50A single phase power connection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I understand what you?re saying.
I used 600V to keep it simple. I was in no way refering to large power. (personally, I have experience up to 500KV but no one wants to hear about that)
I also mentioned panel/load. You?re right, the neutral doesn?t need to be carried out if its only 3 phase load. In that case the N in transformer would be booted (but the XO would still be grounded to facilitate clearing faults).
As I said, just trying to simplify things a bit for average folks that have no interest or desire to learn our trade.
I don?t know about you but I deal with this stuff every day for tooo many years and generally don?t care to even talk about it on my off time.
Take care and have a great evening.

Bob T said:
I understand what you?re saying.
I used 600V to keep it simple. I was in no way refering to large power. (personally, I have experience up to 500KV but no one wants to hear about that)
I also mentioned panel/load. You?re right, the neutral doesn?t need to be carried out if its only 3 phase load. In that case the N in transformer would be booted (but the XO would still be grounded to facilitate clearing faults).
As I said, just trying to simplify things a bit for average folks that have no interest or desire to learn our trade.
I don?t know about you but I deal with this stuff every day for tooo many years and generally don?t care to even talk about it on my off time.
Take care and have a great evening.

I'm getting to that point...somewhat.  I've been in the Electrical trade since 1977 and topped out in 1980.  I've got about 18 more months and I'm hanging it up for a much more relaxed time.....camping, riding my motorcycle, biking, hiking, and ????  Have a good evening yourself and thank you for your input.  :D

Keep in mind there is a lot of guessing going on here, we have no idea what sort of location the OP was dealing with, so sure 600VAC, 480VAC, etc is common in most industrial facilities, keep in mind it might have been far simpler than this, such as a light industrial warehouse being fed relatively common 120/208 3 phase wye from a pole top transformer and he was trying to tap into at a conveniently located sub panel or disconnect switch that was installed at some point in time to power a now removed 208V wash down pump, electric forklift charger, or some such, both of which would generally not have a neutral connection.

In my limited experience such legacy, mystery panels and switches are common in older light industrial warehouses.  One comes to mind where there is a 60 amp disconnect on an exterior wall of a warehouse building, and no one has a clue why it is there, or even a guess why it would have ever been put there as it was not near any potential load, the best guess was it dated back to the construction of the warehouse, and may have been used to provide power to a contractor office trailer.

I'm just hoping that the reason the OP isn't chiming in is NOT because he was unsuccessful in his attempt at wiring his rig.
:eek:

mikeylikesit said:
there are VERY GOOD REASONS that the NEC does not allow the ground conductor be used as a neutral.

After years of dealing with electrical inspectors all over America and other countries,  I have determined the NEC is just like the Bible...

Depending on who is reading it....it can be made to say everything is wrong.    ;)

Congrats on the 18 months xrated  :)).  The end is in sight.
Myself, I am done in September.

I?m like a kid in a candy store now. Excited again!

Oh well, off to work now. Have a great day everyone.

Bob T said:
Congrats on the 18 months xrated  :)).  The end is in sight.
Myself, I am done in September.

I?m like a kid in a candy store now. Excited again!

Oh well, off to work now. Have a great day everyone.

Congratulations......Sept. is just around the corner, that's awesome.  Enjoy your retirement and live everyday to the fullest.

There is one problem with retirement though, as I understand it......You never have a SCHEDULED day off!  8)

"W
xrated said:
Congratulations......Sept. is just around the corner, that's awesome.  Enjoy your retirement and live everyday to the fullest.

There is one problem with retirement though, as I understand it......You never have a SCHEDULED day off! 

Her: "What are you going to do today?" Him: "Nothing..." Her: "That's what you did yesterday." Him: " I'm not done yet."  ;D

NY_Dutch said:
"W
Her: "What are you going to do today?" Him: "Nothing..." Her: "That's what you did yesterday." Him: " I'm not done yet."  ;D

I've actual used that line except that I added a little to it......"I'm not done yet, and you know that I'm NOT a quitter"  ;D

TonyDtorch said:
After years of dealing with electrical inspectors all over America and other countries,  I have determined the NEC is just like the Bible...

Depending on who is reading it....it can be made to say everything is wrong.    ;)

True 'dat!

....which is precisely why, in my field, I ask the Inspector how HE wants it done..... :D

Back
Top Bottom