some, this shorter version will do:
https://www.hunker.com/12001490/how-to-purge-a-propane-tank

The key is that purging is done with LP vapor, not the normal liquid fill set-up. Some retail LP outlets will not, or cannot, perform purging.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 08:32:00 AM by Gary RV_Wizard »
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck

CharlesinGA

• ---
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2018, 05:26:37 PM »
Betcha that there is a O-ring under than 4 bolt flange in a machined groove. Flange is probably a 2-1/32 or 2˝ bolt circle, same as Rochester junior and senior gauges. Just a wild guess on my part.

Charles
2007 Winnebago View 523H, 2006 Dodge (Daimler-Chrysler aka Mercedes) Sprinter 3500 chassis. Bought Sept 2015 with 18K miles, Prog Ind HW30C, Prog Dynamics PD4645, Chill Grille, Fanstatic Fan Ultrabreeze, PML/Yourcovers.com deep alum trans pan, Roadmaster sway bar

Hosted by Over The Network