Propane fill valve

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not all ASME tanks are set up like that, but it's not all that uncommon either to find that flange setup on older tanks. The fill valve/OPD is just unscrewed from the flange and the new one screwed in. The flange may need a new gasket, and make sure the new float is oriented identically to the old one for proper operation after reinstallation. And leak checked while refilling of course. I think the company that made the flange style tanks either went out of business or was bought by one of the others.

NY_Dutch said:
Not all ASME tanks are set up like that, but it's not all that uncommon either to find that flange setup on older tanks. The fill valve/OPD is just unscrewed from the flange and the new one screwed in. The flange may need a new gasket, and make sure the new float is oriented identically to the old one for proper operation after reinstallation. And leak checked while refilling of course. I think the company that made the flange style tanks either went out of business or was bought by one of the others.
I cut off everything behind that flange so that the new one will slip through and thread into the existing threads, it was all one cast other that brass fill valve, yes had planned to do all you mentioned, might have to make a gasket, don't know where I could find one that size.

Deano2002 said:
I cut off everything behind that flange so that the new one will slip through and thread into the existing threads, it was all one cast other that brass fill valve, yes had planned to do all you mentioned, might have to make a gasket, don't know where I could find one that size.

Automotive parts stores usually have uncut gasket material available. Or possibly a local LP distributor may have the correct gasket on hand. You're dealing with a couple of hundred PSI in the tank, so make sure you get it right. When the refiller adds the first purging charge would be a good time for a leak check with a soap solution. And do make sure they purge the tank first before attempting a full 80% fill since it's been open to the atmosphere.

NY_Dutch said:
Automotive parts stores usually have uncut gasket material available. Or possibly a local LP distributor may have the correct gasket on hand. You're dealing with a couple of hundred PSI in the tank, so make sure you get it right. When the refiller adds the first purging charge would be a good time for a leak check with a soap solution. And do make sure they purge the tank first before attempting a full 80% fill since it's been open to the atmosphere.
I'm sure I have rubber gasket material out in the garage. They will know what to do when I tell them it has been open? I go to where we get our LP for  our home. They used to fill up the coach when they filled the home tank, now I have to drive it out of town

Deano2002 said:
I'm sure I have rubber gasket material out in the garage. They will know what to do when I tell them it has been open? I go to where we get our LP for  our home. They used to fill up the coach when they filled the home tank, now I have to drive it out of town

Yes, just tell them the tank has had the fill valve replaced and needs to be purged. Have a small spray bottle of soap solution handy to spray on the reinstalled parts to check for leaks while it's being filled. The attendant should know enough to stop immediately if any bubbles appear.

This article should explain what purging is and why it is important. It's a bit long winded, but it explains everything.
http://home.earthlink.net/~derekgore/rvroadiervfulltimingwhatisitreallylike/id45.html

For some, this shorter version will do:
https://www.hunker.com/12001490/how-to-purge-a-propane-tank

The key is that purging is done with LP vapor, not the normal liquid fill set-up. Some retail LP outlets will not, or cannot, perform purging.

Betcha that there is a O-ring under than 4 bolt flange in a machined groove. Flange is probably a 2-1/32 or 2? bolt circle, same as Rochester junior and senior gauges. Just a wild guess on my part.

Charles

CharlesinGA said:
Betcha that there is a O-ring under than 4 bolt flange in a machined groove. Flange is probably a 2-1/32 or 2? bolt circle, same as Rochester junior and senior gauges. Just a wild guess on my part.

Charles
no o ring flat laminated rubber gasket

Gary RV_Wizard said:
This article should explain what purging is and why it is important. It's a bit long winded, but it explains everything.
http://home.earthlink.net/~derekgore/rvroadiervfulltimingwhatisitreallylike/id45.html

For some, this shorter version will do:
https://www.hunker.com/12001490/how-to-purge-a-propane-tank

The key is that purging is done with LP vapor, not the normal liquid fill set-up. Some retail LP outlets will not, or cannot, perform purging.
this is interesting but I have never seen Menards or a Tractor supply store that sells new tanks and fills them at the store perform this procedure, I doubt these kids have been trained or even heard of such a thing.

No... I've run RV tanks dry many times over the years with no difficulties. The OPD is just a float operated valve. When the tank runs dry the only thing that happens to it is the float doesn't float...  ;)

Deano2002 said:
this is interesting but I have never seen Menards or a Tractor supply store that sells new tanks and fills them at the store perform this procedure, I doubt these kids have been trained or even heard of such a thing.
well, I was completely wrong about these two stores not purging their new tanks, I called both of them and they both do. Only new tanks and, Menards does fill Motorhomes here in Morris, Illinois.

Back
Top Bottom