Propane fill valve

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deano2002

went to fill my LP tank and it will not fill, tried 2 places with the same result,  so I took it apart, mechanism inside is bad where the return spring is. I assume the float is a 80% fill stop. Where might I get the whole assembly? Haven't be able to find it yet

This is a fixed (ASME spec) tank, not a portable DOT bottle?

What you need is called a "service valve". You can find them online, e.g. Ebay, but mostly for DOT bottles, not the ASME fixed tanks.

I think this one is for a Manchester brand fixed tank, though not sure how many different models there might be:
https://www.rvautoparts.com/V13414-Manchester-Tank-Propane-Tank-Valve-For-Use-With-Manchester-Tank_p_34220.html

Here is another source that might have something:
https://propanewarehouse.com/product-category/propane-valves/cylinder-valves/

Delano 2002, propanewarehouse has a bunch of propane related equipment. I just purchased the ?adapter? (OPD/ACME adapter) so I could fill my class c tank at home. I think your looking for the propane tank fill valve ( 1 3/4? ACME x 3/4? pipe), about $35.

Gary RV_Wizard said:

What you need is called a "service valve". You can find them online, e.g. Ebay, but mostly for DOT bottles, not the ASME fixed tanks.

I think this one is for a Manchester brand fixed tank, though not sure how many different models there might be:
https://www.rvautoparts.com/V13414-Manchester-Tank-Propane-Tank-Valve-For-Use-With-Manchester-Tank_p_34220.html

Yes fixed tank under motorhome, do I really need the one with the over fill protection?

Memtb said:
    Delano 2002, propanewarehouse has a bunch of propane related equipment. I just purchased the ?adapter? (OPD/ACME adapter) so I could fill my class c tank at home. I think your looking for the propane tank fill valve ( 1 3/4? ACME x 3/4? pipe), about $35.
I really wanted the original as shown but if I can't find it I can't. I'll just by a fill valve

Gary RV_Wizard said:

is the Manchester one for a horizontal tank?

Deano2002 said:
Yes fixed tank under motorhome, do I really need the one with the over fill protection?

If I am reading you right, you need to realize that tanks fill to 80 percent at which point the overfill protection allows any more gas to exhaust.  In other words, this is how you tell it is full.  Don't go cheap on that part.

Bill

Bill N said:
the overfill protection allows any more gas to exhaust.  In other words, this is how you tell it is full. 

Pretty sure that most propane fill places will not fill without the overfill protection installed

Sun2Retire said:
Pretty sure that most propane fill places will not fill without the overfill protection installed
I doubt they can see through the fill valve to whats behind it

Bill N said:
If I am reading you right, you need to realize that tanks fill to 80 percent at which point the overfill protection allows any more gas to exhaust.  In other words, this is how you tell it is full.  Don't go cheap on that part.

Bill
/quote] any good refill place will crack the bleeder valve open and close off once liquid starts to come out at the 80% level, you know this wasn't on my 89 until someone upgraded it

Deano2002 said:
I doubt they can see through the fill valve to whats behind it

"An OPD Valve is easily identified by having a triangular knob with the words OPD marked on the valve itself."

Sun2Retire said:
"An OPD Valve is easily identified by having a triangular knob with the words OPD marked on the valve itself."

That only applies to portable DOT cylinders. ASME tanks do not have the triangular service valve handle. The OPD is part of the fill valve assembly on ASME tanks.

NY_Dutch said:
That only applies to portable DOT cylinders. ASME tanks do not have the triangular service valve handle. The OPD is part of the fill valve assembly on ASME tanks.
you are correct, all in one, if you look at Gary's post you can see what mine is in the link

NY_Dutch said:

Ah sorry I misread, thought the question was regarding portable cylinders

I would think that any LP store would have the valve and could install it also.
My local dealer that fills my home tank replaced a change over valve on a 5W for me.

Bill N said:

Bill

Sorry, but the OPD shutoff is not connected to the Fixed Liquid Level Gauge ("vent" or "bleeder valve") on an ASME tank in any way. The OPD is a float operated mechanical flow shut off device, while the Fixed Liquid Level Gauge is a calibrated tube with a manual valve that is opened while filling and indicates the tank is full when the small amount of escaping gas changes to liquid. The OPD is intended only as a backup to the Fixed Liquid Level Gauge. ASME tanks had mandated overfill prevention devices (OPD's) many years before they were mandated on DOT cylinders. Both OPD's serve the same purpose of course, but are different designs due to the separate fill and service valves on ASME tanks and the combined fill and service valves on DOT cylinders.

seabreeze331 said:
I would think that any LP store would have the valve and could install it also.
My local dealer that fills my home tank replaced a change over valve on a 5W for me.
problem is mine is old, I most likely will have to modify mine to accept the new one. My set up mounts with a four bolt flange to the tank, the special fill valve then screws into it via 3/4" npt

Deano2002 said:
problem is mine is old, I most likely will have to modify mine to accept the new one. My set up mounts with a four bolt flange to the tank, the special fill valve then screws into it via 3/4" npt

It's not that old in RV and ASME tank years. I had no problems getting parts for the ASME tank on a 1986 National/Dolphin Class C I restored for a client a few years ago. 3/4" NPT x 1-3/4" ACME is the standard fill valve size used in most smaller ASME tanks like the ones in RV's.

Dutch has given you good info. ASME spec tanks require overfill protection and had it as standard long, long before the DOT spec changed to require OPD valves. This is not a new thing with fixed (ASME) tanks and parts should be available.

is the Manchester one for a horizontal tank?
I said I think it is and that is as far as I'm gonna go.  I leave it to you to verify with the manufacturer or parts supplier.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Dutch has given you good info. ASME spec tanks require overfill protection and had it as standard long, long before the DOT spec changed to require OPD valves. This is not a new thing with fixed (ASME) tanks and parts should be available.
I said I think it is and that is as far as I'm gonna go.  I leave it to you to verify with the manufacturer or parts supplier.
I bought one off of Amazon, looks similar to the one you linked and, they "do not" make the style I have anymore, mine has a square flange that bolts to the tank and the brass fill valve screws into it. like nothing else I've seen

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awiltzius
Back
Top Bottom